Software to take "disk image" backups?

D3DAiM

Limp Gawd
Having been through so many reformats/reinstalls in my day, it is my interest to find a tool where I can take a static "image" of my current hard drive configuration and flash it back to a previous state.

Ideally, what I would then do is reformat, install/customize my Windows down to a point where I haven't made any long-lasting compromises to my installation, and then I would take an image of that state that could return to if my driver installations go wrong, etc. I am also hoping that this software can re-partition if I decide later to get a larger drive, etc.

Something like this?
http://selfimage.en.softonic.com/

Thanks! :D
-d3d

I use Clonezilla daily at work. Best alternative I've found over Norton Ghost. Ghost is a great product but I like free Clonezilla.

Windows 7 has it built in. Go to Start and search "backup and restore".

Creates an image of your system disc (or other discs too) and then burns a self booting CD to restore from. What's cool is that you can store the image on a network drive and still recover from it. What's not cool is that the Windows 7 version startup disc will not work with UEFI installs, it has to be a BIOS based system.

Windows 7 has it built in. Go to Start and search "backup and restore".

Creates an image of your system disc (or other discs too) and then burns a self booting CD to restore from. What's cool is that you can store the image on a network drive and still recover from it. What's not cool is that the Windows 7 version startup disc will not work with UEFI installs, it has to be a BIOS based system.
Why do I not trust this..

Why do I not trust this..

Because Windows has had some of the worst backup results in history lol. I do however know a bunch of people that say it's actually a quality tool this time around (Windows 7), except for the fact you can't do any kind of compression.

I'm using Terabyte Image For Windows and it seems pretty good. It's always $33 for 3 licenses here. You can make a WinRE disk with it, it's fully aware of GPT, and will properly align recoveries on SSDs.

I have seen much talk here about how Acronis (the bought version) was good up until the 2011 version, but 2012 and 2013 have gone downhill.

Back