‘Software Engineer’ Tops List of 2012s Best Jobs

Software Engineering is definitely good here in Wisconsin. Everyone from my graduating class in 2010 who graduated with a BS in Software Engineering already had a job lined up before they got their diploma. Salaries were 55K-60K on average for starting with 0 years of experience right out of school.

I think that is decent considering It's Wisconsin. It's pretty cheap to live here compared to something like California.

Software Engineering and development positions seem to be in abundance in southeastern Wisconsin the last couple of years. They seem to be quite competitive salary wise as well (although not 100k+ like the NYC guy). I have been getting a large number of calls from head hunters over the past 6 months or so with some very interesting options. I have also noticed several large companies in the area dropping pricey contractors, and picking up full time employees to try and save money. This should mean even more potential for software job openings as companies continue to try to run leaner.

$2K/mth for 350 sq/ft? Please tell me you're trying to get away from there. $1000/mth for mtg+util on 2,000 sq/ft, 2 car attached, blah blah blah. I think my first apartment was about 500 sq/ft and I paid $550 for rent+util.

Moving in with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance :) ) later this year. We planned to move in together last year but decided to wait as her parents are Indian and we didnt want them to be wierded out by the situation.

Long story short, yes I am moving, but 1900 + utilities for a studio in Manhattan is the average price these days.

That said, there are plenty of career developers who pass as "software engineers" who couldn't tell you what an interface is... I know, I've interviewed many.

If you asked me what an interface is, I'd shrug my shoulders and say "IUnknown". ;)

hey software engineers, please code you shit efficiently so us storage guys don't have to mask 'poor coding' with expensive storage......

Just saying.... :D

-SR

Ah yes, the jokes that are said by hardware guys about software guys.

Heh, its lists like these that creates so many computer science drop outs.

Its all about finding your niche and money doesn't necessarily equal happiness.

hey software engineers, please code you shit efficiently so us storage guys don't have to mask 'poor coding' with expensive storage......

Just saying.... :D

-SR

Hey Hardware Guys, Please understand that storing multiple matrixes of monte Carlo simulations can take gigabytes of data a day, a STFU :p

I'm just wrapping my freshman year of college. My major will be software engineering. I hope these jobs still exist in the US when I graduate in five more years.

For those unaware, Computer Engineering is a bachelors degree. And Software Engineering is a masters degree.

Maybe at your school, but that is just a ridiculous and blantant statement to make. It all depends on the school and what undergrad and graduate programs they offer.

I took a $42,000 position right out of college and in 6 years I have gone up to $63,000. I thought I was doing good until I read this article.

Change jobs. I once changed a job and got a 20k hike...bam.

Im in NYC my 2nd year out of school and currently make 104k (got a 15% raise last year) with about a 11k bonus. I have no complaints :). Crazy thing is im headhunted daily too.

104k in NYC is like 50k everywhere else.

104k in NYC is like 50k everywhere else.

Yeah, the cost of living is def higher, I wont argue that. My hope is to use the salary in a few years as negotiation while moving to a cheaper area :)

Besides, I have more than enough "extra" cash now, so Im not needing more at the moment.

Software engineer here as well. Sadly not enjoying it very much and I'm well below the average pay :( Maybe I should change :eek:

yawn...

bored...

14 days without drinking... 16 days to go...

and all this effort just to be able to drink more... <sigh...>

Where I live 88k is more then a livable wage. I would easily call it a "successful" career and living. Though in other locations this is not the case, just as in anything else, you pay for name brand even for states/cities!

I think many people think that the large expensive locations (NY, LA, SF etc) also pay accordingly, but if you look at the numbers in most cases salaries do not compensate for increased expenses for living in those areas. In many cases there is a bump in salary but if you compare cost of living, usually you will be at a lower income level if cost of living is factored in due to the high costs.

I live in Minnesota, luckily enough it has a very good salary to cost ratio.

Last year census data said MN 2 family home avg income is 61.1k.

Compare that with Calif (61.5K), New York (56.1k) and Hawaii (62.4k)... A few of the more expensive states to live in (obviously some places in those states are more expensive then others). Yet the average family income is very very close.

BTW Software Engineer is not always a programmer per se. I am technically a Senior Software Engineer, yet I know very little about programming. I actually build and edit installers for deployment via SCCM in a large node environment. Maybe a bit of VBS/scripting but nothing that requires actual programming language knowledge.

I miss getting to work in SCCM. When I was looking for jobs I found few, if any companies were looking for people with skill doing packaging.

Huzzah MN though!

Yeah, the cost of living is def higher, I wont argue that. My hope is to use the salary in a few years as negotiation while moving to a cheaper area :)

Besides, I have more than enough "extra" cash now, so Im not needing more at the moment.

People aren't stupid, especially hiring companies. They will calculate a cost of living difference for you before you even interview :) Your best best is to move asap lol. 2000/mo for 350sqft is absurd.

Anyone work in upstate NY (Hudson Valley) and have some advice for a soon to be CS graduate? I've been applying to a few places, but most openings around here are not entry level. It seems the only place that consistently has entry level openings is IBM (waiting for a response from them). It seems like I'll have to extend my search to NYC :/.

People aren't stupid, especially hiring companies. They will calculate a cost of living difference for you before you even interview :) Your best best is to move asap lol. 2000/mo for 350sqft is absurd.

Whats absurd is that at that rate there is a <1% vacancy rate in the city.

Wow, had no idea that would be considered a top best job. I like coding, and even I think I would get bored of it if I did it every day. Guess if you have a good ongoing project going on with a good work environment, that can really make a difference.

Wow, had no idea that would be considered a top best job. I like coding, and even I think I would get bored of it if I did it every day. Guess if you have a good ongoing project going on with a good work environment, that can really make a difference.

Everything gets boring if you do it every day though, even Music or Broadway or <whatever>. As long as you like it 90% of the time I think you are doing quite well :)

Everything gets boring if you do it every day though, even Music or Broadway or <whatever>. As long as you like it 90% of the time I think you are doing quite well :)

they goal is to do it every day for a few years, then get bought out by google :)

Suck it up, take out some student loans and live poor for a few years. The payoff is well worth it.

Software Engineering and development positions seem to be in abundance in southeastern Wisconsin the last couple of years. They seem to be quite competitive salary wise as well (although not 100k+ like the NYC guy). I have been getting a large number of calls from head hunters over the past 6 months or so with some very interesting options. I have also noticed several large companies in the area dropping pricey contractors, and picking up full time employees to try and save money. This should mean even more potential for software job openings as companies continue to try to run leaner.

Also a Software Engineer from SE WI and there are tons of jobs. Even after accepting an offer, which took less than a month since I put my resume on Monster middle of last year, I get calls and emails from recruiters.

Also a Software Engineer from SE WI and there are tons of jobs. Even after accepting an offer, which took less than a month since I put my resume on Monster middle of last year, I get calls and emails from recruiters.

I wish the weather wasn't so cold up there, the wife loves Madison.

Software engineering really is a great field to go into. While the unemployment rate is falling, there are still a lot of recent graduates who are finding it difficult to find a job, but those with a background in software engineering typically don't have this problem, especially if they have a master's degree. If you're thinking about going into this field, take a look at my website for more information on how to become a software engineer and why it is such a great job.

Wisconsin here as well in Madison area. We're always looking for new software developers!

Back