socket A oc'in

smut

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I got some old parts Im giving a friend and he wants a good amd cpu socket a that can overclock fairly well. Should I suggest to him with a mobile cpu or one of those new semprons considering how cheap they are.

the mobile has the barton core and the semprons are the t bird core..So you got more cache on the mobile but higher prices and hard to find OR less cache on the semrpon but very available and very cheap

A mobile Barton core would be great for overclocking if he is limited to socket A. It would kill ANY socket A Sempron.

And the Semprons are super-locked..So if your frind will want to max out the FSB, they'll need to be able to drop the multi - not possible w/out a mobile chip.

Okay I found a couple options

AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile 1.8GHz 45W 266MHz Barton CPU OEM
Price: $96.99

AMD Athlon XP 2600 Mobile 47W Barton CPU OEM
Price: $107.99

those two are from svc.com, a site a fellow forum guy recommended to me.

MD ATHLON XP MOBILE 2400+ 45W OEM $81.00
and this is from mwave...

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08GHz 333FSB 512KB Processor *** Free 2nd Day ***
$139.00 and this was from zipzoom

whats your guys suggestion on those choices...im thinking just bite the bullet and get the xp barton ??

these are the only site that are currently selling them in stock that I have found...and then there is the regular barton core right up there on zipzoom but its kinda high price.

okay Im gonna grab that. Lets hope theyre still in stock. I was reading this site doesnt like to update their online inventories.

damn, called to verify it was in stock before I gave them CC info and placed the order and whattayaknow, 2500 and 2600 out of stock at svc. figures. Guess im gonna try mwave for the 2400+

im about to grab one of those xp bartons for myself though...kinda high but i could use an upgrade for my dvd burner/htpc

IIRC, the Semprons are Thoroughbred derived, which means 1/2 the cache, so go mobile. Also, odds are better of hitting higher speeds due to the mobile binning which tends to hand pick better chips, ymmv.

I wouldn't worry about lowering the multi too much however, because in my experience most Socket A boards couldn't stay stable much over 220 or so anyways. If I were you, I'd shoot for something like a 12 multiplier and see how much FSB you can get up to. Or isolate and start with a 8x and see what the max fsb is, then work from there.

well I got the mobile 2400+ because thats ALL I could get. Gotta get some ram to match now. any recommendations on some high quality PC3200 RAM right now? Any good deals floating around? Thanks for the suggestions homies :D

Back