• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Solid State Disks

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
12,777
These solid state disks were brought up in another thread. Does anyone have experience with them? How expensive are they? What's the performance like?

Does anyone have experience with similar products? I remember reading about an PCI card recently that took slower memory (PC2100, I think) that provided a solid state disk, too; it was rumored to be inexpensive -- around $50 with zero memory. Does anyone have links to that product? It came out of the rumor mill, and I can't seem to track it down again.
 
I found the Cenatek Rocket Drive, but I don't think that's what I was thinking of. Anyone have any experience with it, just the same?
 
The problems with solid state disks, while almost "taken care of" are still there. Rewrite numbers are extremely high for HDD's, and a solid (flash) disk cannot take the high number of rewrites without corrupting. I know that it's getting better, but the life may (or may not, mechanical failure) still be much less than a normal moving disk.
 
You're assuming flash. There are drives which use battery-backed DRAM, including the one I was originally thinking of, from Gigabyte.
 
Back
Top