Socket A system won't boot. Don't know what else to check...

mpcamer1220

[H]ard|Gawd
The one in my sig....

A few nights ago, we had a storm, the computer was plugged into my battery back up, we lost power for a few seconds and it stayed on fine... Lost it again, and unlike every other time... the monitor for it starts saying No Signal......

Well, last night I took it all apart. I switched in a 1600+ and a 1700+, still didn't work. I put the 2500+ in a different motherboard and it worked.

So its not the processor.

Not the psu, the motherboard gets power and can turn on the fans and everything... The monitor just doesn't get a signal, I also have used 3 monitors... Happens on all of them..

The video card works on a different mobo and the ram does too...

Im stuck, I don't know what else to check.... Any ideas?

Sounds like the motherboard. You've done a pretty good job of isolating all the other components. The only other thing you might could isolate would be to put in a PCI graphics card to rule out the slot itself being fried.

I have tried 2 pci video cards in 3 different slots. I have also cleared the cmos, I have had this problem before if I oc it too much or did something the bios didn't like. But if I cleared the cmos and unplugged the computer it would work, sometimes it did take about an hour or so of clearing the cmos and stuff like that before it worked but it always did.. This has been a few days though :(

I was in bed when it happened and once the monitor came back on and said no signal, I got up and smelled everything, nothing was burnt/fried from what I could tell..

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming..

Hmm... now it is beeping when I turn it on, then after a few times a siren comes on, I will try to get a .wav for you guys..

Edit - Sometimes it beeps, sometiems it doesn't.. Then sometimes it sounds like a siren...

http://jcamer.com/matthew/nf7s.wav That is all I can get out of it now... Could it be a bad Bios chip or battery?

The beep that you rec'd sounds odd....but usually when you get a beep over an over its bad ram.

Now the odd thing is sometimes it does, and doesn't...

First thing pull the ram, turn it on, see if the beeps are the same or different and let us know.

as stated above, that's the motherboard saying something's up with the RAM. Try just 1 stick and try it in various slots.

Still beeps with no ram. Beeps with 1 stick (thats all that I have been using to find out whats wrong) I have 4 256mb sticks that I am using. Tried slots 1-3 seperate times, each one beeps. Sometimes its quiet for about 10-20+ seconds then it starts beeping... Replaced the battery, that did nothing... Still nothing on the monitor.

Sounds like the mobo definteley. I had an NF7 die on me as well. RMA it. Abit is a pretty good company to RMA with.

Yes, and it is the same psu I used to try the 2500+ on two other motherboards, plus it is getting power and the LEDs, fans and all that stuff works.. just not signal :(

Snotrocket said:
Sounds like the mobo definteley. I had an NF7 die on me as well. RMA it. Abit is a pretty good company to RMA with.

Thats what I will probally have to do... Just have to find my invoice and everything..

I would try another stick o ram just to be sure.
I had a machine with 4 matched sticks of crucial the other day all zapped

^^Oh ok, well if you can conclude the other three are good, prolly a mobo :(

mpcamer1220 said:
Yes, and it is the same psu I used to try the 2500+ on two other motherboards, plus it is getting power and the LEDs, fans and all that stuff works.. just not signal :(

Thats what I will probally have to do... Just have to find my invoice and everything..

You don't need an invoice. Fill out an RMA form on Abit's site and you will be good to go.

Back