Solar Power Will Kill Coal Faster Than You Think

pretty sure those industries started as wholly owned and operated business...
Many of them however never could've expanded the way they did without govt. subsidies of some sort though. Either in terms of land, tax deductions, and/or cash payouts from the govt.

subsidies are a way for big government to get their hands in the pie and begin to dictate the actions of private business
The exact opposite is usually true actually.

Many of these private companies would lobby for govt. subsidies and then get to pay little or nothing back to the govt. so long as they were willing to provide some politically useful actions to the rollouts of their product or service.

The following numbers are not exact, they are merely meant to represent the sort of math involved for people that forgot the crap they learned in basic economics class.

If I tax fossil fuels 35%, but turn around and give them a 6% tax break, I am still taxing them 29%. The end user cost of fossil fuel has been artificially raised by the government.

If I tax renewables 35%, but turn around and give them a 9% tax break, and then 20% in direct subsidies, and then a total of another 20% in end user subsidies, then they are receiving a benefit of 14%. The end user cost of renewables has been artificially lowered by the government.

It is. But to who? The entire US economy? The economy that is literally built on and held up by oil and the production of war machines? The oil must flow. And not just for the benefit of big oil.
I don't think it matters. If you're standing up against subsidies for renewables, as Ducman is, then the same should be applied to oil companies. If you're not complaining about that and insisting those stop, then the argument against renewable subsidies rings hollow.

Many of them however never could've expanded the way they did without govt. subsidies of some sort though. Either in terms of land, tax deductions, and/or cash payouts from the govt.

The exact opposite is usually true actually.

Many of these private companies would lobby for govt. subsidies and then get to pay little or nothing back to the govt. so long as they were willing to provide some politically useful actions to the rollouts of their product or service.

please explain what "subsidies" they receive and be specific, so that everyone can understand...thanks

or maybe like the way the food industry fought back and influenced government by making the Heinz company the Secretary of State...hmmm could probably go all day with those analogies
Yeah, no shit we have regulatory capture across many areas of government. That's the whole point. How can you say government is at fault for dictating the actions of private business, like the oil companies, when it's literally oil interests running government? Government is just one more tool for big business to maximize profit. Blaming government is like blaming the gun when you hand it to a murderer. Gee, who could have guessed he would have gone and murdered someone?

I don't think it matters. If you're standing up against subsidies for renewables, as Ducman is, then the same should be applied to oil companies. If you're not complaining about that and insisting those stop, then the argument against renewable subsidies rings hollow.
Counting wars as a subsidy for fossil fuel, but not renewable rings just as hollow. Pretending that renewables do not receive subsidies, or that fossil fuels are just as subsidized, while in reality fossil fuels are heavily penalized, is willful ignorance.

The kicker is that I believe research into renewables should be subsidized, at least until a feasible commercial product that can stand on it's own against fossil without continued intervention is found. I simply don't believe in lying to myself that we are already there, or that modern coal in the US is nearly as evil as it is being portrayed..

i am 100 percent against green energy because i know the horrors it brings,.

Rates.jpg

see that guy?

it's 3 am and he's doing his laundry.

fuck green energy.

This.

Yes, it's getting cheaper, but without the subsidies it still much more expensive. Eliminate ALL the special subsidies and let them ALL complete on an even table.

There's also the expense of building/maintaining fossil fuel power plants to pick up the slack when the sun isn't shinning.
So you not only have the expense of the solar panels and also have to pay for a natural gas plant for raining days/night.

Problem with this is that you're comparing apples to oranges. Coal negatively impacts my quality of life. What is the cost associated with that and why isn't someone paying for it?

Their obligations being a promise to start doing things by no later than 2030. And in the meantime, China will continue to use coal because it makes sense.

https://www.reuters.com/article/china-economy-output
Their obligations being a promise to start doing things by no later than 2030. And in the meantime, China will continue to use coal because it makes sense.

-coal-idUSL3N1JB1LM

The people who laud China about being a climate leader have no idea of the scale of coal usage in China.

I've got a better Reuters article for you...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-energy-renewables-idUSKBN14P06P

Three hundred and sixty-one billion dollars. US. Just from the central government. Not including private investments, or independent loans from state firms.

Here is the good news: Renewable energy is INEVITABLE.

