Software compensation for TN viewing angles?

Does such a thing exist? Even when looking at a TN panel straight on, the bottom appears brighter than the top.

Is there software that will darken the bottom part of the screen or lighten the top part of the screen so you get more screen uniformity?

Never heard about such software. It would require the GFX card to do some local dimming on the images before they are sent to the screen and thats a very complicated task I believe, so I doubt it exist.

If you moved your head in the slightest the software would have to be adjusted to compensate.

You could use a web cam to track eye position and adjust the screen accordingly. This would obviously require a complex piece of software.

Buy a *VA/IPS panel next time :)

If you moved your head in the slightest the software would have to be adjusted to compensate.

You could use a web cam to track eye position and adjust the screen accordingly. This would obviously require a complex piece of software.

Buy a *VA/IPS panel next time :)

I think H-IPS panels are the best regarding the viewing angles :) But also the most expensive :(

Does such a thing exist? Even when looking at a TN panel straight on, the bottom appears brighter than the top.

Is there software that will darken the bottom part of the screen or lighten the top part of the screen so you get more screen uniformity?

No. I think (my personal opinion) that the effects are more visible on glossy screens. Maybe just your monitor have some specific brightness uniformity problems? In which applications it is the most apparent?

Hmm, y'know, I made this thread after I googled terms relating to it. Seems like there are scientific articles and patents on different methods for compensating for TN viewing angles. One link did have something for a real-time viewing angle compensation.

So, I'm to understand that when viewing any TN panel straight on, the top part will always be darker and the bottom part will always be lighter?

How is it for VA panels? Is the entire screen supposed to be uniform when viewing it straight on?

The problem is, that implementing these technologies woudl be pretty expensive, which would contradict the main advantage of TN panels - tehir price.

Actually I displike VA panels more then TN. They have that nasty gamma/contrast shift:
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eizocg241wcolorshifthq1.jpg

IPS are best and in USA they cost a fraction of the cost in Europe :) (I'm from Europe :( )
A lot of the videos and photos I've seen of that are for when shifting the view from side to side. How is it for up and down? The same?

Also, when you look at a VA straight on, is it all correct, at least? With the TNs I've tried, the top half of the screen and the bottom half differ even when looking straight on.

A lot of the videos and photos I've seen of that are for when shifting the view from side to side. How is it for up and down? The same?

Also, when you look at a VA straight on, is it all correct, at least? With the TNs I've tried, the top half of the screen and the bottom half differ even when looking straight on.

VA has a area shaped like a circle, that's darker than the surrounding areas, and it's right in your face, as it's only when viewed head on. Think of it as a shadow that is stuck on your eyeball, it drove me batty on the screens I tried.

VA panels may have a bit less gamma shift, but it is in both directions, instead of just up/down. This makes it harder to look at than TN, because each eye sees a the image through a different gamma curve. With TN, each eyes sees the same thing, at least.

A real "software" solution probably isn't really a possibility if you want to correct TN's viewing angle. It's the way the monitor just works.

There might be special clear coatings you could put in front of the monitor to increase the viewing angle though, although this will probably have some tradeoff.

You would need to wear a sensor like the wii that would track where your head is in relation to the screen, which would be weird. It wouldn't work on more than one person so for watching movies in a group is pretty useless.

Like I said, when viewing a TN panel straight on, it looks wrong anyway. So it doesn't look right at any angle. So something to make it look correct at one angle would be an improvement.

It would be best done in monitor,so it would work for everything, and include an OSD adjustment control. You only need up/down compensation as side-side modern TN actually beats VA.

Get into your most usual seating position, throw up test pattern and adjust until the screen is even. It could probably work half decently. Probably won't happen though.

Doing it on the computer is a complete waste of time, given that hardly anything even supports color management, nothing would support this.

Back