software to clean my computer, sort music/pics/xl sheets

surfbug

Limp Gawd
Hi

I have 10 years of data on my system.

I want to pull out all the music and other data

so I can save it before I wipe the drive....

any software out that does this?

I tried the search function in windows---but it wont copy and paste all that data.....or even if I try to copy little sections.....it wont work...

help!

thanks----

big al

Maybe you can do this using the search engine "Everything" which you can get here:
http://www.voidtools.com/

install it and let it run. In minute or two it will index your entire drive. then sort the list of files by type (click at the top of the column on the word "type"). highlight the entire block of files by type/file extension (.mp3 for example) copy and paste it to your destination drive. If "type" does not appear at the top of the list right click on the bar there and check off "type".

To select large numbers of files from the list, highlight the first file from the block by clicking on the file name, scroll down to the last file, then hold down shift while clicking on the name of the last file. Everything in between will then be highlighted. Then you can drag the selected files to the destination drive, or right clock on the highlighted files and select copy, etc etc.

What happens? It should work. Does an error or something come up or what?

I've moved many gigabytes at a time using the search. Just highlight everything, then drag it to an explorer window at the destination, and it should just work.

Hi

I have 10 years of data on my system.

I want to pull out all the music and other data

so I can save it before I wipe the drive....

any software out that does this?

I tried the search function in windows---but it wont copy and paste all that data.....or even if I try to copy little sections.....it wont work...

help!

thanks----

big al

What happens? It should work. Does an error or something come up or what?

I've moved many gigabytes at a time using the search. Just highlight everything, then drag it to an explorer window at the destination, and it should just work.

I gotta do it step by step and write it in here..

really it makes me nuts

uhmmmm I will try the other program too...

thnaks so much for the replies.....really ---this is making me bonkers...I want to put all music here

all pics there

all word docs here

all xl there...

that kinda thing!

thanks---big al

Back