Some CPU benchmarks from Everything Inside Your Device (Korean)

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Daeguen Lee, who also happens to be a member of Hardforum, posted a comprehensive test of some of the current processors available on his website Everything Inside Your Device. Basically it's a showdown of processors to see which are the best. The tests are conducted monthly. He just runs some standard benchmarks at 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 2560x1600. Interesting read for those long days waiting for something new from AMD or Intel. The list of processors tested is pretty massive and the results are fun to compare. All testing was done in DirectX as an Nvidia 780ti was used as the video card for the testing.

This is just a small sampling of what is available on his website. There are an additional 17 more games and apps tested in varying resolutions with a full analysis of the results in terms of pure speed, value, and a lot more! Carry a translator such as Chrome or Google translator.

wMaoS9M.png

Soooo... GPU bottleneck?

Honesty, I understand the merit of benchmarking 'teal world' scenarios, but let's face it: if you bench a product, you want to make sure that everything else is not a factor in the results.

Last edited:
Soooo... GPU bottleneck?

I was thinking the same thing, but not sure. Here are the 1680x1050 results. They are slightly different I guess. Think it's the new Nvidia drivers working their magic? Maybe they truly are in the words of the late Steve Jobs; "Magical"? There are lots more results in the article. Very interesting to read.

the results with Hitman Absolution, Just cause 2, Dirt Showdown, batman Arkham city and lost planets were completely shocking and unexpected.... O_O.. specially at 1920x1080 which are still the vast majority of PC gaming.. I was in the boat to upgrade a secondary machine from the FX6350 to a FX9590 due to the new AMD prices drops but i think i will change that system to a i5 4690K and overclock the hell out of that chip..

the results with Hitman Absolution, Just cause 2, Dirt Showdown, batman Arkham city and lost planets were completely shocking and unexpected.... O_O.. specially at 1920x1080 which are still the vast majority of PC gaming.. I was in the boat to upgrade a secondary machine from the FX6350 to a FX9590 due to the new AMD prices drops but i think i will change that system to a i5 4690K and overclock the hell out of that chip..

Yes, when games are single threaded or barely multithreaded, the Intel chips pull ahead of the AMD chips. The thinking nowadays is that more console ports will be multithreaded in the future. You can easily identify the multithreaded titles from the single threaded titles by glancing at the charts. :) Lost Planet games have always scored low on AMD chips for some reason. But if you run the benchmark for Ultra Street Fighter you'll see that they're just as fast in their newer multithreaded engines. No idea what Capcom changed to boost their performance in later engines.

Very interesting to discuss. :)

what made me think a little more things are, they are using a 780TI, Nvidia with the DX11 drivers optimization (at least for me in the several machines i have to test..) bumped the performance nicely in Hitman Absolution (just an example) I was hoping to see the FX9590 very close or doing a better job of a 4790(non K) because they really removed a lot of CPU bottleneck and my i5 3570K with the same GTX 780 can do a similar performance than my 3770k.. i was really really hoping to see a better performer 9590 (maybe because i want it badly :D and i want another FX machine as i have actually a FX8350 too).

another thing i like to know are the settings used for every game... to try to reproduce similar results across my machines.. as i know my 780(which have a nice 1293mhz out of the box) have a similar(or better in some cases) performance of a 780TI

Drivers can't make a single threaded game into a multithreaded game. :) AMD thrives on multithreaded programs and falls back on single threaded programs. Maybe they will have something new to show off tomorrow during the webcast.

as far i know (correct me if im wrong) Hitman Absolution have the CPU threads very well implemented and thats why you can see such difference from a FX4350 to a FX6350 even at 2560x1600, (and same apply from intel i5s to i7s) Same with Metro Last Light and crysis 3 (maybe this one as actually the best exponent of a good threaded CPU game engine?)

The Nvidia drivers weren't magic, it was just PR BS. All those drivers did was make everyone's (Nvidia) GPU's clock more aggressively, basically getting OC'd more if they weren't already. That's why when those drivers hit and people started testing, they noticed their GPU temps increased across the board. Simple GPU driver "optimizations" can't magically make Direct3D stop being crap.

i talk about my only personal experience, first, my cards are all BIOS customized so, my cards are all have a high "base" clock, which force the card to run at that clock no matter under what load its, 3 of my example are my 660TI which have base clock of 1254mhz and turbo of 1306mhz and can only turbo to that clock when i raise the power target.. my 780 have a base clock of 1293mhz and 1345 under same conditions.. my 670 have 1189mhz base clock and turbo of 1215mhz under same conditions.. those drivers improved the performance by a healthy amount in hitman absolution for example.. I've never said were magic, I've just said those 337.XX drivers improved the performance of some games, others simply was more or less the same..

anyway this thread its not about talking of nvidia drivers, i had just pointed that i was hoping more performance from a FX9590 since in my experience and i know of others who share the same experience those drivers helped a lot in some DX11 games, I now hope to see this theme just end here and keep just debating about processors..

as far i know (correct me if im wrong) Hitman Absolution have the CPU threads very well implemented and thats why you can see such difference from a FX4350 to a FX6350 even at 2560x1600, (and same apply from intel i5s to i7s) Same with Metro Last Light and crysis 3 (maybe this one as actually the best exponent of a good threaded CPU game engine?)

