• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SOCOM 4

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 27, 2008
Messages
1,435
No talk of SOCOM 4 at all? I thought this game was coming out later this year, but I saw it in the Best Buy ad yesterday.
 
I haven't heard anything positive about this game. That plus the fact that it is coming out the same day as Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat is going to be ugly for sales.
 
Just a heads up for those looking to buy...

I'll be picking up the move bundle version from BB ($150) and grabbing KZ3 for $20 (after $10 GC) - seems like a good enough deal to me.

Move bundle
Gun Accessory
S4
KZ3 (you have the option of this, GT:5 or LBP2)
Normally $250, BB tomorrow $170 + tax (plus a future $10 GC through rewards zone gamer membership)
 
I played the open beta while it was up, and that was enough for me to realize I wanted to wait until it drops in price and see if they make some core changes.

(Before anyone says its a BETA, the beta started about 4 weeks before release and ran until 5 days before release - discs were already being printed during the "beta". Obviously you can patch it, but the core game was already finished.)

I never played confrontation, but spent years playing Socom 1 and 2, and tried to play S3. I feel like 4 is a step in the right direction, but it still does not regain the feel that made Socom 1 and 2 such great games.
The changes they made for Socom 3 (32 players, vehicles, and core game engine changes) totally ruined the experience for me, but the Socom 4 beta was pretty enjoyable on classic mode (more like Socom 2). The maps and removing the real world special forces feeling from the game in favor of a hypothetical team of
seemingly super hero soldiers (as well as removing lean, climbing, over the shoulder view instead of over the head and zooming in the camera way too close) makes me know I would just wish I was playing a socom 2 remake the entire time.

I know Zipper has stated they are preparing a patch to move the camera back by 30% which should improve things. Hopefully they will continue to tweak the game to gain the socom feel back and then I can pick it up later. Right now it feels like the answer to a question no one was asking...hopefully they can change it into a Socom 2 sequel that some folks have been waiting on for almost 8 years now.
 
I walked in to my local wal-mart & saw 2 stands. One for MK9 & one for Socom 4..... MK9 was almost sold out.. Socom 4 on the other hand... literally... full shelf of the game still.. xD
 
I got it and I really like it. Not going to lie and say its a super quality game build wise but I have a lot of fun on it. Played like 30 hrs on the beta.

If anyone wants to play hit me up: Darkhunta139

I can't sign into freaking playstation network right now on my PC or PS3. Anyone else having trouble?
 
I know Zipper has stated they are preparing a patch to move the camera back by 30% which should improve things. Hopefully they will continue to tweak the game to gain the socom feel back and then I can pick it up later. Right now it feels like the answer to a question no one was asking...hopefully they can change it into a Socom 2 sequel that some folks have been waiting on for almost 8 years now.

It always surprises that Socom 1 and 2 still have such loyal fans. Socom 3 and beyond have been travesties.
 
I was hoping this game was going to be better than the last, but the reviews have me disappointed.

oh well.
 
Back
Top