software vs hardware volume settings

xnorthx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
400
hello all,

i'm curious as to what ideal settings are like when setting up audio on a pc for music playback.

right now i have 4 different perceptions of "audio" and they all have independent controls

i'm currently running xp so...

1. windows volume control (master)
2. wave balance
3. foobar2000 internal volume
4. hardware


is there a certain way to have these setup to achieve the best sound? right now, my klipsch promedia 4.1 are not even turned up 1/4 of the way, but my windows master and wave , and foobar are all maxed. it sounds decent, but is this proper? are there better ways to set volume? does it affect quality enough to worry about it?

thanks for any help
 
When you get it working and it's loud enough for you to enjoy the audio from whatever you're listening to for the given moment at hand, that's the correct setting. ;)

I typically leave the Windows Mixer at full (XP Pro x64, another reason I can't stand Vista - the audio subsystem) and then make adjustments with a given application like foobar2k (doesn't alter the system WAV mixer), or whatever I'm using. I have a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s so the control pod is always here within arms reach, plus I tend to wear headphones quite often (Sony V6, or more likely for casual listening my Koss KSC-75 earclips which have an inline volume control).

Whatever is comfortable as a listening level is what I'd use as a rule of thumb, I suppose.
 
solid, guys, thanks.

i usually had it like this and only used foobar's internal volume to adjust. thanks again for the replies!
 
Back
Top