Solid Gold Porsche

HardOCP News

[H] News
While we are [H]uge car buffs around here, we can’t see covering your whole car in 18k gold, Porsche or not. Imagine getting into an accident in that thing. :eek:

If I were a lesser, more financially desparate man, I'd try to pry the gold plating off that and see what I can get for it. (aside from jailtime, of course)

That said, I'm getting a 403 error when clicking the link, so I can't see the actual article/gallery on it. :( Anyone else able to see it?

damn. I bet his gas milage went through the roof

If I were a lesser, more financially desparate man, I'd try to pry the gold plating off that and see what I can get for it. (aside from jailtime, of course)

That said, I'm getting a 403 error when clicking the link, so I can't see the actual article/gallery on it. :( Anyone else able to see it?

Same here. Page's down on my end. The snatched pic's good enough for me though.

I'm curious how much the car weighs now lol

Interesting. If you took the panels down to bare metal, polished and plated it would probably weigh less than paint. So long as it doesn't get scratched, it would also never rust.

From the plate, it looks to be in the EU? I'mm thinking in the US you'd have to avoid parking at Walmart or you'd be keyed to ribbons. I'm guessing the owner probably doesn't shop at Walmart ;)

so does the value of the car rise and fall with the value of AU?

For the money spent on something like this the owner may have been able to buy a much more sought after car that will appreciate in value over time.

Now we know what the next big automotive thing for rap stars to do will be.

Imagine a solid gold engine ;)

yeah then imagine it throwing a rod through the block on the first 5 minutes of running and then laughing at the poor SOB who paid all that money for a piece of crap

Is it wrong that the first thing this reminded me of was the Elven horse armor in Oblivion?

*shrug* whatever floats their boat I suppose.

It really doesn't look good though. But then if I had that kind of money I would likely find some way to be unbelievably tacky with it as well. :)

If it was the gold would be on the rims not the car ;)

Gold rims would fail almost immediatly. There is a reason rims are very expensive - They are a combination of metal's making a singular tough alloy.

I don't know how much gold he used in it, but it couldn't have done good things for it's power:weight ratio. I mean if I was that rich, I'd be looking to lighten my car with carbon fiber parts, not make it heavier...

I don't know how much gold he used in it, but it couldn't have done good things for it's power:weight ratio. I mean if I was that rich, I'd be looking to lighten my car with carbon fiber parts, not make it heavier...

Gold rims would fail almost immediatly. There is a reason rims are very expensive - They are a combination of metal's making a singular tough alloy.

You know I was trying to make a simple 'rapper' 'rims' joke and you had to throw your technicalities in there :rolleyes:

Unfortunately what the owner of that car doesn't realize is all the gold in the world couldn't buy him good taste.

Unfortunately what the owner of that car doesn't realize is all the gold in the world couldn't buy him good taste.

LOL, if you think that's bad you need to check Viceroy's look to get a look at the floormats.:confused:

Gold is a soft metal. 24K wouldn't be strong enough to weather... the weather.

Gold is also a very dense metal, which means it's very heavy. Even with mere electro-plating, it adds great weight. It also doesn't tarnish nor rust.

Personally, it's a completely ridiculous metal to use on the outside of an automobile.

Gold is an accent, not a primary material.

You'd have to hire an armed guard to watch it 24/7. It's not "if" something will happen to it, but "when", and when it does it serves him right.

only 18K, why not 24k

cheap bastard

So thats were Russian gold reserve went.

And yes, those are Russian license plate numbers.

Gold is a soft metal. 24K wouldn't be strong enough to weather... the weather.

Gold is also a very dense metal, which means it's very heavy. Even with mere electro-plating, it adds great weight. It also doesn't tarnish nor rust.

Personally, it's a completely ridiculous metal to use on the outside of an automobile.

Gold is an accent, not a primary material.

You'd have to hire an armed guard to watch it 24/7. It's not "if" something will happen to it, but "when", and when it does it serves him right.

I was joking about that. You and Mchart are taking all the fun out of this thread. :(

Anyone got a good "In Soviet Russia..." joke for the occasion? Minus the "... car drives you".

Poor car. This man should be arrested for defacing such beautiful property.

The UAE folks does it better with silver.

There is a reason rims are very expensive - They are a combination of metal's making a singular tough alloy.
Because I'm an asshole...

A rim is the outer part of a wheel on which a tire is affixed (the 'bead' of the tire). A wheel, in this context, is a device that is capable of being attached to a shaft or an axle such that it can be rotated around that axle. To mount a rim to an axle, you need what's sometimes known as a center, attached to the rim via spokes (though most car wheels are technically just large centers welded to a rim).

Moral of the story? Wheels. Not rims. Wheeeeeeels.

Good gravy that is fugly looking. I much prefer the German Racing Silver on such cars.

quite possibly the tackiest thing I have seen since gold plated ibook and gold plated 50th anniversary campagnolo groupset (except then i saw the celebrity pages this morning)

Back