• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Software Pirate Surrenders

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Some guy copying and selling movies from his basement turned himself in to the police. Somehow the guy, who had already been sued by Warner Bros once for pirating, operated a public website selling burned movies and no one could catch him until he was reported by a customer and subsequently turned himself in.

Robert Uss of Reinholds, Pennsylvania, turned himself in Friday after the East Cocalico Township Police Department raided his house a week earlier, the BSA and MPAA said in a press release. Police seized more than 10,000 disks containing unauthorized copies of software and movies, the groups said.
 
is it really that hard to get a legitmate job and earn a honest living?

i guess so :rolleyes:
 
"There are many others ... out there selling illegal copies of software, and they need to know that we will find and prosecute them.”


Ummm, not unless they are sued by a major movie studio, conduct business as usual after losing a default judgement, then end up getting turned in by a disgruntled customer, raided by the local police....and then he turns himself in.

Talking smack in a case like this is humiliating. I would have just thanked the person the turned him in and the police for their cooperation and called it a day. ;)
 
Uss allegedly operated from his basement using a single computer and two disk burners, BSA and MPAA said.


The world is a much safer place now that Robert has been stopped...We can all rest easy now.
 
A chill went down my spine when I read that ominous warning from the MPAA to others out there doing this...it is only a matter of time before a major movie label sues you, does nothing to follow up on it and you are eventually turned in my someone who "bought a bad rip"....ultimately forcing you to turn yourself in....after the police raided your sweet bachelor pad...and failed to take you into custody.

what jackasses.


This guy is 200% in the wrong. But he is also a 200% low level turd making advanced copies of Happy Feet and selling them on his uber-l33t free-space website. Acting like the took down the Russian Mafia on this one makes the MPAA look 200% dumber than they already are.


(not sure what my fixation with "200%" today is ...:confused: I apologize for that)
 
how come no one was able to catch him?

can't you just call the credit card processor and get info from that?
 
Wow they make this such big news... just go to New York to China town and you will see vendors selling pirated movies right on the street.

They make such a big deal of it, yay our tax payers money going to protect companies who doesn't want to protect their own IP.
 
there's more and more guys where I work at selling bootlegs and dvd copys... It makes me sick...They are starting to outnumber the drug dealers...
 
Bootlegging is a big business today. Why? Because a lot of people are getting tired of paying $20 bucks for a mediocre movie and having no right to return it. At least with a bootleg, you are only paying what? 5 bucks at most, at least according to my cousin in law enforcement.

Good deal there.

To the person who said "Is it really that hard to get a good job?", I say "Hell YEAH!"
I've been looking for a warehouse, retail or computer techie (have an A+ cert.) for nearly 6 YEARS now. Still haven't found anything, and it ain't like I am picky! I've even gone to McDonald's and they say "Sorry, you're too smart to work for us!" basically!

It is not easy to find a job in this climate right now, it just isn't. The only people who say it is, are the very lucky, very inexperienced at job hunting, or very connected.
 
Bootlegging is a big business today. Why? Because a lot of people are getting tired of paying $20 bucks for a mediocre movie and having no right to return it. At least with a bootleg, you are only paying what? 5 bucks at most, at least according to my cousin in law enforcement.

Good deal there.

To the person who said "Is it really that hard to get a good job?", I say "Hell YEAH!"
I've been looking for a warehouse, retail or computer techie (have an A+ cert.) for nearly 6 YEARS now. Still haven't found anything, and it ain't like I am picky! I've even gone to McDonald's and they say "Sorry, you're too smart to work for us!" basically!

It is not easy to find a job in this climate right now, it just isn't. The only people who say it is, are the very lucky, very inexperienced at job hunting, or very connected.

i dont' bootlegg cause i don't want to end up like this dude
 
Bootlegging is a big business today. Why? Because a lot of people are getting tired of paying $20 bucks for a mediocre movie and having no right to return it. At least with a bootleg, you are only paying what? 5 bucks at most, at least according to my cousin in law enforcement.

Good deal there.

To the person who said "Is it really that hard to get a good job?", I say "Hell YEAH!"
I've been looking for a warehouse, retail or computer techie (have an A+ cert.) for nearly 6 YEARS now. Still haven't found anything, and it ain't like I am picky! I've even gone to McDonald's and they say "Sorry, you're too smart to work for us!" basically!

It is not easy to find a job in this climate right now, it just isn't. The only people who say it is, are the very lucky, very inexperienced at job hunting, or very connected.

Depends on your local economy, your region/countys economy might be booming but that means nothing to your local economy, if your a young guy/women, try looking for those type of jobs outside your safety zone (in this case I mean litterally area, city, etc)
 
Depends on your local economy, your region/countys economy might be booming but that means nothing to your local economy, if your a young guy/women, try looking for those type of jobs outside your safety zone (in this case I mean litterally area, city, etc)

Stupid not being able to edit :p, I forgot to mention that even if you have to move, its a job, as long as it pays enought, go out and get it, I know a guy who moved all over the country, lived in my current city twice before settling down here again, why? to meet new people, lie a bit, but mostly to find jobs he LIKED working at. He just got a job at MS and is enjoying himself in this city, but point is, don't be a rock, find a job you love, and if you have to move (as long as its affordable and worth it) move!
 
Bootlegging is a big business today. Why? Because a lot of people are getting tired of paying $20 bucks for a mediocre movie and having no right to return it. At least with a bootleg, you are only paying what? 5 bucks at most, at least according to my cousin in law enforcement.

Good deal there.

To the person who said "Is it really that hard to get a good job?", I say "Hell YEAH!"
I've been looking for a warehouse, retail or computer techie (have an A+ cert.) for nearly 6 YEARS now. Still haven't found anything, and it ain't like I am picky! I've even gone to McDonald's and they say "Sorry, you're too smart to work for us!" basically!

It is not easy to find a job in this climate right now, it just isn't. The only people who say it is, are the very lucky, very inexperienced at job hunting, or very connected.

Sounds like your overqualified for your area. Not uncommon...my lolo (thats grandpa in tagalog) came from the philippines with a degree in engineering and wanted to take up a job in civil engineering...took him 5 years to find a job...he was overqualified for the entry level positions and the higher level ones wouldn't accept the experience in the philippines.
 
I didn't realize how widespread movie pirating was till I went to a local HUGE flea market. (trader's village for people in the DFW area)

A guy was there selling movies that were still in the theater! I remember at the time it was brokeback mountain, and there it was sitting there in an official looking dvd case. $10 or something. Damn people have more balls than I do... I couldn't do that...
 
Back
Top