solid state storage memory.

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
1,280
are you waiting for solid state memory? i am. my hdds are always failing.
 
Solid state hard drives will be cool no dobut. I remeber back in 2001 when I thought we would have them readily available by now. But you know, I really have never had any hard dirve die on me at home yet in over 10 years of using PCs. I've used Samsungs, Seagates, WD, and Maxtors. Maybe I've been lucky?

The only hard drive failure I've ever witnessed is from one of our SCSI Seagate 15K drives in our nice IBM x346 server at work. That drive failed, was replaced, and the IBM ServerRAID 7K controller put it back into the RAID5 array all nice and neat like.
 
I run quite a few hard drives and I haven't found there to be any failures for the past few years now... however, I do have friends who seems to be passing through hard drives as a fat kid would with bigmacs.
 
Yes. Please. Bring them on already. This and LED lcds are taking forever.
 
Solid States don't particularly excite me yet, because the current implementation has been clumsy. Most are PCI/PCI-E add-in boards (for desktops) that require a SATA cable. That's fine, but even SATAII gets saturated by the bandwidth of DDR400 RAM (which is generally what is used on these boards). Why not use two SATA ports, or talk through the PCI-E interface? I'm not an engineer, so I don't claim to have the solution. Plus, SSDs are expensive as a result. Did I mention the 4GB/8GB limit? I know there are some superdense 32Gb (yes the small b was on purpose) drives and the like, but those are even more expensive (assuming you can even buy them).

However, when solid states do come into their own, laptop users will see huge benefits. How long have most laptops used 5400RPM drives to save power? Hybrid and solid state drives will make using a laptop far more enjoyable. And of course, power usage will go down.
 
Solid States don't particularly excite me yet, because the current implementation has been clumsy. Most are PCI/PCI-E add-in boards (for desktops) that require a SATA cable. That's fine, but even SATAII gets saturated by the bandwidth of DDR400 RAM (which is generally what is used on these boards). Why not use two SATA ports, or talk through the PCI-E interface? I'm not an engineer, so I don't claim to have the solution. Plus, SSDs are expensive as a result. Did I mention the 4GB/8GB limit? I know there are some superdense 32Gb (yes the small b was on purpose) drives and the like, but those are even more expensive (assuming you can even buy them).

However, when solid states do come into their own, laptop users will see huge benefits. How long have most laptops used 5400RPM drives to save power? Hybrid and solid state drives will make using a laptop far more enjoyable. And of course, power usage will go down.

I think the OP intended to mention non-volatile solid state, not DRAM based ones like the Gigabyte iRam. The new notebook drives come to mind, but I believe a 32GB disk is close to $800. Not too cost efficient.

But a 16GB USB flash drive costs $160 (look in the hot deals!) so we are not too far away. I remember when a 32MB flash drive was over $100 (it was less than 5 years ago!)
 
I too, have had great luck with drives, if you cool them well and be gentle, them never seem to go bad for me, one drive dead in 5+ years of computing......I have friends that cannot keep drives in their machines, but they are always moving them machines around....
 
Whoops, didn't say anything about my hard drives. I had a Seagate 120GB PATA blow up on me after four years, and it was only used in my mom's computer and then in my old gaming rig for less than a year. My Raptor 150 that I got originally was bad, constant paging errors etc, but NewEgg, being NewEgg, got me a new one in no time flat. The dual Caviars are still running, actually storing a friend's data while she gets a new computer. Stupid hard drive in the laptop died/is dying.
 
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=3732

SanDisk Launches 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive to Replace Hard Disks in Mainstream Notebook Computers

MILPITAS, CALIFORNIA, MARCH 13, 2007 – SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK) today broadened its solid state drive (SSD) product line for the portable computer market with the introduction of a 32-gigabyte (GB)1, 2.5-inch Serial ATA (SATA) interface model, compatible with most mainstream notebook designs. Coming just two months after SanDisk introduced a 1.8-inch SSD for ultraportable notebooks, the 2.5-inch SSD is now available to PC manufacturers as a drop-in replacement for hard disk drives.
 
Not the 2.5" model and definitely not at these prices.

"with initial pricing of $350 for large volume orders."

SATA is SATA now. I'd be interested in trying one out on my desktop.
 
They've had these type of drives for quite a long time. They have always been very expensive, and even though they have dropped in price, they are still very expensive compared to magnetic drives.
 
I thought this was new too, at least as a high-end consumer item.

If they've been out a while in server or other environments are they reliable, what has been the cost/size?
 
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=3732

SanDisk Launches 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive to Replace Hard Disks in Mainstream Notebook Computers

MILPITAS, CALIFORNIA, MARCH 13, 2007 – SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK) today broadened its solid state drive (SSD) product line for the portable computer market with the introduction of a 32-gigabyte (GB)1, 2.5-inch Serial ATA (SATA) interface model, compatible with most mainstream notebook designs. Coming just two months after SanDisk introduced a 1.8-inch SSD for ultraportable notebooks, the 2.5-inch SSD is now available to PC manufacturers as a drop-in replacement for hard disk drives.

where can i find that for sale?:)
 
this thing makes me excited just like when i got my first 2x cdrom!
thanks.
 
this thing makes me excited just like when i got my first 2x cdrom!
thanks.

yup i remember my first hp 4x cdr burner. It was the shit back in the day since i was the only kid that had a cd burner, and i had the nerve to have the stupid techs at bestbuy install it for me since i didnt know better.

i do believe solid state storage is the way to go though, laptops are used mostly for word, Internet, and email/chat (in no particular order) and you would need to squeeze as much juice from the battery as possible. It was amazing that when i first used a laptop that cd drive would drain so much battery life from the laptop it was basically rendered neutered, and its pointless to have a laptop with a harddrive like a raptor on a laptop with less than 15-20 minutes of power if that. If WD would be so stupid about creating such a product i would give them props on being able to do it, but it would be so pointless.
 
I think it is a great technology. I want something that will last, and be faster, than current drive technology.

I have only had 1 drive go bad (and that was most likely from the manufacturer, bad batch). I have a few drives as well ;) *checks post* :cool:

I run quite a few hard drives and I haven't found there to be any failures for the past few years now... however, I do have friends who seems to be passing through hard drives as a fat kid would with bigmacs.

Yes, we all know how many drives you currently run and have run in the passed :p
 
Back
Top