• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some good cheap headphones.

shoes

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
405
Hilo.

I am not too informed about the whole headphones scene these days.

I currently have audio90s because I used to game quite often, though now I don't anymore so the microphone is not really necessary. I have had audio90s before and they broke, so I am expecting these to go sometime soon. Before these I had a pair of 20 dollar SONY headphones from like 7 or 8 years ago that were pretty good. The audio90s give me very nice sound still. I am not an audiophile, but I love music especially Pink Floyd. I like to have good range in sound and want a nice solid beat with no static and what not.

That said, what would be a good pair of over-the-ear headphones (like the studio style ones) that would cost me a max of $50? I would want them to be durable, as I wouldnt want to buy new ones for as long as possible.

If you could suggest some different ones for me, that would be sweet because I really don't know much about headphones/

thanks
-shoes
 
For some good clean sound, crisp bass, and tons of comfort, Sennheiser PX100. $40 shipped Amazon and Newegg. They also fold up. Comes with 3 year warranty.

For a more old school look, Koss PortaPros. ~$40 shipped Amazon. Lifetime Warranty. A few more ppl have comfort issues with this comparing to the PX100s, but both are some of the best sounding cans under $40, $50, and even a lot better than a lot of sub $100 cans too. Also folds up.


Studio look:

For that studio look, you can find the Sennheiser HD497s. $42 Amazon, $50 newegg. They have more bass than the px100s, but have pleather pads.

A newer product you can purchase would be the Sony MDR-XD200s. Review here: http://phonephile.blogspot.com/2005/01/sony-mdr-xd200-headphones.html. The XD series just arrived in the US. The xd200s can be purchased on Amazon. Although listed as pre-order, a member of Head-Fi.org confirmed he has received it from Amazon by mail. These are studio style, have good bass, and pleather pads.

------------------

For the most info. on cans, visit head-fi.org forums. If you spend too much time there, however, you'll end up spending a lot more money on headphones =).
 
wow dude. you are like a headphones god.

thankyou so much for the advice.


btw those koss ones look so pimp.

i think i will try out the sony's probably

thanks a lot!
 
sennheiser hd-497 go for about $50 with shipping if you show around. they are really good sounding open headphones, but i prefer closed since roommates can get annoying and the closed ones tend to block alot more noise

sennheiaser hd-202 go for about $25-30 with shipping and they are awesome. i am bought a pair and started using them all the time. i decided to sell my hd-497s and keep the 202s because i just like the sound of them better.

if you can try to audition severeal pairs and see which ones sound the best to your ears. everyone is different when it comes to audio stuff.
 
compslckr said:
sennheiser hd-497 go for about $50 with shipping if you show around. they are really good sounding open headphones, but i prefer closed since roommates can get annoying and the closed ones tend to block alot more noise
I have these, and love them (wearing them right now in fact). They are ridiculously comfy, you can barely feel them on your head. Yes, they are open, but they block out most ambient noises, yet you can still hear people calling for your attention, or the phone ringing. It makes you feel less guilty about having headphones on 8 hours a day. :D

Pricegrabber results for HD497s.

If you have problems with the cords on your headphones breaking because of them getting tangled, the HD497s have a solution: the cord is entirely replaceable, Sennheiser sells the cable for something like $8.99. If the cords get stepped on or something, they usually get yanked out of the actual headphones nice and easy, causing no damage to the 'phones. Great design.
 
Back
Top