• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Software RAID - will my PC handle it?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
8,069
Will the BP6 in my sig handle software raid okay? It will be its only function, nothing else. I might add more ram if necessary, but I wanted to know if I needed a standalone card or not. I want to try to get software RAID5, but RAID1 would be okay too


EDIT: Just realized the BP6 isn't in my sig :D

BP6 with 2x 366mhz Celerons
256MB of RAM
mmm...thats the pertinent information...
 
I think it depends on what your performance target is.

yeah, i guess i should have been a bit more clear

basically, its a media server that'll be serving an HTPC in our theater area. the only thing that would happen would be files being put on the server every now and then, and files being watched off of the server.
 
When Linux loads the software raid module (raid5.o) it'll print a series of performance numbers to the system log. Try "dmesg" to see what theoretical performance is for your machine. My guess is you'll be okay; even HDDVD is only 20mbit or so.

What drives and controller are you planning on using?
 
Back
Top