It really is, and it's coming faster than any expert predicted. The EIA has consistently undershot renewables projections. They weren't expecting renewables to account for as much of the energy mix as they do today until 2035.

Oh really?

https://www.livescience.com/20171-groundwater-pumping-causing-seas-rise.html

That was originally researched because oceans were rising faster than ice melt could be accounted for in those well understood models of yours (was in the last five years - well after the 80's). D'oh! You don't know what you don't know.

Then we have. https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...ising-seas-slowed-by-increasing-water-on-land

Uh huh...
slr_prediction_med.jpg

Your whole "academia is corrupt" line is pretty ridiculous. Sure, >95% of all scientists have contrived an environmental fiction and the people that discovered the lie happened to be a group of plucky billionaires and petrogiants. Where's Scooby and the gang to unmask this horrible crime... /s

Regardless,
dba34200-2841-0133-775b-0aecee5a8273.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a better Reuters article for you...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-energy-renewables-idUSKBN14P06P

Three hundred and sixty-one billion dollars. US. Just from the central government. Not including private investments, or independent loans from state firms.
Which isn't a lot of money, when you consider the scale of China's electricity generation, dominated by coal.

Mix-2016-1.png

http://chinaenergyportal.org/en/2016-detailed-electricity-statistics/

And even your article admits:
Illustrating the enormity of the challenge, the NEA repeated on Thursday that renewables will still only account for just 15 percent of overall energy consumption by 2020, equivalent to 580 million tonnes of coal.

Meanwhile, China's use of coal remains at about 50% of world production and recent months show electricity generated from coal setting new records.

http://blogs.platts.com/2017/05/02/china-coal-fired-power-generation-surprises-naysayers/

Last edited:
Which isn't a lot of money, when you consider the scale of China's electricity generation, dominated by coal. And even your article admits:

Meanwhile, China's use of coal remains at about 50% of world production and recent months show electricity generated from coal setting new records.

http://blogs.platts.com/2017/05/02/china-coal-fired-power-generation-surprises-naysayers/

Right, because $360 billion in new infrastructure is nothing, right? A rounding error, yes? Increasing solar production fivefold is a gimmick, I'm sure.

They're currently at ~70% coal and going forward are planning to reduce that to <50% within the decade. That's incredible given the scales in question.

The following numbers are not exact, they are merely meant to represent the sort of math involved for people that forgot the crap they learned in basic economics class.

If I tax fossil fuels 35%, but turn around and give them a 6% tax break, I am still taxing them 29%. The end user cost of fossil fuel has been artificially raised by the government.

If I tax renewables 35%, but turn around and give them a 9% tax break, and then 20% in direct subsidies, and then a total of another 20% in end user subsidies, then they are receiving a benefit of 14%. The end user cost of renewables has been artificially lowered by the government.

Economics doesn't use the word "artificial", because claiming a wholly man-made thing like the market isn't artificial is weird.

Right, because $360 billion in new infrastructure is nothing, right? A rounding error, yes? Increasing solar production fivefold is a gimmick, I'm sure.
As I said, it isn't when compared to the whole of the Chinese electricity system. And given how significant issue curtailment is already, even China may not be able to solve the problem of intermittency.

http://www.reuters.com/article/china-renewables-waste-idUSL3N1HR1HP
They're currently at ~70% coal and going forward are planning to reduce that to <50% within the decade. That's incredible given the scales in question.
And that will still probably mean more coal consumed and 12-13 GT of total annual CO2 emissions because China's electricity demand is still growing. And that drop isn't all that special, the US went from 48.5% of electricity from coal in 2007 to 30.4% from coal in 2016.

i am 100 percent against green energy because i know the horrors it brings,.

Rates.jpg

see that guy?

it's 3 am and he's doing his laundry.

fuck green energy.

The same applies to coal power etc. Specially if you are in a place that use power plants for heating as well.

If you note, weekends and holidays are cheap all day due to most industry and offices being closed.

Energy infrastructure isn't a cost. It's an investment, like education etc. etc.

Folks are getting brainwashed that anything implemented for a nation is a 'terrible waste or cost'. Probably by the folks that would prefer that money to go to them to be then put into hidden offshore bank accounts.

Problem with this is that you're comparing apples to oranges. Coal negatively impacts my quality of life. What is the cost associated with that and why isn't someone paying for it?
That cost is generally disregarded under our modern economic system and calculated as though it doesn't exist. "Externalities" as it were. Sure makes me for some wonderful discussions trying to convince anyone we should do anything differently.

