Soft 'Shut Down' option missing

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I have a Windows XP pc that I went to restart and I selected 'Start', then 'Turn off Computer' and then next pops up a little box, but the only option in that is 'Log Off Windows'. I can either 'Switch users' or 'Log off' and that is it. There is no longer a 'Turn Off' or 'Restart'.

I also did Ctrl, Alt, Del and same thing. The turn off and restart are grayed out, it will only allow switching.

Anyone got any clues of what is up and how to fix it?

Hmm, sounds a bit odd - I'm guessing this is a home PC and not conencted to a domain, etc. at work where group policies would come in to play correct?

Might go into RegEdit and check the following two keys:

1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

Look for an entry called NoClose and set it to 0. Reboot (might hit the power button to force a reboot or hold for 5 seconds for shutdown) and see if it resolves the issue.

If that's not it, I'm not sure what else would be causing the issue - of all the problems I've ever run across as a tech with WinXP, that's not one of them :(

Yep, just a plain jane home desktop computer, running Win XP Pro.

1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

1. Shows NoDriveTypeAutoRun
2. Shows HonorAutoRunSetting

That is the only thing that is shown under either of those. I have seen this once before many, many years ago, but have long since forgot how I fixed it. I created a new string value and added the NoClose thing in those places and it completely removed the 'Turn Off' from the start menu. Now, when I click Start, the only thing that shows up is 'Log Off'

After that, I went back and completely deleted that NoClose and rebooted and now it is showing up now, the turn off and restart. Go figure.

Last edited:
Are you using remote desktop to get to this machine?

oops, reading fail for me. Looks like you were not.

Last edited:
Back