Some good cheap earbuds @ Walmart.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 10, 2000
Messages
6,849
I just got a Zune and the stock earbuds flat out suck. Are there any good cheap Earbuds at Wal-Mart? Can't order anything online for a bit and I will be going to Wal-Mart in the next couple days. I don't have a car so I can't really go anywhere else. Would like to spend no more than $20 unless I have to.
 
Go to Radio Shack (if you have a Walmart you've got a Radio Shack someplace) and get the Koss KSC-75 earclips. You'll be absolutely floored with the quality from the moment you press Play. About $25 but they go on sale very often for $15 or so... highly recommended and you'll get to hear the real sound quality that Zune is capable of producing.
 
Go to Radio Shack (if you have a Walmart you've got a Radio Shack someplace) and get the Koss KSC-75 earclips. You'll be absolutely floored with the quality from the moment you press Play. About $25 but they go on sale very often for $15 or so... highly recommended and you'll get to hear the real sound quality that Zune is capable of producing.

I might just have to do that, I know where there is a Radio Shack on my bus line. I have the Koss KTXPro1s (modded with Portapro drivers) so I know how they sound. those are actually what I really wanted to get anyway.
 
The Koss KSC-75 drivers are the same drivers - in fact the entire Koss product line these days for portable headphones all use the PortaPro drivers...

The KSC-75 (and the old KSC-35 also), the PortaPros and the old SportaPros, the Radio Shack Pro-35A (rebadged Koss KTX-1), etc...

And doing the Kramer mod(s) on them does improve the sound quality, so... if you're already aware of the sound quality from those awesome drivers, you are way ahead of the crowd. :)
 
The Koss KSC-75 drivers are the same drivers - in fact the entire Koss product line these days for portable headphones all use the PortaPro drivers...

The KSC-75 (and the old KSC-35 also), the PortaPros and the old SportaPros, the Radio Shack Pro-35A (rebadged Koss KTX-1), etc...

And doing the Kramer mod(s) on them does improve the sound quality, so... if you're already aware of the sound quality from those awesome drivers, you are way ahead of the crowd. :)

I don't remember why I bought them, but a few years ago I bought the KTXPro1s and I was simply amazed at the sound quality. I think what I noticed the most was how "clear" everything sounded. I think I was useing some Plantronics headphones before that. Later I went full bore and bought the Portapros as my old ones were getting a little crackle in them with heavy bass. I really didn't care for the headband so I ended up putting the drivers from the portapros into my KTXPro1s and was really happy with the switch. the KTXPro1s have a slight variation on the Portapro drivers in that they are Titanium coated which add a little to the bass but I could not tell the differance.
I have read about the Kramer mod and I am really happy with the current sound quality so I aint going to mess with them.
I placed my older drivers in a pair of wireless headphones I have that took alot of modding to do and they actually sound alot better as well.
But thanks for the headsup on Radio shack carrying the KSC-75s
 
Those are pretty sweet. If you still want buds, try some JVC FX33 or FX34 "marshmallows"...they're kinda meh to start with, but absolutely simple to mod into being much better. Five minutes with a sharp object and some foam from an old castoff headset.
 
Yeah, I've been telling people for nearly a decade solid now about the PortaPros and the drivers. Years past Radio Shack pulled one of Koss' very old headsets and used the drivers and created the Pro-25 headset, their first "titanium" coated headset and the day they came out I went to a local Radio Shack.

From the freakin' moment I pressed Play I swear... sweet absolutely wonderful sound quality. Now, like 14 years later, after having owned maybe 10 pairs of the Pro-25 set, 5 sets of the Pro-35A, 4 sets of PortaPros, and a set or two of the KSC-75 earclips, I just tell people "Don't waste your time reading reviews, just go to Radio Shack with your portable audio devices, ask them to let you demo the Pro-35A, and press Play. You'll hand them the payment in the next few seconds..."
 
Back
Top