The downside to Anapod Explorer is...

Anapod Software currently supports the following devices:

* Apple iPod nano: First Generation
* Apple iPod nano: Second Generation
* Apple iPod shuffle: First Generation
* Apple iPod shuffle: Second Generation
* Apple iPod mini: First Generation
* Apple iPod mini: Second Generation
* Apple iPod: First Generation (mechanical wheel)
* Apple iPod: Second Generation (touch wheel)
* Apple iPod: Third Generation (touch wheel)
* Apple iPod: Fourth Generation (click wheel)
* Apple iPod: Fifth Generation (video display)
* Apple iPod photo
* Apple iPod U2 Special Edition
* iPod+HP (same as 4th Gen Apple iPod)

Because Apple, being the self-righteous elitist pig bastiges that they are, decided to encrypt 6th generation iPod databases, you're out of luck pulling the music off in a halfway decent and useful format - meaning the filenames and perhaps the tags too, that is. They (meaning the aforementioned self-righteous elitist pig bastiges) don't want people using third party software with iPods. Third party accessories are only another way to sell more iPods, but Apple (bastiges that they are) just wants everyone all nice and happy with iTunes, like it or not.

Anapod Explorer is a great product, but because of Apple's practically monopolistic practices in some respects, most people wanting a choice are stuck without one. I did some research to verify if Anapod was finally 6th generation compatible and apparently the answer is still "Nope" so... I could be wrong, but their own website lists the iPods above as being compatible - nothing 6th gen is on that list.

+1 for Anapod.

Didn't know about the encryption in the latest iPods though. :(

Your solution: Music Rescue

This program isn't free per se, but it will still let you pull off any song or video from your iPod. I have an iPod Classic (6th Gen) and a Nano (2nd Gen), and it works for both of them. Also, the program is very simple to use and will detect if you already have certain songs on the computer (so you don't pull the same songs off the player). The catch with regards to it not being free? All you have to do is hit "Ok" on the screen every 50 songs. There's no limit to the total number of songs you pull off iPods, no limit as to the number of uses, and no date limit. Oh - and you can install it onto the iPod itself in case you bring it to your friend's PC and he doesn't have the program. I love it.

I use PodWorks. Works just fine with my iPod Touch and my friends 80GB Classic. Of course, it's Mac only...

Also, depending on your Ipod version, you can view the hidden music folders on your Ipod, copy them to your hard drive, add the folders to Itunes and then consolidate your library. I've done this several times on my 5th Gen Ipod Video and it works beautifully and is free :)

Back