Software Said to Match Quantum Computing Speed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers at the Institute for Quantum Computing say that the correct software algorithms could, in theory, match the speed of a working quantum computer.

As a by-product of studying the predicted performance of quantum computing, Watrous and other researchers have shown how an algorithm little used in today's software could provide a new level of problem-solving performance in traditional computers, one that could match, in theory anyway, speeds obtained by quantum computers.

Exactly. I have a theory that Adriana Lima wants to leave her hubby and come be with me.

I don't get it, if this algorithm is so awesome, why would you even bother running quantum computers without it? (maybe the comparison useless?)

I dont understand what a quantum computer is.

They are computers that jump through connections on the Internet, putting right what was once wrong. Their only 24 hour contact is a technical support rep named Al, who can only guide them and appears in the form of a digital hologram. Once the computers have corrected the issue at that connection, they jump to the next connection, hopeing that the next leap will be the leap home.

They are computers that jump through connections on the Internet, putting right what was once wrong. Their only 24 hour contact is a technical support rep named Al, who can only guide them and appears in the form of a digital hologram. Once the computers have corrected the issue at that connection, they jump to the next connection, hopeing that the next leap will be the leap home.

That would be such a kick-ass TV show....at least, for the first season until the newness wears off.

I'm not gonna look for that paper, but I hope it's not simply computing eigenvalues and rounding them to use in standard calculations. It'll be ok for graphics only, but not beyond.

He's saying that in THEORY, everything is possible... bud.

Sorry, you're wrong. Things like going faster than the speed of light and breaking laws of thermodynamics can't happen.

Also, whatever your skewed version of what a theory is, this is actually based on hard science and mathematics, not just created out of thin air. So again, I ask you, how is a toaster supposed to cure cancer. Please explain this to me, because I can bet you that the guys who created or theorized this software can explain the basis on which it does or can work.

I'll be waiting, I have nothing to do.

would it be hard to use a quantum computer since maybe it is there and maybe it isn't?

would it be hard to use a quantum computer since maybe it is there and maybe it isn't?

It's both there and not there...until you open the box up. But you don't want to do that, it has a fancy X-Mas ribbon on it, and you'd have to cut that up to find out.

Sorry, you're wrong. Things like going faster than the speed of light and breaking laws of thermodynamics can't happen.

Ahh come on, when you say it like that your starting to sound more like the unbreaking will of religion and not like science.

Back