Some guidance on the Ipads please

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I am currently waiting for the Asus TF700 to be released.

But Ill be honest, the Android OS is still fairly clunky and even the top of the line tablets tend to have performance issues.

So, because I have time before buying a tablet, How are the new Ipad 3's?

I mean, I have heard all about the closed system, blah blah.

I like watching movies from my ripped movie collection. I have my own MP3 files for music, etc.

So how is the Ipad? Does it work well enough that I could easily get set up for watching movies, and music from my own collection? Or am I really stuck with Itunes for everything?

Have you looked at the 7 inch Nexus that Google / Asus announced a few weeks ago?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review

With that said, getting videos on the iPad is a PITA. I've owned one since 30 April 2010 (the day the 3G 1st Gen was released) and say this with a bit of experience. Also. the native video app is needlessly finicky with formats. There are apps out there that can expand the formats you can use, but again, its an issue of getting content on the device. In my opinion, I think it is intentional on Apples part because they are trying to steer you to renting / buying content.

Most other things - the device is great. Using non-itunes/non-streaming video content on it SUCKS. It really does.

Have you looked at the 7 inch Nexus that Google / Asus announced a few weeks ago?

With that said, getting videos on the iPad is a PITA. I've owned one since 30 April 2010 (the day the 3G 1st Gen was released) and say this with a bit of experience. Also. the native video app is needlessly finicky with formats. There are apps out there that can expand the formats you can use, but again, its an issue of getting content on the device. In my opinion, I think it is intentional on Apples part because they are trying to steer you to renting / buying content.

Most other things - the device is great. Using non-itunes/non-streaming video content on it SUCKS. It really does.

Ok, thanks. I definitely want the larger screen. I guess Ill keep waiting on the TF700.

Thanks for the info..

With that said, getting videos on the iPad is a PITA.

Buy/rent from the iTunes Store, or sync from your iTunes library. Nothing painful about either option.

Getting video on the iPad is pretty simple and straightforward. You know, legally.

99% of the content on my iPad isn't from the iTunes Store and it works fine. The "problem" is that the iPad doesn't support the MKV format, aka "stuff from torrents". That's not really a problem.

There's also a real irony in that MKV is just a container format for H.264, which the iPad supports natively. A simple mux from MKV to M4V or MP4 would do the trick...

Buy/rent from the iTunes Store, or sync from your iTunes library. Nothing painful about either option.

Getting video on the iPad is pretty simple and straightforward. You know, legally.

99% of the content on my iPad isn't from the iTunes Store and it works fine. The "problem" is that the iPad doesn't support the MKV format, aka "stuff from torrents". That's not really a problem.

There's also a real irony in that MKV is just a container format for H.264, which the iPad supports natively. A simple mux from MKV to M4V or MP4 would do the trick...

So if I have ripped all of my music in an MP3 format, how do I get it on the Ipad by using Itunes, knowing I didn't buy it from the Itunes store?

So if I have ripped all of my music in an MP3 format, how do I get it on the Ipad by using Itunes, knowing I didn't buy it from the Itunes store?

Add them to your iTunes library. Then sync with the iPad.

I just read an article on that. Looks like you are correct...It is easy to do. :)

So if I used DVD catalyst 4 to convert my Movie rips to a workable Ipad format, Is it also just as simple to add those through Itunes too?

And do you guys feel that the Ipads are simply a better device? It just works?

I use handbrake or media coder to convert videos to play natively on my iPad 3 and use an app called StreamToMe to stream any video format from my pc to my iPad 3.
StreamToMe is pretty sweet and is easily configurable to allow remote streaming.
I can watch anything I share on my pc on my iPad anywhere I have decent wifi connection ( I only have a wifi iPad).

So if I used DVD catalyst 4 to convert my Movie rips to a workable Ipad format, Is it also just as simple to add those through Itunes too?

I second Zepher's Handbrake recommendation, but the tool you use depends on which platform you're on and what your preferences are.

And do you guys feel that the Ipads are simply a better device? It just works?

Yes. The iPad hardware is better than anything its floundering attempts at rivals have put together, and iOS is still the mobile leader, at least IMO.

I would say that it depends on what you'll mainly be using it for. If you're going to be using your tablet mostly for magazines, the iPad 3 wins, no contest. The display really is that good---superior to even the new MacBook Pro.

I would say that it depends on what you'll mainly be using it for. If you're going to be using your tablet mostly for magazines, the iPad 3 wins, no contest. The display really is that good---superior to even the new MacBook Pro.

