Software similar to Geek Squad's MRI / Analyzer?

idyll

n00b
Is there any software similar to Geek Squad's MRI program or their Analyzer? Some kind of all-in-one software CD I can put in my computer to determine if there are any hardware issues, scan for spyware/viruses, etc.

So far I've only been able to locate the Ultimate Boot CD, which is freeware but I am wondering whether there are any other options out there - free or not .

Thanks!

www.boot-land.net

That's where you'd want to go looking for such a disc. The MRI is just a collection of tools on a CD using WinPE, nothing really unusual about it and relatively easy to create for yourself, customized with the tools you specifically want.

The Ultimate BootCD for Windows is the superior product, aka UBCD4Win. UBCD is a DOS-based tool (well, at least no GUI Windows apps, I mean) and the original tool but it's dramatically improved in the UBCD4Win version and customizable like crazy.

There may be alternatives to many of the in house tools they use but from my experience, none of them are as user friendly. And for virus removal, I don't think an alternative exists, commercial or otherwise.

Avira offers a free "AntiVir Rescue System" that's on a bootable CD, updated frequently (several times per day) and available in ISO format. Whenever I plan to do a cleanup job, I always grab the latest ISO and burn it on a CDRW and take it with me (if the job is on-site in some other location, if not then I'm working at home). Works great, is relatively thorough, dumbass simple to use (click a button and wait for it to finish), can retrieve the latest AV updates if the machine has an active Internet connection, is Linux based (like a LiveCD) and has never given me a reason not to recommend it.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

Look for the Avira AntiVir Rescue System download on the list, currently the 76MB download (it gets slightly larger with each update, of course).

Very useful tool to have around and, again, using a CDRW makes it very practical as well.

Note: it's not a full blown suite of stuff like the MRI, but it is worth having around if needed. It does antivirus duties only.

Back