Right now I'm having some hard time deciding as well as having a hard time with my transfer rates which is puzzling me...
I'm running 2 Raptor WD740GD in raid0 for my OS drives and my first thought for an upgrade was to 2 SSD's in raid, 2 60gb ocz drives was first thought, then the Kingston 96gb drives again 2 in raid to gain some more space as well as the V+100 drives are newer/better then the V100 drives which dont have good benchmarks.. So anyway, also thinking of adding another 74gb raptor as they are cheap on ebay and I figured it would speed up things.
Here's a strange thing though, the 2 Raptor's bench in HDtach 100mb/s random read. I also have a pair of 1tb WD black drives (non raid), they bench at 90mb/s random read. With everest disk benchmark I get about the same readings..
So, I don't know why the Raptor's are benching so slow, even tho they are older models. So I guess any paid of SSD's in raid0 would beat them, and also I'm thinking of going with a single 128gb SDD instead of raiding a pair.
Also I'm planning on upgrading my storage (getting rid of the 2 1TB drives). My first thought was to run 4 1.5TB (WD Black) 7200rpm drives in RAID5 (4.5gb) or 4 2TB (Samsung F4) 5400rpm drives in RAID 0+1 (4gb), the drives are roughly the same price, also have thought about 4 2TB F4's in Raid5 but from what I've seen that choice runs kinda slow.. in either an external case like the SANS DIGITAL ones, or internally.
So ya, a lot of questions in there, any and all help / recommendations would be much appreciated.. I've checked threads but have not found a comparable thread. Motherboard is MSI p6n SLI Platinum, 650i chipset. XP sp2 32bit but I'm going to be switching to Win7 64bit.
Thanks - Norm
I'm running 2 Raptor WD740GD in raid0 for my OS drives and my first thought for an upgrade was to 2 SSD's in raid, 2 60gb ocz drives was first thought, then the Kingston 96gb drives again 2 in raid to gain some more space as well as the V+100 drives are newer/better then the V100 drives which dont have good benchmarks.. So anyway, also thinking of adding another 74gb raptor as they are cheap on ebay and I figured it would speed up things.
Here's a strange thing though, the 2 Raptor's bench in HDtach 100mb/s random read. I also have a pair of 1tb WD black drives (non raid), they bench at 90mb/s random read. With everest disk benchmark I get about the same readings..
So, I don't know why the Raptor's are benching so slow, even tho they are older models. So I guess any paid of SSD's in raid0 would beat them, and also I'm thinking of going with a single 128gb SDD instead of raiding a pair.
Also I'm planning on upgrading my storage (getting rid of the 2 1TB drives). My first thought was to run 4 1.5TB (WD Black) 7200rpm drives in RAID5 (4.5gb) or 4 2TB (Samsung F4) 5400rpm drives in RAID 0+1 (4gb), the drives are roughly the same price, also have thought about 4 2TB F4's in Raid5 but from what I've seen that choice runs kinda slow.. in either an external case like the SANS DIGITAL ones, or internally.
So ya, a lot of questions in there, any and all help / recommendations would be much appreciated.. I've checked threads but have not found a comparable thread. Motherboard is MSI p6n SLI Platinum, 650i chipset. XP sp2 32bit but I'm going to be switching to Win7 64bit.
Thanks - Norm