I normally read books, watch movies, and surf the web.

Too a lesser extend, I do play some games. But not very many of them.

I have spent some money in the android market for apps and games as well..

Can you get any free apps\games in the Istore?

I have never bought a movie on iTunes and never will. I rip my own movies from blue ray. I use handbrake and do rips that run on bith ipads and tegra 2 android tablets. I use MetaX to tag them and get artwork. You can either transfer them via iTunes or get an app called avplayerhd. It will let you transfer movies wirelessly and you can play a lot more formats than the default player. I don't find it hard at all.

Also, if you get a device like the airstash you can store your movies on an sd card and play them wirelessly with the built in air stash's wifi.

There are serveral others players that transfer wirelessly to the iPad and play many other formats.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Ipad might be a bit better than I expected.

Now I have a 500 dollar decision to make. Ipad 3 or the Asus Infinity. :(

One last question: Since the Ipad screen is a portrait type of screen, can the tab be tilted so I can have a wide screen view of the movie?

Now I have a 500 dollar decision to make. Ipad 3 or the Asus Infinity. :(

JMO, but this is no contest. Get the iPad.

One last question: Since the Ipad screen is a portrait type of screen, can the tab be tilted so I can have a wide screen view of the movie?

Yes, the screen will flip in any direction you hold the iPad. Just flip it on its side. I doubt you'll notice the aspect ratio too much; remember, there is no 2.35:1 display anyway, so regardless of device, you're going to get black bars. You can also double-tap to zoom in on the center of the content, thus filling up the screen.

For just movies you can get the iPad 2 - cheaper, another hour or three out of the battery, and you won't be able to tell the difference.

But for web browsing and especially PDF's the iPad 3 is much better. It's not that noticeable at first but when you pick up an iPad 2 you'll wonder how you ever lived with it.

I owned an ASUS Transformer Prime and all three of the iPads. I think the iPad 3 is by far the best tablet I've used. The Retina screen makes it great for reading e-books or comics (although the iPad 2 is fine for videos). I feel like Android Ice Cream Sandwich is still too half-baked and clunky, maybe Jelly Bean will be better, but who knows when we'll see "big" tablets running that.

I do hate having to use iTunes to sync media onto it. I wish I could just drag and drop media onto it like I could with Android. That's definitely a point in Google's favor.

For watching your movie collection you can use the PLEX app and stream your movie and music collection. I use it on my new iPad and it works great.

For watching your movie collection you can use the PLEX app and stream your movie and music collection. I use it on my new iPad and it works great.

This is what I would recommend as well. Plex is the best media software you can get IMO.

Ok, I ordered the 64 gb Ipad 3 wifi only.

I sure hope I like it.

Normally I don't get extended warranties, but i got it for my 64gig since it covers 2 accidental breakages for 2 years.

there is an app on the app store called air video that streams any movie in any format to any iOS device and it is incredibly easy to use. not to mention that it fully supports airplay as well.it costs a few dollars I think but You can try it and use it for along as you like for free. the difference between the free one and the paid one is that the library randomly selects four movies in your folder so you either have to hit refresh ( which instantly randomly selects 4 more) or just pay a few dollars for the full version.

I am currently waiting for the Asus TF700 to be released.

But Ill be honest, the Android OS is still fairly clunky and even the top of the line tablets tend to have performance issues.

So, because I have time before buying a tablet, How are the new Ipad 3's?

I mean, I have heard all about the closed system, blah blah.

I like watching movies from my ripped movie collection. I have my own MP3 files for music, etc.

So how is the Ipad? Does it work well enough that I could easily get set up for watching movies, and music from my own collection? Or am I really stuck with Itunes for everything?
What format are those movies in? If you plan to stream them then you shouldn't have any problems as there's third party apps which can accommodate that, but if you want to store them on the device you may have to make a copy in a format which suits the iPad.

And you can just drop MP3's into iTunes (and either have it link to them, or copy the files into its own directory which is what I do) and then sync them with the iPad.

And if you're not aware the 4:3 aspect ratio will leave you with some black bars when watching almost all movies.

What format are those movies in? If you plan to stream them then you shouldn't have any problems as there's third party apps which can accommodate that, but if you want to store them on the device you may have to make a copy in a format which suits the iPad.

And you can just drop MP3's into iTunes (and either have it link to them, or copy the files into its own directory which is what I do) and then sync them with the iPad.

And if you're not aware the 4:3 aspect ratio will leave you with some black bars when watching almost all movies.

