software for *basic* image editing and printing?

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hi - I'm about to leave home for school in the fall - and I'm worried about my parents. They have a new digital camera (Canon S410) and I'd just like to find a simple software package that they could use to edit photos and print them. Mostly the only editing they would need to do would be to crop and rotate, though red eye reduction and maybe some color controls would be nice as well. As for printing - one feature I'd really like it to have is be able to print out thumbnails of a directory. Does anybody know of any software that is like this? Thanks!

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Adobe offers a trial in case you want to evaluate it first (and I recommend that you do)

Easily import photos from digital cameras, CDs, and scanners.

Capture frames from downloaded video files.

Quickly remove red eye, straighten and crop, and adjust lighting, contrast, color, and focus in the Quick Fix dialog box.

Automatically blend multiple images into seamless panoramas with Adobe Photomerge® technology.

Organize photos in the File Browser, where you can preview, sort, rotate, and rename images.

Automatically compress photos and attach them to e-mail messages.

Optimize images for posting on the Web.

Feature your photos in Web galleries using more than a dozen themed templates.

Quickly create GIF animations for your Web site.

Instantly apply 3D, bevel, and glow effects to create cool Web buttons.

Easily attach photos to messages in your favorite e-mail program. Photoshop Elements can automatically resize and optimize your images for quick sending and quality viewing.

Photoshop Elements seconded. I have this program and use it exclusivley for anything photo related. It is almost as powerful as its bigger brother but cuts out a lot of the stuff that non-professionals (like me) might need. The browser is kind of cool but I like the ability to do batch editing and do web page creation automatically. The red-eye tool can leave a bit to be desired sometimes but it does its job and with a little extra time can look really good. I also think the tutorials and help files leave a little to be desired, but there are PLENTY of people on the web that can help as most tricks for PS work in Elements also.

IMO, for the money, there is no better picture software out there.

Cheers.

Elements is also recommended. I really like the GIMP, but it has a pretty big learning curve compared to Photoshop Elements (and it's interface is not quite as good).

Back