some jerk is bumping me off

Gibzilla

Gawd
my own wireless lan.

dude is spoofing one of my laptops MAC.

I got wpa2 up and running with 63 random gen pw....

damn he's good.

I set my dlink to wpa2 Only so we'll see what happens. Any thoughts on how he's doing this?

Go find him. It can't be that hard, and seriously, you can't say fuck in the thread title.

AMD[H]unter said:
Go find him. It can't be that hard, and seriously, you can't say fuck in the thread title.
i bet he is parked outside his house :p

Looks like you waited too long to edit the title. Hehe.

Is this at home? Try homing in on his signal than punching his arse. Has he changed anything or is he just messin' with you?

some fuck is bumping me off

No cussing in thread titles.

Lethal said:
some fuck is bumping me off

No cussing in thread titles.

how does that sentence even make any sense? "some fuck is bumping me off"? you might as well say "some shit is bastarding me shit"

and yes, we would like to know how you jumped to your conclusion. and even if you are right, the 'guy' cant be too far away from your home.

time to start listening to his traffic, since you have the key it shouldn't be too hard.

winnie teh poo eh?

well i can't go beat his ass, my leg is in a cast after my little accident on my gixxer 1k.

Honestly though, if he cracked it once, there's a good chance he'll do it again. So I'd go get a new AP, make up some non-obvious key and SSID, and run them in paralelle. Then simply unplug the one he was hooking up to. So he can still get an IP and connect, but there is nothing else connected to it.

I was under the impression that it's extremely difficult to crack a wpa key, let alone wpa2. Was your pass phrase pretty obvious?

it is extremely difficult to crack, I don't think someone is doing that at all to him.

and what is the goal of cracking it only to cause such an obvious thing as MAC spoof that takes a PC offline??? the router's owner will surely notice that and wonder WTF is going on.

It's a lot of work to be a prick

Block that MAC in mac filtering, disable wireless administration, stop broadcasting your SSID, use AES with your WPA2.

at first my wireless was on WEP. Coz I was new to wireless. wait... actually it was totaly open at firsst

then strange shiznit started to happen like mouse pointer would move on it's own. IE will close on it's own. Lots of weird shit which never happend when it was on wired lan.

So I went and read as much as I can about wireless security and set it to wpa with a weak passphrase. then it stopped for awhile. then i started having connectivety issues after about a week. Then I switched to full random 63 character pass phrase and pro blem went away for another few days.

My router has two options. WPA2 and WPA2 only. I've jussst set it to WPA2 ONLY mode. We'll see how long this lasts now.

With all that listed above...I'd bet quite a few pints of Guinness that it's something else...like your lappy is compromised with something...non-wireless related.

please let us know your router manufacturer, model number, hardware revision, and firmware revision, si vou plais

yeah someone is fing with you, either someone in the house with access to your hardware or you have some serious trojan/keylogger issues going on there, that's way too many security steps to break through, passwords to get only to screw with you

again, it just doesn't make sense... the WHY is missing

had it been me I'd modify your boot up logo to show someone screwing a donkey or something ;) at least then it would be funny, but moving your pointer around or just spoofing your MAC to knock you offline?

makes no sense...

i've had a virus before that made the mouse jump around the screen very fast and randomly...

I've seen routers that just *hiccup* every once in awhile, and at that point the Wifi connection drops. All that was needed was to stress the Wifi component of the router harder than usual (i.e., copy half a gig of data, run a concurrent-connection program like Bittorrent without limiting the max connections) to do it. I've also seen NICs with older drivers that had WPA/WPA2 issues that caused disconnects, even though they were supposed to be fully compatible.

I'd start by upgrading the router's firmware, if an upgrade is available. Then the drivers for all wireless NICs. Then I'd make note of what you're doing when you're bumped offline. Very few go to the trouble of hacking 63-character passwords, especially when it's likely there's another open (or very weak) access point down the block.

r00k said:
Block that MAC in mac filtering, disable wireless administration, stop broadcasting your SSID, use AES with your WPA2.

Bingo! Follow these steps and you're wireless issues should go away. However,

YeOldeStonecat said:
With all that listed above...I'd bet quite a few pints of Guinness that it's something else...like your lappy is compromised with something...non-wireless related.

That's my thought as well. Cracking AES/WPA 1 or 2 isn't an easy feat with a strong password. It is possible, but not for most consumers if you catch my meaning. I suggest a fresh wipe and reload of your OS, just to be safe.

Back