Solus Linux

IMO this will be the best distro better than ubuntu and linux mint

I don't agree really. Yesterday I installed it on my main box and I regret it already. The blog posting #48 on solus site points to a broken snap package (had to grab a working one from git) and it's pretty much impossible to find printer drivers for it since it doesn't support .deb or .rpm. I'm probably going back to Ubuntu Mate.

I also experienced a hard lockup in the first 2 hours of use, which never happened on Ubuntu on this machine.

Not sure what was going on there but, those issues and some others gave me pause to consider it was time to dump Solus like every other Linux distro I've ever tried over decades and head back to Windows.

When I read this I had a vivid image of someone trying to pull himself of a steaming container of sewage, get tired and with a releafed expression dive back in the brown sess pool.

I don't agree really. Yesterday I installed it on my main box and I regret it already. The blog posting #48 on solus site points to a broken snap package (had to grab a working one from git) and it's pretty much impossible to find printer drivers for it since it doesn't support .deb or .rpm. I'm probably going back to Ubuntu Mate.

I also experienced a hard lockup in the first 2 hours of use, which never happened on Ubuntu on this machine.

Well that counts Solus out for me, it has to support at minimum .deb or .rpm so I can install my printer drivers.

Well that counts Solus out for me, it has to support at minimum .deb or .rpm so I can install my printer drivers.

I wouldn't count it out without trying it first. They've done a lot of work on the printer drivers and "driverless" printing. I don't have to install shit for my printer to work. It just magically appears.

I wouldn't count it out without trying it first. They've done a lot of work on the printer drivers and "driverless" printing. I don't have to install shit for my printer to work. It just magically appears.

My Brother printer didn't get detected at least. OSX picked it right up.

Both of my networked printers got picked up and print but I can't use the scanner. My scanning programs don't see any scanner attached even after I installed the driver.

Both of my networked printers got picked up and print but I can't use the scanner. My scanning programs don't see any scanner attached even after I installed the driver.

I would post a bug on the Solus tracker for that. They will fix it.

Any other missing drivers are the same thing. If it's missing and you report it they will fix it.

I would post a bug on the Solus tracker for that. They will fix it.

Any other missing drivers are the same thing. If it's missing and you report it they will fix it.
Yeah I will try and do that soon. Been lazy lately.

My Brother printer didn't get detected at least. OSX picked it right up.

Ugh, I've got a Brother printer too. I got it as the drivers were so conveniently packaged.:rolleyes:

I might set Solus up on a spare PC and see how the devs go adding the drivers to the official repository.

Ugh, I've got a Brother printer too. I got it as the drivers were so conveniently packaged.:rolleyes:

I might set Solus up on a spare PC and see how the devs go adding the drivers to the official repository.

Just follow the bug tracker instructions and make sure you link all the pertinent stuff. They'll take care of it. Even better if there's a Brother Universal Driver.

I'm gonna give this a go this weekend on the loaner.

My Brother printer is automatically detected under Ubuntu Mate, but the official drivers offer more in the way of features.

OK,

So I've begun my journey with Solus 3 Budgie!

7r3tx5Mh.jpg

My first impressions without really trying a thing, so take this with a major grain of salt:

- The Control Center reminds me of the vanilla Ubuntu Control Center in that it's very basic and stripped out - Ubuntu MATE has a very comprehensive Control Center, I really like a comprehensive Control Center, but I can live with the options available under Solus.

- My Brother HL-3150CDN is not listed under the list of available printers, so I will have to follow Vermillion's instructions and contact the devs in that regard. Having said that, I was very impressed with the number of printers available by default.

- I know people are going to think I'm crazy for saying this, but I really like the idea of PPA's and apt, I can't help but feel that I'm going to miss the freedom adding PPA's and apt provides - We'll see how I adjust.

- The OS looks very pretty, modern and polished - However bear in mind that I've done almost nothing under the OS so far.

Currently installing updates:

HE7COuvh.jpg

One thing that really annoys me is people that try something new in some vain attempt to shit on the OS and try their best to highlight negatives as opposed to positives - I have no intention of doing this and whether I like Solus or not I'm sure there's a great many people that use it and love it. This is a journey trying something new, I plan on excitedly learning everything this OS has to offer!

I honestly feel that Solus's contribution to the field isn't going to be its distro, but budgie. I put Solus on a vm and took a look around and outside of budgie it's kinda meh. The DE is nice, but it just isn't for power users or people that need stability or people that need compatibility.

If you want a distro that everything just seems to work, try Chapeau. Hell even my wifi and BT works right out of the box, and that never happens. It's basically just Fedora, but with most, if not all of the install and config work done for you, released on two year cycles.

If you want a stable distro, you need to go to Debian, or one of it's clones.

I honestly feel that Solus's contribution to the field isn't going to be its distro, but budgie. I put Solus on a vm and took a look around and outside of budgie it's kinda meh. The DE is nice, but it just isn't for power users or people that need stability or people that need compatibility.

If you want a distro that everything just seems to work, try Chapeau. Hell even my wifi and BT works right out of the box, and that never happens. It's basically just Fedora, but with most, if not all of the install and config work done for you, released on two year cycles.

If you want a stable distro, you need to go to Debian, or one of it's clones.

My BT worked out of the box under Ubuntu MATE.

My BT has worked on every laptop I've installed Solus on as well. I haven't had WiFi issues with any distro in years.
I have to say that I haven't had any wifi or bt issues on anything I've installed any distro on in recent years.

I have to say that I haven't had any wifi or bt issues on anything I've installed any distro on in recent years.

Wifi all working perfectly here on every rig running a Linux based OS, I can concur that I haven't had a single issue in years.

