Some career advice?

BigD1108

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I lurk on this site quite a bit, but don't post a lot for some reason. I want to take a second to thank all of the people that do post here on a regular basis, you guys have a ton of knowledge and it keeps me entertained every day. Now, down to business.

I just got a job doing Tier 1 customer service for a major wireless carrier. Aside from the more pedestrian things like account information changes and billing issues, this involves a fair amount of troubleshooting (basic tech suppport) for devices such as iPhones, Blackberries, and internet connectivity issues with notebooks with LaptopConnect cards.

I am a student at a technical college (just finished my first semester) majoring in Network Administration, and have been unable to find a job in IT at all. Mainly, I'm guessing, from my lack of experience. My question is: Do you think my current job with its basic technical support components and the phone experience will help me land an IT job eventually? I was thinking I would probably get started on a helpdesk and then transition into a more network-centric role, but I don't know really.

If anyone could offer some words of wisdom, I would appreicate it very much, and thanks in advance for reading my long post.

BigD,

Everyone needs to start somewhere. Everyone on my team (Network Administrators) started out at the Help Desk level. Me personally I did 2 years on a road tech job and then landed a Sys Admin job and have almost been at this current job for 2 years. You just need to start there and wait for a JR admin role or simliar to come around. Not everyone gets the Net Admin job right out of school. Just keep working and never stop learning about new things.

Hope it was a help.

Yes, I think this job will help you land a IT position in the future... Many of the same roles as a IT helpdesk... With a degree or certs and good interviewing skills I don't see why someone wouldn't give you a shot.

Put it this way... this job will help much more then working at say Walmart or McDonalds..

Thanks for the replies. I have been studying for the A+, and will probably take that in a month or so. I've thought about the Network+ as well, since it's also pretty cheap. Hopefully the combination of all of these things will be enough for someone to give me a break.

a+ and network + is definately a good start. thats what i did. but may i suggest a microsoft class to......either mcp course 270........mcdst 271,272 or mcsa. mcdst is actually desktop support. if you wanted to go even further i highly recommend ccna. all the above i mentioned plus ccna is very attractive on a resume. ive got mcdst,mcp<which you get as soon as you take 271> a+ and n+. i want to do security + also.

Thanks for the info on the certifications, the CCNA will definitely be my next step after the A+ and the Net+ as I am majoring in Network Administration.

If you are sure you want to get the CCNA, then forget the Network+. CCENT/CCNA totally trump the network+ in every way possible. Network+ would almost be a waste of money IMO. A better route in my opinion would be: A+---CCENT(ICND1)----CCNA(ICND2)----then whatever grabs your fancy (Security, voice, MCSE)

If you are sure you want to get the CCNA, then forget the Network+. CCENT/CCNA totally trump the network+ in every way possible. Network+ would almost be a waste of money IMO. A better route in my opinion would be: A+---CCENT(ICND1)----CCNA(ICND2)----then whatever grabs your fancy (Security, voice, MCSE)

Cisco certs usually look way better than any Whatever+ exams because they're much more indepth. Someone who just got their Network+ will probably know basic TCP/IP networking, while a CCNA will have a much deeper knowledge of the same subject, as well as some basic troubleshooting and administration skills in Cisco IOS devices.

Because the CCNA is so much more indepth, it's definitely harder. The Network+ isn't a bad cert at all. However, if you're going from not very networking savvy to CCNA, you'll get overwhelmed pretty quick. My advice if your new to networking in general, would be to take a read of some basic beginner's guide to Networking. From there, check out some Network+ study guides. All of the Network+ stuff will benefit your in the CCNA, and lay a good foundation for deeper TCP/IP knowledge.

'm not saying take both exams. But don't jump into the deep end on your first trip to the pool either.

As for your original question, I think your current job is a good start. Hell, I'm looking for a job like this as soon as I move. You're at a much better start than those of us SysAdmin-hopefuls that are flipping burgers or bagging groceries.

Yes, I am definitely taking the CCNA at some point in time. You're right, it does seem like my time would be better spent studying for the CCNA. I would say I have intermediate-ish knowledge of general networking principles, and beginner knowledge of the Cisco IOS. I'm looking to get a CCNA lab of some sort set up in the near future (just got a new 24u rack, looking kinda empty). :)

Cisco made the new CCNA a two parter certification for a reason. The CCENT(the 1st half of CCNA) is not that hard. Really the only thing that is remotely hard in CCENT is getting subnetting down. The rest is pretty much committing alot of terms and concepts to memory. I have no real networking experience and I passed it last month. I studied for 1-2 hours a weekday for 3 weeks. Bought a 2950 switch and a 2611 series router off of ebay which helped tremendously. CBT Nuggets coupled with Sybex CCENT Study Guide rounded out the materials I used.
Good luck.

You can still take the entire CCNA in one test. Just you have options now. I went with the one test option but had a lot of experience in networking before hand.

i still think network+ is a good foundation for any cisco class. not a class i would skip in other words unless money was a big factor. cisco is good for large business enviroments...........still nice to be able to setup a home network that might not even use cisco products.

Given your current job I'd look into the Windows/Exchange realm. Your experience with mobile devices would be a great foot in the door for supporting BES/Windows Mobile implementations.

That being said, network your butt off. I got my current job 7 years ago while doing tier 1 ISP support from a friend of a co-worker in my 2nd trimester at a tech school.

As mentioned, experience is everything, most employers who know anything look for years under the belt over certifications, Ive seen people who could ace exams for MCSE, CCNA etc and they couldn't even load windows, but they had incredible study skills.

once you get a job you start to meet people, who know people, who know people, once you get to know the IT managers at various companies, if they like you then something will usually come up

Back