Software deployment question.

Gibson

Weaksauce
We deploy lots of apps through active directory where I work via computer GPO. I'm having a devil of a time with adobe acrobat. It had been working before, but now when I try to install I get error:

Product: Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard -- Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file \\{Servername}\{ShareName}\Adobe932Stan_New\DianaAdobe\Acrobat932\program files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\HTML2PDF.api

File exists there, no worries. Domain Computers has full access to the share and to the subdirs. So does system and Everyone (at least for testing) I reboot, says it's installing. Fails. Login. Try to ping the server this stuff is sitting on(fileserver that's accessed regularly by all) and can't ping by name OR IP. After ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns and /registerdns I can ping. I can access other resources on other servers fine, just not this one.

Tried rebuilding the MST file, etc.

Friggin weird. No subnet changes or anything like that. No bad routes on the fileserver.

I'm confused

2003 native domain, full cisco env, windows xp/7 mix, sym av

Try to ping the server this stuff is sitting on(fileserver that's accessed regularly by all) and can't ping by name OR IP. After ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns and /registerdns I can ping.

That's your problem, is it just a single workstation that's showing this problem or are all of them? I've had a problem with Win7 where it won't wait for the NIC to come up before continuing on which caused problems with software deployment, there's a fix out there for it but I can't recall where off the top of my head.

That's your problem, is it just a single workstation that's showing this problem or are all of them? I've had a problem with Win7 where it won't wait for the NIC to come up before continuing on which caused problems with software deployment, there's a fix out there for it but I can't recall where off the top of my head.

I'm testing with 2 XP machines and a W7 machine. Fails on all three. Tried updating NIC drivers as well. Dell D830 - XP, Dell D630 - XP, Dell E6400 - W7.

gpedit.msc -> Computer Config -> Admin Templates -> System -> Logon -> "Always wait fro the network at computer startup and logon" set it to Enabled.

try that?

It's enabled. It has network connectivity, but won't talk with the server. It'll talk to my laptop, other servers, but not this one. If I just let it set for 10 minutes it'll start talking. It's on a different vlan/subnet, but I'm able to ping other boxes on that subnet.

Now you've added a different wrinkle to the mix. So the laptop and the server you're trying to connect to are on different subnets? First test is to put them on the same subnet and see if that fixes your problem, since now it sounds like a problem either with your DHCP/DNS or your routing.

Back