SoftBank shares swept up in AI chip frenzy ahead of Arm IPO

erek

[H]F Junkie
If you’re liking the Arm IPO you'll love the RISC-V IPO

“SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son, who has argued that the rise of artificial intelligence drives his investments, has also been caught up in recent enthusiasm for generative AI, which proponents compare to the arrival of the internet.

"He feels that 'finally my time has come'," SoftBank Chief Financial Officer Yoshimitsu Goto told reporters at an earnings briefing last month.”

1685710442156.png

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/fi...t-up-ai-chip-frenzy-ahead-arm-ipo-2023-06-02/

At this point if McDonald's doesn't mention AI then I'd be surprised.

Reactions: erek
like this
If you’re liking the Arm IPO you'll love the RISC-V IPO

“SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son, who has argued that the rise of artificial intelligence drives his investments, has also been caught up in recent enthusiasm for generative AI, which proponents compare to the arrival of the internet.

"He feels that 'finally my time has come'," SoftBank Chief Financial Officer Yoshimitsu Goto told reporters at an earnings briefing last month.”

View attachment 574120
Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/fi...t-up-ai-chip-frenzy-ahead-arm-ipo-2023-06-02/
Arm is drastically different then risc-v. A risc-v IPO is nonsensical in comparison to the Softbank owned arm.

I think it would have been more interesting to see what nvidia would have done with arm.

Arm is drastically different then risc-v. A risc-v IPO is nonsensical in comparison to the Softbank owned arm.

I think it would have been more interesting to see what nvidia would have done with arm.
That sounds like endorsements of a monopoly and antitrust situations.

The chip industry has shown that digital logic poses such a significance to society that in a world containing capitalism monopolies will persist. As are they nessisary to generate the resourses to push this technology forward.

The interests of nvidia in arm are technology based. Nvidia has shown its willingness to thrive in capitalism as many tech giants have, they also show abit more eagerness to develop and infuse acquired technologies, unlike intel whom largely fumbled large accusations.

Softbank is in no position to do anything but milk arm for what they can. The arm architecture is vital to computation, rivaling x86. Risc-v isnt even remotely close to the scope covered by arm or x86. As the prominent architecture and implementation of custom asics in silicon changes I'd rather see nvidia take their spot and accelerate the shift then Softbank stagnating and arm only slowly clawing territory from x86 as a result of mobile development and Apple's access to the architecture.

The chip industry has shown that digital logic poses such a significance to society that in a world containing capitalism monopolies will persist. As are they nessisary to generate the resourses to push this technology forward.

The interests of nvidia in arm are technology based. Nvidia has shown its willingness to thrive in capitalism as many tech giants have, they also show abit more eagerness to develop and infuse acquired technologies, unlike intel whom largely fumbled large accusations.

Softbank is in no position to do anything but milk arm for what they can. The arm architecture is vital to computation, rivaling x86. Risc-v isnt even remotely close to the scope covered by arm or x86. As the prominent architecture and implementation of custom asics in silicon changes I'd rather see nvidia take their spot and accelerate the shift then Softbank stagnating and arm only slowly clawing territory from x86 as a result of mobile development and Apple's access to the architecture.
Huh what about complacency and industry stagnation due to the monopolies and antitrust scenarios, also anticompetitiveness

Huh what about complacency and industry stagnation due to the monopolies and antitrust scenarios
The resourses required to create modern cpus, gpus, and hpc silicon are so great that anything other then a few technology giants is improbable to support. You have to let these companies get huge, build foundries, invest in software tools, work with and acquire other companies. 2 or more is enough competition. AMD and Intel have done fine in the computer space (with intel being arguably worse regarding hostile shenanigans), both are posed to continue pushing the field and related technology forward. Apple has secured a position with their arm implementation, Nvidia is doing fine but as far as competition on prominent architecture is concerned they would be better off with arm.

This industry is of a massive scope and impact. Unfortunately, supporting something like this requires letting these entities ballon and consume almost all, and you just have to hope the companies do minimal evil,

Reactions: erek
like this
Compared to the potential bankruptcy and pure incompetence of SoftBank and their bumbling "investments" that continue to fail over and over, NVIDIA would have been a much saner choice.
Well, before the last Computex 2023 conference... :whistle:

Back