Some Cisco Questions

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Hello All-
I am a Cisco CCNA student, and I recently got some Cisco 2501 routers from my school to practice with. I am in high school and the course I am in goes very slowly, and I want to become more advanced and learn at a faster pace. What I am looking for are some good guides to basic configuration and setup with the routers. I know how to login to the router from HyperTerminal and do sh ver, sh int, sh run, etc., but I want to know how to configure interfaces and stuff like that. I looked on my CCNA online material and the stuff I found did not work right when I tried it. Any suggestions for basic router commands?

Cisco should have a load of commands if you just search their website. But you can always do "?" at the router prompt and it'll give you a list of commands available for whatever mode you're in.

and here's a quick run through of some basic commands

enable> turns on privileged exec mode
config terminal> puts you into global configuration mode
interface (serial or fast ethernet) (0 or 1 for port)> lets you enter into configuration mode for a particular interface
line (console or vty)>lets you access configuration mode for your virtual terminal lines or your console port
ip address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) (subnet mask)> lets you enter in IP addresses and subnet masks
no shutdown> turns on an interface, interfaces are by default administratively down

there's some basics to get you going for a while, play around, see what you can accomplish.

I was in a similiar situation not to long ago. I picked up a 2514 to play around with only to see that IOS version at 11.something. Check the IOS version first, if its an older version talk to your instructor about downloading the latest IOS. Your school probably has an account with cisco which allows them to download the IOS software. I don't know if average joe can do that without paying some sort of support contract. Once you get that, you get to learn how to load a new IOS version via an RS-232 cable :) or via an tftp server.

Thanks for the info, I will try it later. I think that the IOS is probably older, but I will look at what version it is.

Back