• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Software to slowly scroll through video files?

DellAxim

Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2003
Messages
999
I have a solid week 24/7 of security camera video that I need to review. It was recorded using windows media encoder, and, when I play it in windows media player the video is so long that I can't scroll through sort of frame by frame - the smallest movement fast forwards more than a minute.

What software can I use to play the video in slow motion, yet, also be able to speed up and watch seemlessly as well? Maybe something I could scroll back and forth with using my mouse wheel? I've got hours and hours of nothing happening, and just a few minutes of 'activity' that I need to find...
 
pause in media player classic, then every right press moves forward by one frame.
 
If you're not able to scroll through it reasonably slowly with WMP, there's a chance that the original encoding process put keyframes so far apart that it won't do it. VLC or MPC/MPC-HC can do a better job but, they'll still have issues as well.

You can attempt to use AVIDemux - yes, I know it's primarily designed to be used to convert video files but, it has a timeline and a jog-dial/scrubber wheel that allows you to do slow motion forward/backward viewing while not completely losing everything in the process. It can also extract frame sets (a specific sequence of frames given a start and end-point). I'm sure the OP has this in mind already - find the part in the video where whatever action or activity is and then extract that footage to another file.

You can extract sequences to BMP files, JPG files, or directly to another video format with or without audio, etc. Tons of features in a nice tight package of code.

That's what AVIDemux is used for, and don't let the "AVI" in the name fool you, it can read almost any file format. You can get AVIDemux and more info here:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

It's a multi-platform app as well, for Windows, Linux, and OSX. Very cool app, seriously. Here's a screenshot of it in action under Ubuntu right now (I'm doing some testing of 10.04, the latest Ubuntu).



Considering WMV is primarily a Windows format, it's pretty cool to be able to load this into AVIDemux very quickly. Frame back and forward using the cursor Left and Right keys for very slow frame-by-frame playback as well, or use the jog dial/scrubber wheel (on the right side) to go faster, or just click the timeline scrubber and jump to points.

Define a range of frames (click A to set the start point, B to set the end point) and then File - Save to get the options for save formats. Works great...
 
Thanks for the info guys! I don't think I should say a whole lot right now about it but somebody who deserves it is going to jail thanks to a few minutes of my video. :)

My camera doesn't deal with sunlight well, so I had dozens of hours of video to sort through that looked like the mothership was landing. :p
 
Back
Top