I can't help but feel that I'm going to miss the freedom adding PPA's and apt provides
This is the thing that has me the most hesitant. I love having the AUR available. I know Manjaro isn't "real" Arch, but it still comes with some of the perks of Arch. The AUR being the biggest in my opinion. It seems like literally everything can be found in the AUR. It's kinda ridiculous.

This is the thing that has me the most hesitant. I love having the AUR available. I know Manjaro isn't "real" Arch, but it still comes with some of the perks of Arch. The AUR being the biggest in my opinion. It seems like literally everything can be found in the AUR. It's kinda ridiculous.

But you still have to rely on people adding to the AUR, if something isn't available in the AUR you have to wait until it is. As far as I can tell, Solus is the same.

People act like PPA's are a bad thing, but at least I know that I can go straight to the developers website at any time and download exactly what I want by adding the PPA or downloading a .deb straight away - I've now got ~90 PPA's added to my system without a single issue.

My BT worked out of the box under Ubuntu MATE.

Ya, mine seems to be some sort of black sheep. Asus pci-AC68 card. Only fedora for some reason ever works. Never once on Ubuntu, although I have not tried it since they introduced unity. Not manjaro, opensuse, or debian. Manual install every time :/

y6akeHUh.png

Having said that, I run Broadcom networking devices in two of my PC's, one being the very PC I'm replying on and I've never had an issue.

But, generally speaking Broadcom is a brand best avoided when it comes to Linux.

Yeah, Broadcom have been anything but friendly to the open source world.

Yeah, Broadcom have been anything but friendly to the open source world.

Ya, there are open source drivers for the wifi available in the repos. They just don't seem to be included in the default ubuntu repos/mint repos/openSuse repos... Arch and fedora have them. *shrug*

BT usually works, in that it shows up and connects. But if you pass audio over it and things like that it craters. Often devices will just drop connection over BT and you have to manually reconnect.

So, I decided to give Solus a go this weekend, so I blew away everything on my laptop and installed Solus Budgie. So, first impressions, I like what I see so far with one exception. I didn't stick with Budgie for more than a couple of days. I really like the look of it, and I like where I think they are going with it, but there are just a few things that make it not useful for me yet. Mainly, I like having window previews, launching of favorite apps using Super + Num, and a couple other nitpicks. So, I wiped again and installed Solus GNOME. So, I can still evaluate the core of Solus, but use a DE that works better for me. Now that I have GNOME installed, I'm definitely enjoying the experience. I'd like to say that I'm liking eopkg quite a bit, as it maintains the flexibility I like about pacman, albeit it does seem to be a bit slower. So, as it stands I'm enjoying it, and I intend on keeping it on my laptop for the time being. Will I go back to Manjaro? I don't know, but as it stands I'm enjoying it enough to keep using it for at least a while longer.

-Linux newb problem-

I couldn't get Solus Budgie to boot using an ISO and Rufus on a USB stick. I'd get two options: one to boot into the Linux UEFI, and then to go to the system UEFI. Selecting the Linux UEFI would just make the option disappear. Never would go into Solus.

Switched to Ubuntu Budgie, comes right up. What the hell?

-Linux newb problem-

I couldn't get Solus Budgie to boot using an ISO and Rufus on a USB stick. I'd get two options: one to boot into the Linux UEFI, and then to go to the system UEFI. Selecting the Linux UEFI would just make the option disappear. Never would go into Solus.

Dunno. I just dd the ISO to a USB stick and it works everytime.

https://antergos.com/wiki/uncategorized/create-a-working-live-usb/

I was not using the 'dd' option; but I didn't use that for Ubuntu Budgie either. Will try again.

-Linux newb problem-

Perhaps an oddball secure boot issue? I downright despise secure boot.

I was not using the 'dd' option; but I didn't use that for Ubuntu Budgie either. Will try again.
I've found that with rufus, not using the DD option causes problems a lot. I don't know what it is about it, but not using it with just about everything but Ubuntu or Debian based distros doesn't seem to work. I ran into the same problem back when I first decided to try Manjaro.

I'll give it another shot when I get back from vacation.

I do have the Ubuntu Budgie install in a mostly completed build crunching away for the [H] WCG effort.

I recommend using Etcher to burn your ISO:s. The dd method fails every time on osx at least and Rufus is pretty much broken too. Etcher has been reliable.

Solus just keeps getting better. The last 2-3 weeks of updates have significantly changed the behind the scenes stuff to make it better. Ikey just posted this about the upcoming Solus 4. Good stuff...

Solus just keeps getting better. The last 2-3 weeks of updates have significantly changed the behind the scenes stuff to make it better. Ikey just posted this about the upcoming Solus 4. Good stuff...

I have to say, these days I'm finding more vendors conveniently packaging their drivers, so driver installation has never really been much of an issue for me. But central driver management sounds great provided vendors supply the actual drivers!

I haven't had much time to play with my Soluis rig, hopefully over the Christmas break provided I can train myself to say no to any work that might come my way.

I recommend using Etcher to burn your ISO:s. The dd method fails every time on osx at least and Rufus is pretty much broken too. Etcher has been reliable.

Am I the only one that still uses DVD's?

They're still vastly cheaper than tonnes of USB sticks....

Am I the only one that still uses DVD's?

They're still vastly cheaper than tonnes of USB sticks....
Cheaper, sure, for each one. But you can reuse the same USB stick tons of times. Plus USB 3.0 drives are loads faster than using a DVD.

Also, right now only 1 computer I have even has an optical drive. Pretty much all the new cases (well at least the nice looking ones) omit the drive bay these days.

Back