SolarWinds TFTP/IOS Upgrade questions (newb)

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I am not eating until 4PM so I figured I would play with my routers. I have the IOS 12.3.6 version. I am completely new to upgrading the IOS and TFTP servers. I was wondering if anyone could assist. What needs to be done with the TFTP server?

I set the root directory to where the IOS bin file is. I set it to transmit and receive. (is this wrong?)

What do I do with the TFTP server after that?

COKE CAN said:
Ok, so I am not eating until 4PM so I figured I would play with my routers. I have the IOS 12.3.6 version. I am completely new to upgrading the IOS and TFTP servers. I was wondering if anyone could assist. What needs to be done with the TFTP server?

I set the root directory to where the IOS bin file is. I set it to transmit and receive. (is this wrong?)

What do I do with the TFTP server after that?

Pretty much nothing. Tftp is a open transfer system. There are no facilities built in for username of password, so it's totaly open. Some Tftp softwares have the ability to restrict by IP address, but that's a feature of the software not the protocol.

Go to your router do a "copy tftp: flash:" and then set your boot parameter.

moetop said:
Pretty much nothing. Tftp is a open transfer system. There are no facilities built in for username of password, so it's totaly open. Some Tftp softwares have the ability to restrict by IP address, but that's a feature of the software not the protocol.

Go to your router do a "copy tftp: flash:" and then set your boot parameter.

I only have the machine hooked up via console, is that fine? These are new, so I haven't set everything up yet.

You can only tranfer TFTP over the ethernet connections.

If you are doing it by console, you can use X-modem, but that is super super slow.

Plug in, set your laptop/pc with tftp server, set the IP to the same of the router. tftp from the router to the pc and then copy away.

so my IP for my TFTP shows 192.168.0.7

Like I said, I am a newb, sp please bare with me.

So I am using a 2503 that has not been setup yet since they forgot my power cables. I have 1, that's how I am able to mess with them one by one. So I have a transceiver hooked into the aux port on the back. So do I set e0 to 192.167.0.7?

If you have the TFTP server on your Laptop and your Laptop is plugged into the console of the router.

Find your laptop IP.
Address an IP in the same range to the eth0 on the router.
Verify you have connectivity to the laptop (ping works well enough)
Then type "copy tftp flash"

Which will then walk you through a couple of questions/steps (I'm not in front of my routers or my books so this is partially from memory).

EDIt:
Here... this is a pretty good write up for it:
http://www.bdsltd.co.uk/network/cisco/upgrade.htm

My console is hooked up to my desktop, eth0 is hooked up to my laptop. Static IP on the laptop, wireless off. eth0 set to 192.168.0.7

I get the following error:

R1>en
Password:
R1#copy tftp flash
**** NOTICE ****
Flash load helper v1.0
This process will accept the copy options and then terminate
the current system image to use the ROM based image for the copy.
Routing functionality will not be available during that time.
If you are logged in via telnet, this connection will terminate.
Users with console access can see the results of the copy operation.
---- ******** ----
Proceed? [confirm]

System flash directory:
File Length Name/status
1 8930332 c2500-js-l.113_4.apo
[8930396 bytes used, 7846820 available, 16777216 total]
Address or name of remote host [192.168.0.7]?
Source file name? c2500-i-l.123-6.apo
Destination file name [c2500-i-l.123-6.apo]?
Accessing file 'c2500-i-l.123-6.apo' on 192.168.0.7...
Loading c2500-i-l.123-6.apo . [File not found]
[failed]

One more thanks guys!

R1#show version
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.3(6), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 11-Feb-04 18:38 by kellythw
Image text-base: 0x03070338, data-base: 0x00001000

Back