Economics doesn't use the word "artificial", because claiming a wholly man-made thing like the market isn't artificial is weird.

That hardly changes the point I was making to the poster I was quoting.

Bloomberg? OK, doesn't that strike anyone else as being no more trustworthy than research paid for by Exxon?

Exactly that. Meanwhile, coal is not dead. Obama tried to kill it, but now that the regulations are being repealed, coal is surging again, and actually doing very well in terms of exporting to China. China paying the US for goods? Huh, imagine that.

Past that, the waste all these "clean energy" alternatives produce is ungodly. Just look at Wind farms for instance - they produce far more waste than the energy they produce. At what point do people wake up and realize that the whole "climate change" thing was just a Ponzi scheme for people with renewable energy companies to get rich?

As it stands now, back when it was called "Global Warming", none of the things "climate scientists" said would happen in 10 years happened when they said it THIRTY YEARS AGO. Polar Ice Caps are growing, coastlines aren't under water, Polar Bear population is on the increase, etc.

Yet all someone has to do is show a polar bear going for a swim and put on a voiceover like he lost his home and its the saddest thing ever, and dumbasses line up like lemmings to cry about the environment again.

I'm all for renewable energy - I am not for SJW lemmings screaming about things that were proven wrong 20 years ago, yet they still continue to insist they are true. Still waiting for that hole in the Ozone layer over Australia to get worse like they said it would in the 90s (it actually has gotten a little bit better).

Such a scam - clear the scam artists out, and then we will talk. But so long as the Clean Energy celebs and politicos keep flying their gas guzzling private jets to conferences to lecture everyone else on clean energy, they and all their screeching followers can go suck a fat one.

Obama tried to kill it, but now that the regulations are being repealed, coal is surging again,
This is the exact opposite of reality. Cheap natural gas and alt. energy were killing coal, not Obama.

The price of coal could double and it still wouldn't be where it was in late 2011/early 2012. If you think a 6 month bump, one that is heavily fueled by speculation, is going to reverse a decade long trend then you got another thing coming.

This is the exact opposite of reality. Cheap natural gas and alt. energy were killing coal, not Obama.

The price of coal could double and it still wouldn't be where it was in late 2011/early 2012. If you think a 6 month bump, one that is heavily fueled by speculation, is going to reverse a decade long trend then you got another thing coming.
Crock.

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests/powerplants/cleanplan/
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/242931-study-coal-plant-shutdowns-would-more-than-double-under-epa-climate said:
The Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) carbon limits for power plants are projected to cause 90 gigawatts of coal plant capacity to retire by 2040 so that states can comply, the Energy Information Administration (EIA) projected Friday.

That is more than double the 40 gigawatts that the EIA, the independent data arm of the Energy Department, predicted would be shut down in that time period if it weren’t for the climate rule. The United States currently has 1,212 coal-fired power plants with a total capacity of 329.8 gigawatts.

It's only the US that still thinks a lot of things should be like they were in 1955...like prices for stuff.
"Only the US"? I'm afraid that's more than a little absurd. Let's keep in mind that

Your whole "academia is corrupt" line is pretty ridiculous. Sure, >95% of all scientists have contrived an environmental fiction and the people that discovered the lie happened to be a group of plucky billionaires and petrogiants. Where's Scooby and the gang to unmask this horrible crime... /s
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the whole "97% of climate scientists agree" line turned out to be a pretty big lie.

Energy infrastructure isn't a cost. It's an investment, like education etc. etc
Let's assume that you mean "Renewable Energy Infrastructure is an investment" (fossil fuels, after all, are part of the energy industry, too). Based on that, it has proven to be a profoundly unprofitable investment, and will likely continue to be unprofitable for a few years.

For example, fossil fuel power generation costs about 4-5 cents/kWh, including fuel cost, maintenance, etc. Without the direct 2.2cent/kWh Production Tax Credit, many wind farms aren't profitable to run, despite having no fuel cost. And this is after all the special grants, tax credits, etc that states and the federal government use to reduce the capital costs of those renewable installations.

It's investment as in - Shit doesn't work without it! You pay for it so other things can happen and develop now and in the future. It's not a something that gives zero future benefit.

