Software Raid?

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
I have a couple old 40gb IDE HDDs and was wondering if a software raid would improve performance or is it just a waste of time? The software RAID I'm talking about is the one that come with windows unless someone can show me toward a better one. These old 40gb are slow but I could use the extra storage and if software RAID0 works good then I'd have the extra storage and probably decent speed.

Skip it. 40GB drives are unlikely to have performance better than a single new disk... unless you have a thousand of them and want to run an SQL database. Desktop performance is often best served with a single drive.

Software RAID isn't going to improve performance no matter what drives you are using.

Software RAID isn't going to improve performance no matter what drives you are using.

Unless its raid-z.

OP if your after speed software raid is a big no no, especially in windows, thats the ultimate POS for raid.

I found the time today to run some benchmarks. I first tested my 160gb Maxtor SATA 2 drive and got 134mb/s burst and average of like 60mb/s. I then tested an 80gb IDE drive and got 112mb/s burst and ~30mb/s average. Last I tested my raid which consisted of 2x 40gb Maxtor IDE drives and scored a massive 34mb/s burst and 20mb/s average. I didn't test the raid drives separately but either way it wasn't worth it. Maybe I'll throw these 40gb drive into a pc and sell the pc and buy another 160gb sata2 maxtor and run hardware raid. One of them is decently quick so 2 should be good.

Back