Solaris 10 help

Hi guys, I have an old PC that I'm trying to make Solaris 10 compatible. I'm thinking all I need to do is swap out the old mobo and get one that is compliant.

Right now it has:

DFI Infinity RS482
Athlon 3500+
200 GB SATA150 Maxtor HD

Can anyone who runs solaris confirm this?

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

There doesn't seem to be much there though. For best results I would definitely get something very mainstream and timid. Ya gotta think "corporate".. For Intel processors it's easy, just get an Intel board. For AMD processors.. figure out which chipset is best supported and go for it.

I am in Solaris 10 right now, I run it in Virtualbox and it's very nice.

As far as chipsets, Solaris actually does pretty good. Any Intel, AMD, ATi, nVidia, or even SIS chipset should work. Video cards your pretty much stuck with nVidia... As far as other hardware like sound cards, and scsi controllers, and IO cards, you'll have to check the compatibility list, or go to the manufacturers web site and see if they have a working driver.

Yeah, that was the link I used.. I wasn't sure if I have to just replace the mobo because that seems to be the only thing being incompatible. If I just switch out my DFI for something like Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 (listed as certified), do you think my PC will boot or do I have to switch out more things like HD and RAM?

Solaris is not fussy enough to care about hard drive. It supports SATA.

Memory? As long as it's half decent I see no reason for Solaris to reject it.

Ok, so I found that Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 is officially certified, but it's out of stock everywhere. :( maybe the something close would suffice..

The last time I ran Solaris on non-Sun hardware it was a real disaster. The SATA/IDE chipsets were detected and ran just fine, however getting my network devices to work was something else. Being totally unfamiliar with Solaris I was able to finally get it working after a few days and a lot of googling. Both the NIC chipsets on the motherboard were not supported by default, and required a binary driver that was not included. I used a 700mb sneaker-net packet to get that working. It was some Marvell and the NVidia chipset if I recall correctly.

Is there any particular reason you want to run Solaris 10? If you want to tinker with it, just know that on Sun-approved hardware it installs much easier. It might not help you now, but if you ever get to play with the big gear it will be a lot more straightforward.

Ok, so I found that Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 is officially certified, but it's out of stock everywhere. :( maybe the something close would suffice..

Any board that has the same chipset should work. Like I said Solaris has decent chipset support. Most boards should work without any issues.

I'm building this computer for my dad, he needs a solaris based server to run oracle and other db software, and buying one from sun is a bit expensive. So far it seems that all certified mobos are discontinued. Anyone know of a newer in stock mobo that has the same chipset as ASUS A8N32-SLI or Gigabyte GA-K8U-939?

I'm building this computer for my dad, he needs a solaris based server to run oracle and other db software, and buying one from sun is a bit expensive. So far it seems that all certified mobos are discontinued. Anyone know of a newer in stock mobo that has the same chipset as ASUS A8N32-SLI or Gigabyte GA-K8U-939?

Oracle does run on Linux, from what I've been hearing Oracle on Linux is actually starting to get patched first these days. Is this a real Oracle installation, or is this just something your dad wants to mess with?

Yeah, he is just going to settle with linux instead. It wasn't "preferable" according to him but hey it works heh.

Back