I've been around the world and met a lot of people but the same two things always crop up with the US population more than anywhere else.

Prices should always stay the same and they hate paying taxes for anything.

Hey guys, burning fossilized piles of crap that we dig up is causing a bunch of pollution. Let's focus on clean energy so we can be at the forefront of the development of the new technology!

But what about the people that dig up the piles of crap? They won't have jobs anymore.

Oh wait, your right. Better scrap a cleaner environment and all that economic growth. We wouldn't want a handful of people to be out of work digging holes.

All I want is for our country to remain able to do the coolest shit ever... Is that too much to ask?

john_f__kennedy_alien_hunter_by_sharpwriter-d4pkjm8.jpg

By 2040. Decades after Obama had left office. That is not killing coal. That is coal fired power plant operators not upgrading their equipment and shutting them down when they near EOL or aren't profitable enough to make them happy.

Net metering is unsustainable in the long-term, because if nobody has to ever pay electricity bills who would provide electricity when the sun isn't shining.

Not every house has the money, sun hours, or a roof big enough to support the panels they would need. Im sure apartments cant generate enough for all tenants either. Here in New England we are gonna be short on power generation for a bit, plus the federal tax credit will be going down 6% each year, so less and less people will switch, unless the cost of materials drops a good bit.

Even if net metering does eventually fail, battery technology will more than likely be in a great place by then.

Last edited:
Many of the solar cells have toxic metals in them and require toxic solvents and chemicals in order to process them for recycling that end up as waste.

For handling, installation, and removal of the panels this is certainly true. But during recycling the glass is removed and the silicon itself is exposed to various nasty chemicals so they can strip everything off of it.

Eeeew. Just like some asbestos situations, it may be better to just leave it all alone so it wont bother anyone. From what I have read, even the most 'rare' elements and materials, we have enough to last as we think of copper lasting. They are rare because they are difficult to separate and usually not like iron or yep, coal, where you find a little that can lead to decades worth of recovery. Thanx. Just a side note, gold and other metals are sometimes recovered and refined using cyanide. Funny how we are now interested in how we look foward to producing clean energy and taking notice in how we may recycle what left. Can look at this two ways but, if gold and other metal mining using cyanide can be contained, bet we can do it with silicon photovoltaics. Unless gold isnt as shiny as it seems!?

Last edited:
It would also be nice if I didn't have to suffer because someone else used coal to pollute the air and ground and put people early in their graves.

I have to list the negative sides of coal production and burning? If you tried to start a business with the same pollution as a coal fired power plant you would get a deny faster than you could do the application. If you don't know, coal is filled with a lot of other things than just clean coal. Mercury, arsenic, thorium, uranium, chromium, cadmium and so on.

This is not a disagreement with the need to clean up the world of pollution. Its a reflection about that as technology gets better, old technology leads to new ones that are better than the last. Coal was just the technology that was irreplaceable during the centuries when it was used for : cooking, power, forging iron making things better. There was'nt a solar cell available when coal was major in use. There wasnt even electric power for the majority of the years that coal was being used. Coal was the only way to make reliable heat for the centuries that it has been used. Just like many things pertaining to how things are used before anyone took the time to discover if there was a bad side to its thoughtless use. The romans used lead to flavor ingestables and to store wine. Wheewww. Yeah lead. It took time to invent the things to replace coal and it wont happen overnight.
Now folks are more ecologically conscious and voting the proper folks into office to assist in getting it all done. You are placing todays understanding of what coal is about as if it was always the case. Its the information that we now know and coal was a part of building the society that we have today. Coal has just reached the point where its benifits no longer out weigh its bad. Better ways of doing what coal did has been found and will be taking coals place. Its a process. It takes a bit of time.

or maybe like the way the food industry fought back and influenced government by making the Heinz company the Secretary of State...hmmm could probably go all day with those analogies

Not quite an analogy just a way to remember that not every govt intervention is one sided. Yes. There is definitely corruption and unfortunately its seen whenever there are large amounts of money thrown around. I still dont get the Heinz reference? Maybe I didnt follow the entire Kerry story, I many times "pit stop" politics. Just get enough to not be lost if something comes up, and then drive off. A "drive by". Kerry had a bunch of money, married someone with more and......... ???? What was on the table that the Kerry heinz marriage helped them <food industry> achieve? Its a bit off topic but now I wonder if it was important and something to remember or something else.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the whole "97% of climate scientists agree" line turned out to be a pretty big lie.

