Solve this problem, i dare you

barefootbilly

Limp Gawd
-AOL for broadband.
-Dell 4xxx
-Linksys wrt54g
-dsl modem

At my girlfriend's house, her parent have that setup and it worked fine with the modem they were given, but in order to add 2 laptops to the mix, they obviously got that router.

I went over there last FRIDAY played with some settings, and somehow got it to work. Not sure what I did rather than run the Linksys cd and network settings. I left and it worked.

I got a phone call from the on SATURDAY saying it didn't work. I went over there and cleaned up their computer and attempted to connect it again. Got it to work.

I get another phone call TODAY stating that it doesn't work. I'm not familiar with AOL for Broadband, which they are getting rid of in favor of Verizon in a month or so, but until then, WHY DOESN'T IT WORK? where should I even start.... :(

Are they logged in?

From my brief experiance with AOL broadband, AOL needs to be logged in in order to wkr.

wkr?

anywho, yeah when they go to log in it will go to step 1 and 2 (dialing) then not go all the way. It says the computer could not establish a modem connection. Could be the modem i guess, but i doubt it because it works all the time without the router by itself. :confused:

knowing aol i would say that you cannot use the router the way you have it, i would say that the computer needs to see the modem to establish the connection, it sounds like to me that when you hook the modem to the computer and connect it works then when you put the router between them it continues to work until it is inactive and probably disconnects itself, i would try to find a way to establish an always-on connection, if not you could try ics on the computer then put the router after it...

did you set up the ppoe settings on the router, and then disable the ppoe settings on the desktop? that might cause problems.

i dare you to come up with a more descriptive thread title next time

You need to bridge the DSL modem to the router.
The PPoE needs to be disabled on the computer, and setup on the router.

Best thing to do is call the phone company providing the DSL service and ask them to step you through on how to bridge the two together.

DONE.

Back