• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Solid State HDD

Does it loose all data if unpowered? I think we all would agree that's it's a fact that the hdd is the noisiest and slowest part of the computer.
 
Two different techs bill.

The one I linked was Flash or static Ram, like a USB flash drive on steriods. The one you linked was a RAM variant that needs to be constantly powered so it doesn't lose the information. The flash is slower, but doesn't lose the memory, wouldn't be as good for a swap file but great to eventually replace laptop HDDs when they get bigger.
 
Hito Bahadur said:
Two different techs bill.

The one I linked was Flash or static Ram, like a USB flash drive on steriods. The one you linked was a RAM variant that needs to be constantly powered so it doesn't lose the information. The flash is slower, but doesn't lose the memory, wouldn't be as good for a swap file but great to eventually replace laptop HDDs when they get bigger.

Yup, I was just pointing out the other tech.

Way back in the days when IBM actually made drives they had a solid state HD, I actually got to to play with one. It was slow and at the time way beyond affordable. At that time there was a lifespan issue as well. I've actually had usb drives wear out so that issue might still be a problem as well.
 
Back
Top