Software programs one shouldn't miss(For vista64)

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
So, what programs (free prefered) one should use to optimize windows vista64? I want to keep my OS as clean & fast as possible. Some programs are crap I know, but there must be some good ones with real effect.

I'm talking about registery cleaners, OS errors correcters, spyware removal software, memory management...etc

Thanks.

CCleaner for temp cleanup, Registry fixing, etc.

Windows Defender for anti-spyware/adware protection. (already part of the OS)

Eset Smart Security for AV/firewall/malware duties.

Either IE7 with IE7Pro as an add-on, or use Firefox with the NoScript and Ad-Block Plus extensions.

And here's what you really need to know:

Don't load a bunch of software on Vista in the hopes of using it to "keep it as clean & fast as possible." Vista is a self-tuning OS, it takes about 2-3 weeks of daily usage of the machine and the OS and then Vista will really take off. It learns your patterns of usage, what programs you open the most, times of day, etc. It tracks all this and makes itself work better for you and better than you or me or anyone else could possibly tune it.

It's not XP, it's not any other OS ever made. So don't treat it like XP, don't go into using Vista thinking it's XP, or like XP, or you're going to regret it. Simple.

Vista can take care of itself, and will do so. Defragging is automagic, done precisely when and if it's needed, at low priority so it doesn't interfere with anything you're doing. Third party defraggers simply are not needed with Vista, at all.

Just go into Vista thinking "This is cool, but I'm not going to bog myself down with worry about this OS, it can take care of itself" and you'll be a happy computer owner.

Go into it thinking it's XP and you have to do the same old shit you've probably been doing for years now (like most of us) and you're in for a rude awakening. Using most if not all of the software designed for XP to tune it, make it faster, keep it safe, will actually cause a world of shit for Vista. ALL of that stuff for XP and previous versions of Windows will only hurt Vista; not one of them from the past is going to prove useful because Vista does nearly all of that stuff as part of its self-tuning now.

'Nuff typed.

use all the stuff it comes with, its all 64 bit and its all low resource and they all still do a great job at what they do. i agree with everything bbz ghost said.

for the first time ever i think IE7 is the best right now (super low resource and blazing fast with 64 bit version)

nod32 is a must for viruses (it scans the computer in 64 bit)

also the firewall in vista is good but if you want to control it just download firewall control (tiny 64 bit app that lets you control incoming and outgoing connections in vista firewall) http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

use this for pdf viewing: http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/pdfx_viewer another tiny 64 bit app thats blazing fast

and last but not least: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Vista_Codec_Package/1159994557/1 install that and you wont need quicktime, a flash viewer, or any codecs ever again. everything will play from windows media player.

enjoy having a blazing fast top of the line OS with blazing fast apps ;) i know i do

Back