• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Some help selecting an HDTV for PC use

Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
1
Hey folks,

I've been digging all over to try and figure out what my best option is. I've just moved into an apartment by myself, and i'm planning on picking up an HDTV tomorrow. I'm just at a standstill on what I should be getting.

I'm going to be using this as my primary entertainment centre, including as a monitor for my PC, and my PS3. I generally do quite a bit of gaming (lots of Civ V) and it'll be used pretty heavily for movies/TV.

I've pretty much narrowed my options down to these, since i'm likely going to be picking up the TV from Costco and these are the main ones available (besides different sizes, etc.) Keep in mind, these are Canadian prices, so likely differ from that you US folks would expect. My budget is actually a bit higher, but it seems they go from here to 1300 and above:

Samsung 50" LED (UN50EH6000) - $989
LG 55" LED (55LS4600) - $1089
LG 60" Plasma (60PA6500) - $989

The obvious thing is that the PQ is going to be an improvement on the Plasma, but there's always the small nagging worry about burn-in (i'll be using AVS Forums to make sure I break it in properly to avoid this).

I've never used this large of a display before (biggest before was only a 22" monitor) and i'm a little bit worried that i'll make the wrong choice. It'll largely be used in the evening, so not as many worries about bright rooms. My average viewing distance will be about 6-7 feet (though that's just top of my head, could be 8-9 and I can always move a bit closer/further), and viewing angles shouldn't be an issue. I'm worried about making sure that input lag won't be a massive issue with gaming.

If it's relevant, my video card is a Radeon HD 9650

EDIT:

Also realized that I forgot one that I could probably get a hold of:

Panasonic 50" Plasma (TC50PU54) - $949
 
Last edited:
Back
Top