Software specific network drive access

riceix

n00b
Well here goes my first post on here.. I have been around reading and need some help from the knowledge base here on the HardForum..

We have a program that requires full read and write access to files that reside on the network server. Currently I have this drive mapped, and it is visible to anyone that opens up My Computer. What can I do to allow the network computers to have full read and write access, but disable viewing of the drive? is there a way to only allow specific software to access a drive? Thanks in advance

First, you could use a UNC path instead of a mapped drive. That will decrease the directories visibility. If your software runs as a service, you can create a user account for the program to run as. You can also remove the List Folder property from the user accounts.

sorry for the forever late reply..
ya there isn't a way to only let the program to see the files. is there a way that I can restrict read and write access to a certain program as opposed to "Everyone" in AD having full permission?

Can't you set the security principles of that specific directory to only allow certain users in your AD to access it?

EDIT: You don't have GPO's?

sorry for the forever late reply..
ya there isn't a way to only let the program to see the files. is there a way that I can restrict read and write access to a certain program as opposed to "Everyone" in AD having full permission?

you cannot restrict file permissions based on software. You can only restrict access based on user accounts/groups
you can also disable "List Folder Contents" so that folder contents cannot be viewed, but files can still be accessed

Back