Soldering different LEDs on keyboard...

crABtoad

Limp Gawd
So, I have a KBT Pure Limited Edition with orange colored LEDs currently and I've been wishing they were red (very slight spectrum shift, I know :p)

I recently decided to solder up a Mini-B USB/PS2 cable (From a recent thread around these parts), and I thought it might be fun to switch out the LEDs on my keyboard.

I think the board is wave soldered, which has something to do with treating the PCB and running it through a vat, and the flux only sticks to the contacts, or something.

How tricky is it to resolder LEDs in general? Assuming I match up the electrical characteristics. I haven't soldered anything in years, but I can handle precise work.

The other part that scares me about this, is that it's a reasonably nice keyboard that I don't want to mess up.

Any advice?

Nothing really special to it iirc; you may need to use a different resistor with different LED color (I'm not sure on specifics here). Other than that, just take note of how durable the PCB may be and try not to heat it up too long/high or you could ruin the contact, same old same old.

Okay, I'll look into the resistor requirements. Thanks for the heads up. I'll pull apart the keyboard sometime later and take another look at the PCB.

Back