• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Software to Log CPU Usage and GPU Usage

brownkc

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
715
I'm looking for one or two programs that will monitor my CPU and GPU load. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I have found programs that will log temps but nothing that will provide a graph, chart or list of processor load over a period of time. I keep bogging down while playing certain games and would like a program such as this that could monitor a multicore CPU and possibly a GPU to see what is slowing things down. The GPU seems to be barely breaking a sweat so I am wondering if only one core is being used on the CPU or if it really is loading up several.

Thanks for any recommendations.
 
I know GPU-Z will log GPU usage.

Also, Lavalys Everest will log CPU usage per core and everything. It may also do GPU usage as well.
 
Maybe its not practical for you, but I keep GPU-Z and the task manager's "performance" tab open on my secondary monitor while I game in order to get some real-time information
 
Maybe its not practical for you, but I keep GPU-Z and the task manager's "performance" tab open on my secondary monitor while I game in order to get some real-time information

Sucks when you do that on a $1,300 monitor and that constant static image burns on your screen.
 
I will give both programs a try and see what they report. I don't have a second monitor so there is no good way to monitor usage while I am in game. I think there is a way to play inside a window but I thought doing so would put more demand on the system and overexaggerate the problem.

Here is the issue I am having. I regularly play TF2 on a 30" monitor on a 32 man server (normal limit should be 24 man). I have yet to find anything that will let it play smoothly at 2560x1600. However, even at 1920x1200 with no AA and 4x AF, I can get lags and stuttering and see fps drop to damn near zero. My current build is the first PC in my sig except the video card is now an EVGA Superclocked GTX 580. As Valve adds more items/features, the fps just keep getting worse. These issues have continued to occur as I upgrade (Vista to 7 (clean installs), C2D E6600 to Q6600 Oc'd to i7 920 OC'd (also tried no oc'd) and 8800GTX to 4870x2 to GTX 580). So everything indicates that the game is the issue. I'm just interested in finding out what piece of hardware is pushed to the limit.
 
a 30" CRT must be heavy!

I assure you it's burned. I've seen image persistence on my Westy, and this is not image persistence.

Regardless of what you want to call it, you do risk it damaging your expensive monitor.

Do you have anything worth posting about in this thread?
 
I assure you it's burned. I've seen image persistence on my Westy, and this is not image persistence.

Regardless of what you want to call it, you do risk it damaging your expensive monitor.

Do you have anything worth posting about in this thread?

Screen burn is visible with the screen off. Can you see it with the screen off?

The post you responded to talked about running the log on a secondary display... not your primary display. But even if you run it on your primary display while gaming.... it's behind the game window. No chance of image persistence.


OP On Linux I use collectd + `nvidia-settings -q all` .... there's bound to be an analogous combination for Windows.
 
I will give both programs a try and see what they report. I don't have a second monitor so there is no good way to monitor usage while I am in game. I think there is a way to play inside a window but I thought doing so would put more demand on the system and overexaggerate the problem.

Here is the issue I am having. I regularly play TF2 on a 30" monitor on a 32 man server (normal limit should be 24 man). I have yet to find anything that will let it play smoothly at 2560x1600. However, even at 1920x1200 with no AA and 4x AF, I can get lags and stuttering and see fps drop to damn near zero. My current build is the first PC in my sig except the video card is now an EVGA Superclocked GTX 580. As Valve adds more items/features, the fps just keep getting worse. These issues have continued to occur as I upgrade (Vista to 7 (clean installs), C2D E6600 to Q6600 Oc'd to i7 920 OC'd (also tried no oc'd) and 8800GTX to 4870x2 to GTX 580). So everything indicates that the game is the issue. I'm just interested in finding out what piece of hardware is pushed to the limit.

That seems weird. Is it always the same servers? I've had certain servers be choppy, even when the ping and FPS were fine.

My 5850, which should be similar to your 4870X2 depending on xfire scaling, absolutely crushes tf2, usually around 200fps with 16x AF and 8x AA at 1920x1200. And my processor is slower than yours. Seems like there is another issue.
 
Well Everest provided a fair amount of information. I hopped on a couple of busy servers and found that CPU usage never rarely got into the 70's, usually under 50, and never all 8 threads at the same time. Memory usage hovered around 3GB, so only around 1/2 used. The GPU stayed under 50 with a couple of spikes to 70% and only 350MB of its 1.5GB was being utilized. It looks to me like the lag must be from the server side for games.

As for which servers, I mainly play on 3 and I do find consistent issues across the 3 with the newer maps and a full load of people playing. My FPS can vary from 0 to 300. The biggest lag spikes are during a busy fight. When I come near a lot of activity, I tend to drop to around 100fps.

I just played a bit of Fallout 3 at 2560x1600 with high settings and everything ran smoothly. However, I did end up freezing after a bit.
 
Sucks when you do that on a $1,300 monitor and that constant static image burns on your screen.

Interesting, I have not seen any burn-n on any LCDs that I have owned over the past few years. Currently I'm on a Dell 2408WFP and I can have static images up on it for hours with absolutely no burn-in.

I even fell asleep at the PC once and it ran for at least 5 hours with no burn-in. I do know that older LCDs had burn-in issues but I thought that was long gone in newish models.
 
Back
Top