some ATI 4800 details

Ohhhhh 1gig Stock CPU core would be nice huh..Some day ,until then im patiently awaiting the 4870x2 series ...

They need to put some of these chips in notebooks. Tired of seeing x300 radeon chips.

Sweet, Thanks for the linkage. This sounds promising, Me thinks its a good sign that AMD is possibly moving UP a launch date instead of backpedaling and launching products late.:)

excited here.... The little radeon picture in the link looks kinda cool :)

Only 1.5 weeks of this semester left. can't wait

Exciting... but at $220 for the 4870 model, probably the performance will be only moderately better than the 3870. I guess there'll be no attempt at taking back the performance crown with a super high end part.

Wow would love to see the 4850 come to agp. What a short lived life for the 38xx if this does indeed make it out in May.

Exciting... but at $220 for the 4870 model, probably the performance will be only moderately better than the 3870. I guess there'll be no attempt at taking back the performance crown with a super high end part.

your forgeting something.... AMD will release a 4870X2 to challenge for the high end..probally costs in the 399-429 rande

also the 150 to 300 dollar segment is where the meat and the money is ... not many people buying 400 dollar and up vid cards

myself i refuse to spend over 300.

There were rumours of a multi-GPU solution for high end, but I was hoping for a something more like seamless intregation of multiple GPUs... such that the application wouldn't even have to know about it being more than one processor and they'd automatically work on the same frame, without duplicating work or things in memory.

Crossfire/SLI is horribly inefficient and wasteful.

nice to hear some good news. now if AMD can get a good CPU spider might actually go somewhere

nooooooo

we shall delay shipments

and see kyle in a pink tutu :D

back to the news...amd/ati BETTER get it right this time, we've a lot of broken promises from them

According to the article linked by the OP, there are 32 TMUs in the new architecture. Is this sufficient to compete with NVidia's latest cards, or their upcoming technology?

4800 looks like the real deal.... Ati fixed the issues with the 2900 core so it can finally spread its wings

This is great news for everyone! I just hope this will be a good release :) I'm awaiting patiently for my next video card purchase

Maybe I'll be more interested when the product is out. I've been let down too much in general over speculations to care anymore.

But then again, I guess it's nice to hear AMD is going to release the 4 series soon enough.

normally when a product is pushed UP....after a long period of delays with prior products... its a good sign the new core kicks azz....

DAMN no pink tutu for kyle!

what was the bet there? I remember seeing that thread and not seing exactly what kyle was agreeing to, but I was under the impression that he'd be wearing it if AMD released on schedule?

what was the bet there? I remember seeing that thread and not seing exactly what kyle was agreeing to, but I was under the impression that he'd be wearing it if AMD released on schedule?
IIRC, he would lose the bet if AMD did not release R700 by the end of the year.

your forgeting something.... AMD will release a 4870X2 to challenge for the high end..probally costs in the 399-429 rande

also the 150 to 300 dollar segment is where the meat and the money is ... not many people buying 400 dollar and up vid cards

myself i refuse to spend over 300.

For $400 your getting a dual graphics card w/the X2, so that's really not that bad a price.

I almost bought a 3870 x2 the other night. If it wasn't for the fact that my power supply wasn't powerful enough for it, I would of bought it. Instead I went and bought an 800 watt power supply, w/the intent of buying the card later. With word of the 4870 x2 coming out in the near future, I'm glad I didn't buy the 3870 x2.

You know, people really shouldn't be criticizing ATI so much. Being equal to, or slightly faster to Nvidia is really not that bad when you think about it. In all essence, they are running pretty much neck to neck at the moment. ;)

comparison.gif

OMG, that sounds shitty, from the article:
The graphics processor itself will integrate more texture memory units (TMUs), which is the Achilles' heel of the R6xx generation: 32 TMUs in the RV770 will challenge the 56/64 units of Nvidia’s G92/G92b.
They make the assertion that R6xx's Achilles heel they claim is the limited texture units.

So ATI has improved R7xx by bumping that up to ONLY HALF of what nVidia's current generation has had (to say nothing of what their next GPU's may have). OMG do they just not want to compete in the enthusiast market?

R700 is digging it's grave before it sees the light of day :confused::( I guess you can't compare them directly, since they are different architectures, designed by different engineering teams, but it sounds disheartening.

So R7xx is going to bump that up to ONLY HALF of what nVidia's past generation has had. OMG do they just not want to compete in the enthusiast market?

i had the same reaction, just doesnt sound right.
a tiny bump from the current levels.

but with that much of a memory throughput, who knows.
Nvidia is on a G92 core now anyways, so its rally a coin toss.

They make the assertion that R6xx's Achilles heel they claim is the limited texture units.

So ATI has improved R7xx by bumping that up to ONLY HALF of what nVidia's current generation has had (to say nothing of what their next GPU's may have). OMG do they just not want to compete in the enthusiast market?

R700 is digging it's grave before it sees the light of day :confused::( I guess you can't compare them directly, since they are different architectures, designed by different engineering teams, but it sounds disheartening.

I know what you mean, but the specs on ATI / Nvidia has been a bit different all these years, we really can't just judge it until we see it in action.

You know, people really shouldn't be criticizing ATI so much. Being equal to, or slightly faster to Nvidia is really not that bad when you think about it. In all essence, they are running pretty much neck to neck at the moment. ;)

Problem is, ATI's cards are not equal to or slightly faster than NVIDIA's cards at the high-end. They are more or less comparable at the mid-range 9600 GT vs HD 3870, and even then the 9600 GT is cheaper and faster overall.
At the high-end, the single 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX, keep up with the dual GPU HD 3870 X2, while the GX2 takes the lead without breaking a sweat.

Neck to neck only happens in the mid-range and nothing else at this point. If AMD wants to stay in the high-end GPU market, they really need something stellar in both performance and price.

Well, it's not just the TMUs that are increasing. And IIRC more TMUs isn't necessarily better. It's a balance. The number of shaders and clockspeed are also increasing pretty nicely, too.

kind of hard to get disheartened over non confirmed paper specs on non released hardware with no scores to look at

Problem is, ATI's cards are not equal to or slightly faster than NVIDIA's cards at the high-end. They are more or less comparable at the mid-range 9600 GT vs HD 3870, and even then the 9600 GT is cheaper and faster overall.
At the high-end, the single 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX, keep up with the dual GPU HD 3870 X2, while the GX2 takes the lead without breaking a sweat.

Neck to neck only happens in the mid-range and nothing else at this point. If AMD wants to stay in the high-end GPU market, they really need something stellar in both performance and price.

It varies w/the games doesn't it?

The one thing I like about ATI is it's monthly release of a new WHQL certified driver. They have been pretty good at doing that since they made the decision to do it that way back w/their 9000 series of cards. There are very little, if any, unofficial released ATI drivers on the net. With Nvidia, on the other hand, the net is floaded w/their unofficial drivers, all over the place, w/some being better than others, but still, not WHQL certified releases. Then when they do release them, it's around the time of their releasing a new video card line.

I still think that they both release way too many products on a yearly basis. I'd like to see it once a year, or longer, in order for the drivers to mature, as well as to allow the games to do some catching up.

Back