Some CCC Q's

contaminant

Limp Gawd
I finally decided to bite the bullet and install .Net for CCC. I've been using the control panel forever but I wanted to see what CCC was like, so with my update to 6.2 (from 5.13), I went with CCC. My main reason for the switch is my upcoming CrossFire rig, I wanted to become familar with CCC. So far, it's pretty good. It was worth getting .Net for, although, I had about the same functionality with CP and ATiTool, CCC does offer some extra capablities though.

So, do you guys have any tips for a CCC noob? I've already turned off the skins to make CCC come up a bit quicker.

Should I just use overdrive for my OCing needs now, or is ATiTool a better choice?

What exactly is High Quality AF? Sorry for noobism but I've never had that option before, does it add much more strain in games?

Now, my card easily runs 16XAF, will it be difficult for my card to run games at 16xHQAF?

Is turning off VPU recovery a safe practice?

Thanks for all your help!

contaminant said:
Should I just use overdrive for my OCing needs now, or is ATiTool a better choice?

What exactly is High Quality AF? Sorry for noobism but I've never had that option before, does it add much more strain in games?

Now, my card easily runs 16XAF, will it be difficult for my card to run games at 16xHQAF?

1. I think ATi Tool is the better choice. With CCC you cannot manually control or set fan speeds, and you cannot change the voltage of the cards which becomes necessary if you want to do any OCing.

2. Not too sure how this impacts games (HQAF) I have tried it with several games and not really noticed changes in IQ or performance.

3. Try it, I don't see a major difference.

4. With VPU recover I have had a few crashes during OCing and GPU recover didn't work but I keep it on anyways.

contaminant said:
Thanks.

I just have one more question: what is the AI setting? What does it do?

the AI setting is basically the "questionable tweaks that we've gotten bitched at for not giving you the option to disable" option. If you turn it on it enables optimizations to filtering routines, etc. Nvidia also has similar options in their drivers they just dont' give it a fancy name. (all of the anisotropic and mip-mapping optimization options.) When I had my x850xt I tried with it on and off and didn't really see much of a difference except in like 3dmark scores...but I didn't see any negative visual cues either so I left it on.

contaminant said:
I finally decided to bite the bullet and install .Net for CCC. I've been using the control panel forever but I wanted to see what CCC was like, so with my update to 6.2 (from 5.13), I went with CCC. My main reason for the switch is my upcoming CrossFire rig, I wanted to become familar with CCC. So far, it's pretty good. It was worth getting .Net for, although, I had about the same functionality with CP and ATiTool, CCC does offer some extra capablities though.

So, do you guys have any tips for a CCC noob? I've already turned off the skins to make CCC come up a bit quicker.

I didin´t count myself as a CCC newbie but looks like I was after all. Thanks for the turning off the CCC skin to make it boot faster tip :D

CCC can seem bit wanky at first but atleast I grew to like it quite fast. Setting up a secondary display with display wizzard is really easy in my mind, which is definetly a plus if your a TV out / Projector user.

As I understanded from reviews X1900 cards can handle 16xHQAF pretty well, guess it all depends on what resolution your going to be playing?

At the moment I don´t see any reason to overclock X1900 card yet , but clearly the best tool for it is ATItool. You can tune the fan speeds to your liking and change volts etc. There are also alot of people flashing their X1900XT --> X1900XTX and it is supposed to be really easy, all you need is to check that your card has 1.1ns memory and your good to go. Ofcourse you can kiss goodby to your warranty and flashing is always a risk, but atleast you have the option :)

Make sure you disable the preview in CCC. That cuts CCC's load time in half on my system.

HQAF is a noticeable improvement in e.g. HL2 where you have long tunnels and the like with angled walls. Looks MUCH less blurry in the distance. Nice on hi-res screens. :)

Back