Nope. Those are actual surveys, all independent and conducted over several years.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-advanced.htm

That hardly changes the point I was making to the poster I was quoting.

It does, because it presumes that any situation in a mixed economy like America is more moral or natural than the other. It isn't. An economy, and a market, is merely a method of allocating scarce resources. Laws and rules manage that tool. When you have a problem to fix, no tool in the toolbox is really out of bounds to fix it. It's merely a matter of finding and applying the right tool to each situation in order to maximize aggregate benefits and efficiency.

A hammer is not more natural than a screwdriver.

As I pointed out in my first post, it's inefficient and inconsistent that we internalize solid waste but not gaseous and particulate waste. A carbon tax isn't "artificially" increasing the cost of fossil fuels, it's allocating the true cost of fossil fuels back on the firms that gain from them. If that makes fossil fuels unsustainable...well...then that means it unsustainable to begin with. Which means we're just supporting rent-dependent (lookup economic rents) zombie companies. Which means we're also blocking the market from disruptive new entrants.

Last edited:

Bingo.

Everything looks good when you take politics out of it.

The problem isn't coal - its people who have to mix their politics into everything, even in places it doesn't belong, because it taints their ability to distinguish the reality of what's actually happening, from their political talking points that they often cling to despite reality contradicting them. In that aspect, its almost just like a cult, and its hard for someone indoctrinated into a cult to break out of the brainwashing.

Remove all subsidies for power generation no matter the source...

And remove all market distorting penalties from the sale of electricity.

See Obama's family friendly "Revenue Decoupling Adjustmentt", snuck into the enormous stimulus bill.

In plain English, this allows utilities to charge customers extra as electrical usage declines, to ensure their PROFIT DOES NOT DECLINE.

A penalty in the form of higher rates as users use less energy. Think about that model. If we all reduced our usage to 1 LED light bulb this charge would be made high enough to ensure the electrical utilities would still be as profitable as they are today.

Exactly that. Meanwhile, coal is not dead. Obama tried to kill it, but now that the regulations are being repealed, coal is surging again, and actually doing very well in terms of exporting to China. China paying the US for goods? Huh, imagine that.

Past that, the waste all these "clean energy" alternatives produce is ungodly. Just look at Wind farms for instance - they produce far more waste than the energy they produce. At what point do people wake up and realize that the whole "climate change" thing was just a Ponzi scheme for people with renewable energy companies to get rich?

I couldnt get my head around wind farms creating waste. Wide open vistas filled with turbines spinning in the wind, reminds me more of an XP desktop background than something dirty. Whats the truth? Did a bit of research and I found out that the "waste" position is wrong. A misnomer. An inaccurate description. What is being described is the mining of 'ALL RARE EARTH ELEMENTS". Thats the news that places wind farms back into the clean zone. The dirty issue comes up when unscrupulous mining operators dump waste where it doesnt belong by not folllowing proper disposal procedures. Thats the real. The bad news is that every item that we use is now on notice if it uses rare earth minerals that come from unscrupulous areas.

Rare earths, for sake of this post, are usually all found together. Mining one gets you all of the others. This means that a portion of the rare earths mined goes into the generators of the wind turbines, the rest goes into.......get ready: Smart phones, red and blue phosphors, computers, pet scanners, led bulbs, vanadium steel, fibre optics, lasers, florescent lamps, fuel cells, x-ray tubes, nuclear control rods, electric motors, camera lenses, spark plugs, aluminium alloys, and of course magnets. Wind turbines are taking the distorted weight for all of these things by folks trying to make it look ungreen.

Its really the morals of the mining operators that cause the waste problem. Its not inherent in getting power from the wind. Now, we can debate if we still want to use our computers to debate these issues now that we know that our machines could possibly be contributing to the waste problem. Or we can realize that its not the minerals causing the problem. Its the people behind placing profits before ecologicial preservation causing the problems. People making clean dirty. Hmmmmm.

I'll comment the ponzi climate change later.

As long as you don't have to pay the difference in price, right?

Light attempt at straw manning huh?

Poisoning everything and everyone will end up more expensive. Not everyone is a short sighted idiot, you know.

Back