Ill need to convert them. I was doing that when I had the Asus Prime as well.

I got the music stuff figured out. And the ebooks..I wish I could get a different reader than the Ibooks one that the Ipad has...Are there any others in the app market?

I dont have my Ipad yet. Ended up just ordering it this morning.

iBooks is pretty good it's what I use with PDFS and EPUB books. The Kindle from Amazon is available on all platforms. What's nice with Amazon (iTunes may do this never looked) is you can download one or two chapter previews. There's also contrast and brightness controls which are better then the built in screen options.

Transferring stuff to the iPad will take a little while, if you're just watching in your house you can stream off of your desktop PC with something like Plex. http://www.plexapp.com/

You'll find lots of other things you can do with the iPad if you look around in the app store. It's kind of ridiculous how much is there sometimes.

I put a Game of Thrones episode right into my iPad without having to convert it. You know.. just saying. So don't assume you ALWAYS have to convert just depends on what it supports.

This I agree with.

I can't fathom why apple has made it so damned hard to stream music and video to the iPad. It defies all explanation.

I usually just change the extension name to MP4 and it works :)

On my PC stuff at least.

Good Reader is the best reader out of all the one's I tried. It's particulary good at dealing with PDF's.

It's a 5 buck app I think.

iBooks is pretty good it's what I use with PDFS and EPUB books. The Kindle from Amazon is available on all platforms. What's nice with Amazon (iTunes may do this never looked) is you can download one or two chapter previews. There's also contrast and brightness controls which are better then the built in screen options.

Transferring stuff to the iPad will take a little while, if you're just watching in your house you can stream off of your desktop PC with something like Plex. http://www.plexapp.com/

You'll find lots of other things you can do with the iPad if you look around in the app store. It's kind of ridiculous how much is there sometimes.

I put a Game of Thrones episode right into my iPad without having to convert it. You know.. just saying. So don't assume you ALWAYS have to convert just depends on what it supports.

This I agree with.

I can't fathom why apple has made it so damned hard to stream music and video to the iPad. It defies all explanation.

I don't find it hard at all to get my stuff moved over to the iPad. And streaming is dirt simple.

Ill need to convert them. I was doing that when I had the Asus Prime as well.

I got the music stuff figured out. And the ebooks..I wish I could get a different reader than the Ibooks one that the Ipad has...Are there any others in the app market?

I dont have my Ipad yet. Ended up just ordering it this morning.
Ah I see. You can probably find other readers -- perhaps even Amazon's Kindle app? I'm not sure I've never used it.

Ah nice, well enjoy!
This I agree with.

I think you misread what he said. He said that getting music/videos onto the iPad that isn't streamed or from iTunes is difficult. Streaming stuff is quite easy.

I am using a gen 1 Ipad that belong to my work. I am waiting for the Ipad 3 that I ordered.

As a 1st gen device, it is pretty damn sweet.

Works well. Easy to move music and movies into Itunes and then Itunes rolls it to the tablet.

I cant be any more impressed..

I like the kindle app best because of how it looks, the ease of either emailing or uploading documents to my amazon account (and then push them to whatever devices I want), sync across devices, and it's multiplatform (and looks, feels, acts the same across them all)

I've been using Handbrake to convert our DVD/Bluray collection to MP4 and loading them to iTunes. We bought our son (2 yr old) an iPad 2 and its works great.

I encode the videos I want to be stored on the iPad at a purposfully lower bitrate. I then make a playlist that gets all the videos that have "ipad" in the metadata (I use MetaX for Windows....great app for MP4 meta data).

Setup Home Sharing in iTunes. Then when your on the local network you can access "Share" on the ipad (or iphone or touch) video browser and it will let you access all the media on the itunes server. I can stream 16Mbps Bluray to the ipad no problem.

This way if we go driving my son has videos that are on the ipad itself. But while we are at home he has much great access to stuff residing on the server. Plus we have Netflix and Hulu Plus as well for even more streaming options.

As long as your needs fit within the restrictions of Apples ecosystem, they are great products. I tend to use the provided players. The only thing I don't like about the default iPad video player is that it won't let me play videos in random order like a music playlist (at least I haven't found a way yet).

I've been using Handbrake to convert our DVD/Bluray collection to MP4 and loading them to iTunes. We bought our son (2 yr old) an iPad 2 and its works great.

Handbrake doesn't have a pass-through option. You've been reencoding your videos, which degrades their image and sound quality.

Back