SoftMod Xbox HDD Upgrade...

Nikola

Limp Gawd
Alright, I've found all the guides, and know exactly what to do forwards and backwards and all of the guides lead me to believe that I can find the tools, meaning programs, to do the HDD swap easily; unfortuneately, this has not been the case for me.

I have found a few of the programs, but everytime I try and locate copies of the other programs such as HDLock and HDUnlock and most of the others I just run into hundreds of broken links and can't get anywhere.

Can anyone out there help me get the programs I need for this HDD swap? I need either working links or someone's FTP or an email with them or something. Please let me know, thanks.

You can use Config Magic Final to lock the X-Box' HD.

You can find it at #xbins

I'm just gonna guess that that's an IRC channel or something, I have no clue... Your gonna have to help me as I'm a n00b in that #pound# area...

Come on guys... Can anyone help me??? Get on AIM or ICQ or email me or something if you don't want to post, it's all in my sig...

yes #xbins is a mirc channel that has the programs that you need (i know ive done this). Pretty sure its on efnet, if not try googling #xbins and see if you can find the irc.

yes, irc.efnet.org:6667, #xbins.

once you verify with the bot, FTP into the server and all, and whammo, its all there

Be very careful when you're working with softmods. I've gotten my share of customers who need a hardmod installed because their softmod failed for some reason.

Do you mean they failed after a swap like this? My Xbox is already softmodded, so I didn't realize there was anymore risk to the BIOS... Please advise...

Nikola said:
Do you mean they failed after a swap like this? My Xbox is already softmodded, so I didn't realize there was anymore risk to the BIOS... Please advise...
He means double check, not be a pussy ;)

Ok, thanks for the help so far guys and the kind words from Creizai... BUT, I still can't find alot of the apps, that mIRC channel doesn't have all the apps I need. These are the ones I still need.

Hdlock
Hddisabl
liveinfo
hdprepar
HDD_Driver

If any of these are outdated and I can use other programs please let me know and point me to them. I'm finding that this is WAY harder than it should be.

I dont know much about the XBox soft mods so i hope you dont mind me asking a few questions. I dont mean to thread jack but making a thread about it seemed pointless.

Does this soft mod still allow you to play XBox live!? and Where can i read more about it?? Thank you and again im sorry if i thread jacked :( Good luck on your MOD :D

IMO softmodding is a waste of time and if you do it wrong, you're going to either A) Buy a modchip anyways or B) put the box on ebay.

The duox2 chips are about $15 with 3 day shipping in the xbox-scene forums and will take all new bioses including the xecuter 2 live 5032. It's definately the best bang for the buck.

Forsakenzoul said:
I dont know much about the XBox soft mods so i hope you dont mind me asking a few questions. I dont mean to thread jack but making a thread about it seemed pointless.

Does this soft mod still allow you to play XBox live!? and Where can i read more about it?? Thank you and again im sorry if i thread jacked :( Good luck on your MOD :D

Check out Xbox-Scene for more information on softmods. If you want my professional advice, don't do it.

Sweet thanx for the responce, one more question( i know i should look for it but im at work right now so computer time is limited) The Xecuter2 bios allows for Live! play?

don't listen to these peeps.

Softmod is fine if you don't use xbox live.

Just do it right and don't screw up.

All you need is a slayer's ISO and all the utilities are there to unlock hard drives, format, evox, etc....

Forsakenzoul said:

No problem about the thread man, it's all free bumps for me. :D

Marvelous said:
don't listen to these peeps.

Softmod is fine if you don't use xbox live.

Just do it right and don't screw up.

All you need is a slayer's ISO and all the utilities are there to unlock hard drives, format, evox, etc....

Unless you've repaired a hundred Xboxes, I wouldn't say a softmod is a smart idea. I don't get that many of them to repair, maybe 5 out of 50, but none of my modded Xboxes have ever come back for any kind of R&R.

Tons of people have asked me to do softmods, but I refuse them due to the possible amount of trouble that I or they can run into. But hey, if you don't want to take our word for it; it's a free country. :)

so the majority believes a chip mod is the answer, where can we find more info....
i am thinking of modding my xbox, so that i can have the games on the unit instead of on disc.
any help would be appreciated

Hang around the Xbox-Scene forums; there's a lot of stuff to be learned there.

And just to answer a previous question, any sort of mod, either a softmod or a hardmod, will generally prevent you from connecting to Xbox Live. You might find one that allows you to connect today, but there is no guarantee that it will last. If you can find a mod, so can Microsoft.

