• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Socket P Heat Sink

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
373
I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade the CPU coolers on my T7500s that are being used as low power Servers. I'm having a hard time finding anything that'll work because the T7500s are Socket P CPUs. The main reason I'm looking to upgrade is the fact that the 40mm fan that is crudely strapped to the top are fairly annoying, and do little to actually cool the minuscule Heat Sink . I'd rather move to a large passive cooler (getting support from dual thermally controlled case-fans 2" away), or at least a less annoying active cooler. I know that there is no standard for Socket P, so it's quite hard to find anything that matches.

I took a number of measurements, and the bolt pattern for tying the Heat Sink to the board is a 41.5mm x 41.5mm measured on center, and confirmed by rotating the heatsink my 90* and remounting. The amount of space available before running into board components is basically 50mm x 50mm by roughly 60mm tall (1.5u case). Obviously, you gain more room the further away form the board you get.
 
I used to run a Pentium M in my car-pc and it used a socket P cooler (there is a standard, you should have 4 screw holes around the socket). I think it was a Dynatron brand cooler. Look around online there are some places that stock them as well as eBay. They have stuff that is designed to be fanless, stuff with fans, and also stuff with little blowers which I tend to prefer when in a height limited situation.

EDIT: Here is something I found on a quick google search, http://compare.ebay.com/like/400246160172?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y
and here is another one: http://mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DI31G&cat=200
 
Back
Top