Softice 2.x and Windows 2000 HELP!

Krozgen

n00b
Crud, I'm screwed :) I installed Softice 2.x, can't remember which, can't tell now, and everything was fine... until today. I installed the new service pack (4?) for win2k, and now every time "Windows is starting up", I get a BSOD for about 2 seconds, then a reboot. Can anyone help? Just send me an email... assassin AT bunnie DOT net, and I'll try whatever you say. Removing softice also didn't work, as I tried booting up in safe mode (successfully), but the WINDOWS POS INSTALLER can't run in safe mode... dandy :-( Someone, please help... until we find a solution, i'm stuck in linux (which isn't so bad), but i really need windows back.

Thanks for any help,
Krozgen

Start, Run, type 'regedit' , hit enter

Go to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Look through for references to softice, delete anything else that looks suspicious.

Boot to safe mode, go to c:\docs and settings\username\start menu\progs\startup... check the same thing here. Check all usernames to make sure there is nothing in startup

Also, the BSOD usually tells you what's wrong, if removing those items doesn't help post the actual message so we can look at it.

Was it a legitimate, paid for, properly installed version of softice?

psychosonik, your message starts out as though you're assuming I can get into windows (you say boot into safemode AFTER removing it from the registry) was that just a bit of confusion, should I start that order of instructions in safemode?

and as to Vinnie, I'll say yes; my friend has it legit., and he lent it to me. Sorry I don't have my own license, I was just checking it out, and that's why I'm pissed it fubarred my pc so badly.

Sorry, ya I was meaning boot to safemode first, then check the reg keys, and then check the startup files. I'm guessing if softice is bombing one of your drivers, you can fix that by preventing it from starting. Did you modify some of your drivers w/ it prior to the SP?

No, didn't mod any drivers. I'ma do what u said in a few hrs, now is an inopportune moment. Post result l8r.

Tried damn near everything. There was NOTHING relating to softice in any of those locations, even checked other common startup methods. I found out how to disable softice, did that, still crashes. Instead of removing softice (seemingly impossible), I'm going for removing the service pack, since that seems to be the problem. Any way to remove the service pack? Through CD? I dunno how to do it, never had to. Please leave quick response, really needing desktop now.

God is on my side!!!

I uninstalled SP4, and boom, i can log in normally... now to get that ACCURSED softice offa my machine. Thanks for the help!

Wow, you're lucky. SP's usualy don't "uninstall" the way we think of them. It usually maims the system. Good thing you kept the backup archive checked when you installed it. I would backup asap and re-do windows from the ground up. I would have to guess your system is a tad unstable now... good luck... :cool:

Originally posted by psychosonik
Wow, you're lucky. SP's usualy don't "uninstall" the way we think of them. It usually maims the system. Good thing you kept the backup archive checked when you installed it. I would backup asap and re-do windows from the ground up. I would have to guess your system is a tad unstable now... good luck... :cool:

if you have system restore enabled then "uninstalling" a service pack won't be a problem because system restore does a backup right before the install of any service pack (at least i believe win2k after service pack 2 or 3 had system restore added)

Back