As far as I know, there's absolutely no way Microsoft can detect you have a chip unless it's turned on or you try to play an online game off of the HD. Now, things can get complicated when you decide to upgrade the hard drive and this is especially true if you previously logged on to XBL with your stock HD.

heatsinker said:
As far as I know, there's absolutely no way Microsoft can detect you have a chip unless it's turned on or you try to play an online game off of the HD. Now, things can get complicated when you decide to upgrade the hard drive and this is especially true if you previously logged on to XBL with your stock HD.

You really think that with the same access to the mods as the modders themselves that Microsoft couldn't find a why to detect them? Really? Perhaps if it is turned off as you suggest, but then what's the point of having it?

Creizai said:
Dont play on Microsofts X-Box Live then find another Alternative.

What alternative would that be (for Xbox)? System link yes, but that's LAN stuff. How else would you play online with an Xbox and NOT use Xbox Live?

JethroXP said:
You really think that with the same access to the mods as the modders themselves that Microsoft couldn't find a why to detect them? Really? Perhaps if it is turned off as you suggest, but then what's the point of having it?

What alternative would that be (for Xbox)? System link yes, but that's LAN stuff. How else would you play online with an Xbox and NOT use Xbox Live?

http://www.xbconnect.com/ :rolleyes:

JethroXP said:

You turn off the mod when you want to play online, you turn it on when you want to play emulators, use XBMC, use Linux, play offline games off of the HD, etc. If flicking a switch is really that much of a hassle, then I'm confused as to how such a person could even manage to get his ass off of the couch to get that Xbox.

And yes, there's no confirmation of MS using some kind of "mod sonar" to detect disabled modchips; just like there's no way for them to shut off the Xbox because it's overheating or because you're cheating on XBL.

All I know is that Nikola is the greatest guy ever, and DAMN is he good looking!

XBConnect looks a bit convoluted, not something the casual gamer would use. That said, I'm sure it's probably used mostly by people who do mod their boxes (and therefore are not casual gamers), which means that it's basically the wild west in regards to cheats and hacks. I actually prefer the control environment of XBL, because of the leaderboards, and the fact that they do clamp down on cheaters.

heatsinker said:
You turn off the mod when you want to play online, you turn it on when you want to play emulators, use XBMC, use Linux, play offline games off of the HD, etc. If flicking a switch is really that much of a hassle, then I'm confused as to how such a person could even manage to get his ass off of the couch to get that Xbox.

And yes, there's no confirmation of MS using some kind of "mod sonar" to detect disabled modchips; just like there's no way for them to shut off the Xbox because it's overheating or because you're cheating on XBL.

I suppose if you have the ability to power off the mod chip, and all other circuitry is unchanged, then it is plausible that they wouldn't be able to detect it. However once you start swapping components, such as the Hard Drive, then all bets are off. And BTW - while they may not be able to shut off your Xbox for cheating on XBL, they can most certainly ban your account, or even your box, from connecting again.

I don't know, XBL is certainly not something I was worrying about so, oh well... :rolleyes:

Although, once I get my HDD issue sorted out I certainly intend to give XBConnect a go...

Swapping the hard drive is definitely the biggest risk, but I've seen some go as far as to swap their stock one in when they want to play an online game.

Ok, well, for an update, I tried XboxHDM tonight, and to no avail, it didn't work for me... At least not the way I tried it the first couple of times, I'm still experimenting and hopefully will have some good news later this morning. If this doesn't work I don't know what to try next...

Well, I tried building the HDD from scratch, using the files from the cd I burned and the Xbox would not boot to the HDD after I was done, and I DID lock the drive. Next I tried cloning the HDD from the one I already have done with EvoX, Avalaunch, etc., and I believe that I was responsible for that one not working because I had forgotten to unlock the recieving drive before I started it. And at the moment, since I went to sleep between then and now, I double checked to make sure both drives were unlocked and am now trying to clone the drive again. Hopefully this will work, if not, then I need an alternate route; although, I have finally found a couple people, one local, one not, that have decided to help out quite a bit, so this should get done... Eventually. :(

i used slayers auto installer on my xbox and it worked awesome, just slapped the hard drive in there after soft modding it and ran the CD. had the whole thing up and working in like 15 mins.

Well, I tried that, and it would not boot from the CD or DVD without the original HDD. BUT! I got it working, after a couple tries using the Clone HDD option I got it to work. Although now I'm stuck trying to get the F: partition to show up on my Xbox. I've already tried once to format the F: partition, and I'm doing it again as we speak and hopefully that will get it to work.

Alright, sweet action, HDD works, F: partition works, ripping my Ozzy - Live At Budokan DVD right now to test. Life is good! :cool:

Back