Solid State Drives Too Damn Small

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
5uiiv9.jpg

The size of a typical nvme is similar to a stick of ram. I would argue the darn retention screw is to small and its easy to drop into the mobo when installing.

Asus boards Z690 have these latches now these plastic things in place of the screws that release the drives the lock in a circular motion like 180 degrees. The thing is they took away lots of Sata Ports on boards this gen. Some boards don't have any Sata ports.

I mean are Gen 3 and Gen 4 drives going to be Gen 5 compatible?
Sata3 has been around forever too bad they couldn't increase the speed making a Sata 4.
The capacity is small you have to basically sell a kidney for a M.2 4TB Sata drive.

Yeah they need to rethink the retention system for sure.

As for too small? I like how clean my builds have been with m.2s inside. No more sata and power wires running all over the place. The last SATA build I will ever do is my HTPC which has 5x 1tb 2.5" SSDs in it. Luckily the case it's in has a separate compartment to hide all the drives and wires.

Last edited:
Too damn small? No way. The hell I'm going back to laptops that need a huge space set aside for a 2.5" device. Better to use that area for battery and/or to reduce the size/weight.

The size of a typical nvme is similar to a stick of ram. I would argue the darn retention screw is to small and its easy to drop into the mobo when installing.
Yeah they need to rethink the retention system for sure.

Yeah, they really screwed that part up. I don't get why they didn't use a spring-clip setup similar to what SO-DIMMs use.

Too damn small? No way. The hell I'm going back to laptops that need a huge space set aside for a 2.5" device. Better to use that area for battery and/or to reduce the size/weight.

Yeah, they really screwed that part up. I don't get why they didn't use a spring-clip setup similar to what SO-DIMMs use.
I was just thinking something like that then I got to your post. :) I can deal, but those tiny screws are annoying. The only defense I can come up with for them is M.2 was originally a laptop thing AFAIK, and started out as an SATA interface so it wasn't any faster than a 2.5". So they went with cheap since it was for laptops and people don't open up and upgrade those nearly as much as they do with DIY desktops.

that would be easy if there was only 1 length instead of the 3 or 4 lengths they have.

I pulled a 30mm Nvme out of a recent Dell laptop....first I saw instead of the normal 80mm. It went bad a lot faster than normal size. Of course that was a total of 1 30mm drive in my extensive history of using them lol. :D

Last edited:
lol from title, i wasnt even thinking physical size...i was thinking storage space. 500GB drives in most of my system, would love to go 2TB or 4TB, but damn the cost!
LOL yes.... And second, I agree for some reason as soon as you hit 2TB the price per gig shoots way up. I don't quite understand.

I pulled a 30mm Nvme out of a recent Dell laptop....first I saw instead of the normal 80mm. It went bad a lot faster than normal size. Of course that was a total of 1 30mm drive in my extensive history of using them lol. :D
They have fewer flash chips to spread the wear around.

LOL yes.... And second, I agree for some reason as soon as you hit 2TB the price per gig shoots way up. I don't quite understand.

The top-of-the-line for any model SSD/HDD (or any other component, for that matter) has always carried a price premium.

SSDs are not small, there are NVME U.2 that have 15TB+, thats pretty close to what spinning drives give you, but the real problem is the price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I too feel it would better if the 2-4tb were cheaper by now,

Funny enough, after complaining about the price, BestBuy Canada has the 870 EVO 1TB on sale for CDN$140 (down from 210) and the 2TB for CDN$300 (down from 370). I jumped on the Quest 2 deal which came with a $70 instant BB cash card so got the 2TB 870 EVO using that. Thought about the 2TB 870 QVO for $209, but just couldn't go QVO.

I have two installed but I want a 3rd so Epic and Steam and UBI have their own drive. I group Blizzard with UBI I still have a 6tb spinner installed now I have a bunch of unused 1tb sata drives just going to use them for backup data.FB_IMG_1637522275734.jpg

I think the nvme screws on my dark hero x570 asus board are captive because I didn't have this problem this time.

Back