Software to Remote View/Manage Workstations?

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
I know there are plenty out there but my google skills are apparently sub par because I've only come up with some horribly constructed webpages and one app I'm on the fence about.

http://www.lanvisor.com/index.htm

I would like to be able to remotely view live images of user desktops, additional functionality is great but not necessary. Being able to remotely control systems too is secondary but if there's a decently priced option I would opt for it. I only need to view about 10 workstations so that should affect my options if they are site licenses or per system I suppose. Thanks guys!

What's your price range?

RealVNC (WinVNC) is what my company uses for this. https://www.realvnc.com/ They have many products. Their standard "VNC" product is only about $30/license (of course, each workstation would require a separate instance/license of VNC, so it scales...). It's software-based, and would let you do what you're describing (view and also control). VNC Viewer plus, built to take advantage of the intel core processors that support vpro--it costs $99 per license, but...if you have vpro compatible processors in the workstations, you don't need the software VNC running on the computer (since the server runs on the CPU hardware natively). So best-case scenario, you have all intel core processor workstations with vpro, and only need a single license of VNC Viewer Plus running on your system running the monitoring and controlling.

If you are looking for a supported option, take a peek at Dameware MiniRemote as well. Slick interface that you can push out to other clients. They've recently been acquired by Solarwinds, but I think a single admin license is still $99.

OP, did you mean to view multiple user screens simultaneously, or just random viewing of a single?

That sounds great. I know they are all at minimum Intel Core2Duo, from there though I will have to check to verify. Worst case I can swap out some CPUs to for ones with VPro, we refurbish PCs so we have literally thousands of processors lying around.

If you are looking for a supported option, take a peek at Dameware MiniRemote as well. Slick interface that you can push out to other clients. They've recently been acquired by Solarwinds, but I think a single admin license is still $99.

OP, did you mean to view multiple user screens simultaneously, or just random viewing of a single?

I would like to have a window showing all screens or at least multiple screens simultaneously. I know some options support live streams but even snapshots every 10-15 seconds would be fine.

Thanks Mewa, nice tool. We have been playing around with different ways of time tracking so this is something to consider. My guys specifically all have individual workstations but our warehouse employees do not which would complicate things a bit. I'd have to look into it.

I use dameware at work. It can have a live view of the end users machine while you select to simply view and not control the end user. Also if they have multiple screens you can select to view them all at one time as well. Instead of jumping from screen to screen.

Back