I'm trying to bench Hitman Absolution at settings that I would normally play at to see what's the deal with it. I agree that it seems to be multithreaded, but the engine is very weird. It seems to average 60 fps at the start before it pans over the crowd like VSYNC is stuck on even though I have it disabled. When it gets to the crowd and the video card is under the most stress, the fps drops to 57 fps. Then suddenly the fps jumps to 128 fps in the middle of the crowd scene when the video card is stressed the most and then it goes back to 57???

I'm trying to bench Hitman Absolution at settings that I would normally play at to see what's the deal with it. I agree that it seems to be multithreaded, but the engine is very weird. It seems to average 60 fps at the start before it pans over the crowd like VSYNC is stuck on even though I have it disabled. When it gets to the crowd and the video card is under the most stress, the fps drops to 57 fps. Then suddenly the fps jumps to 128 fps in the middle of the crowd scene when the video card is stressed the most and then it goes back to 57???

try forcing Vsync off in CCC to override the game settings..

Hitman Absolution is running really badly for me. The voices are desync'd from the audio. Looks like I am watching one of those old Kung Fu movies from the 1970's. I can't finish the first mission because if I press CTRL + Q my keyboard stops working. Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard with 0 macros programmed on it. The only keys that will work are CTRL+ALT+DEL if I hit CTRL+Q. Something is completely broken with the game on my PC. Is there some bug about that game that I don't know about? It used to work perfectly fine last year when I was playing it.

i had the same problem with a 7970ghz the fix for me was from virtual surround sound to stereo in Realtek panel and as far i know it happened to some of HD79XX cards apparently fixed with a game patch.. anyway i'll re-download again in steam tonight to test again..

Yes, when games are single threaded or barely multithreaded, the Intel chips pull ahead of the AMD chips. The thinking nowadays is that more console ports will be multithreaded in the future. You can easily identify the multithreaded titles from the single threaded titles by glancing at the charts. :) Lost Planet games have always scored low on AMD chips for some reason. But if you run the benchmark for Ultra Street Fighter you'll see that they're just as fast in their newer multithreaded engines. No idea what Capcom changed to boost their performance in later engines.

Very interesting to discuss. :)
Lost Planet is heavily multithreaded. It runs 6 threads IIRC. Notice how the Intel i7 49xx 6 cores lead the pack despite being slower. Heavily multi-threaded isn't enough for AMD's extra cores to catch up. Being a console centric game engine aimed at the anemic Xbox 360 and PS3 it had shit graphics. But the developers did really well making it multi-threaded. The game engine would excel on new consoles and current PC's if they could make the graphics better.

Due to its game engine, it is overly CPU dependent. What is odd is the Lost Planet games do little with all that CPU power. They are mediocre games. The games run 6 threads, and when you have an Intel CPU's so far ahead in IPC, the 4 cores brute force through the workload faster than 6 AMD cores which is evidenced by even the i5's beating AMD's best by 30fps.

Lost Planet is a worst case scenario though. I'm not sure what it is about that game engine. It does so little with what its capable of. On top of all that, I'm not sure if its terrible coding, or amazing coding but heavily optimized for one platform. Then again, there is almost no CPU instructions that that 5+ year old game engine could be running that AMD doesn't have included in their CPU's. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Lost Planet is heavily multithreaded. It runs 6 threads IIRC. Notice how the Intel i7 49xx 6 cores lead the pack despite being slower. Heavily multi-threaded isn't enough for AMD's extra cores to catch up. Being a console centric game engine aimed at the anemic Xbox 360 and PS3 it had shit graphics. But the developers did really well making it multi-threaded. The game engine would excel on new consoles and current PC's if they could make the graphics better.

Due to its game engine, it is overly CPU dependent. What is odd is the Lost Planet games do little with all that CPU power. They are mediocre games. The games run 6 threads, and when you have an Intel CPU's so far ahead in IPC, the 4 cores brute force through the workload faster than 6 AMD cores which is evidenced by even the i5's beating AMD's best by 30fps.

Lost Planet is a worst case scenario though. I'm not sure what it is about that game engine. It does so little with what its capable of. On top of all that, I'm not sure if its terrible coding, or amazing coding but heavily optimized for one platform. Then again, there is almost no CPU instructions that that 5+ year old game engine could be running that AMD doesn't have included in their CPU's. I just don't get it.

Kind of seems like they just ignored AMD when it came to optimization really. Just completely ignored AMD.

Still, ~50 FPS that the AMD CPU's average is hardly completely unplayable.

The benchmarks show a few things, first that almost any CPU is good enough to get 70+ FPS, often 100+, on todays games. As such, AMD will be perfectly fine for most games. Heck this situation will probably get even more pronounced once DX12 gets widespread. Throw any crappy low end CPU at a game and it'll probably run 120 FPS.

BUT there is a few outliers that do much worse on AMD. If one of those rare outliers just happens to be a game you're interested in, you'll be in trouble with AMD.

Back