Software Makers Threaten to Sue eBay Over Counterfeits

HardOCP News

[H] News
First it was the jewelry people, then it was the handbag people, now it is the software people going after eBay for allowing counterfeit items to be sold on its site.

The Software and Information Industry Association, a Washington, D.C., trade association that counts companies such as Intuit, Sun Microsystems, and Red Hat as board members, said on Thursday that it's contemplating a lawsuit against eBay. Another option, the group said, would be lobbying Congress to rewrite the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and make online auctioneers liable for what's sold.

I'm not a big Ebayer by any measure of the word, but I was wondering how difficult it was for Ebay to actually know if a piece of software being sold was counterfeit, without asking the seller. Correct me if I'm wrong, surely sellers aren't listing them as such, nor are they posting images of the burned media. So what's up?

I wish Ebay could stop it - I don't know that they can, but I wish they could. I got ripped off once like that. Bought a PC game (and not at "this is a copy" prices) and the idiot sent me a CDR that had the name of the game hand written on the top. The guy had good feedback, and there was no way I could have known beforehand so I don't see how Ebay could have either. (either I was the first one he pulled that crap on, or the other people weren't upset about it like me)

I wish Ebay could stop it - I don't know that they can, but I wish they could. I got ripped off once like that. Bought a PC game (and not at "this is a copy" prices) and the idiot sent me a CDR that had the name of the game hand written on the top. The guy had good feedback, and there was no way I could have known beforehand so I don't see how Ebay could have either. (either I was the first one he pulled that crap on, or the other people weren't upset about it like me)

You know you could have taken it to safeharbor, postal inspector, software company, and paypal (if you paid via paypal). Hell, then after than, file a claim in small claims against him.

I'm really getting tired of these suits. They should sue the companies who make the optical disks pirated materials are found on and they should sue the mail companies who forwards the pirated materials.

Just another way for a company to get lazy and have another company be burdend by protecting their IP.

That's hilarious. They get the DMCA enacted to enforce draconian and blatantly malicious laws agains the public, then later, decide that it's not evil enough and want the governemnt to remove the only fair part of the law.

Maybe they should go back to making up numbers and crying about them.

I know, right? Ebay should read the seller's sales quote because the seller always put in "this software is pirated" when selling their product.

The only way that E-bay could stop this would be to personally inspect every single item being sold... have the seller ship the package to E-bay for inspection... then have E-bay send the package to the buyer if it is legit...

And the user would only be allowed to be charged AFTER the inspection was complete.

Would this work.... in a perfect world.. yes.

Would it work now? NO.. Not unless the seller doesn't want the money for the item for a few years after the auction, and the buyer doesn't want the item until a while after that.

i received negative feedback from a seller whom i called out on a counterfeit serial of nero8.

ebay has refused to erase the negative feedback i received and the montreal based seller is still in business, selling illegal serials.

i haven't been back to ebay since and just for the pundits, i don't use the copy of nero8 ultra i 'illegally' purchased for 15$.

i received negative feedback from a seller whom i called out on a counterfeit serial of nero8.

ebay has refused to erase the negative feedback i received and the montreal based seller is still in business, selling illegal serials.

i haven't been back to ebay since and just for the pundits, i don't use the copy of nero8 ultra i 'illegally' purchased for 15$.

You could report him to the appropriate authorities, selling pirated materials is a huge issue.

Also, FWIW, ebay now disabled negative feedbacks from sellers. Sellers can only now leave positive feedbacks. This was part of this whole concept of scam & blackmailing that was running rampant.

Of course they are going to sue eBay its the biggest, most visible and easiest target. They are probably hoping eBay will settle.

Shouldnt these idiots go after the actual seller of these counterfeits?

eBay is just a facilitator

Shouldnt these idiots go after the actual seller of these counterfeits?

eBay is just a facilitator

Hmm, I'm going to burn 1000 pirated copies of Vista and sell them on Ebay for $100 each and make a profit knowing I'm safe because it's Ebay that'll get in trouble and not me...

*evil laughter*

"Why should go after each and every pirater when we can just sue eBay and make them go after them."

Lazy ass, sue crazy people suck.

I'd agree they were just being sue happy, but Ebay does nothing about piracy at all. Even if you report a seller to ebay and paypal, nothing happens to them.

Back