Socket A, AGP; Anyone else with midieval rigs?

I am still using the one in my signature, as game and browsing machine.

I have a newer one

Amd x2 3800+
asus 690 motherboard
2gb corsair memory
320 gb of harddrive

I used that one as HTPC for ExpressVu.

Here is update

Socket A 1200+
A7V133
1 GB RAM
80 GB HDD
ATI 9000

Last edited:
AMD 64 3000+ (S939)
2 GB PC3200
K8N Neo2 (Nf3)
7800 GS OC
WD3200KS (320GB)
Antec 480w PSU

=============================

Upgrading tonight to:
QX6850
4 GB DDR2 1000
Radeon HD 4870
P5Q Pro

It's been a long time waiting to get this, but I screwed myself by buying an AGP board at it's EOL without researching. :rolleyes:

Honestly this is my main rig for now since my <still ancient> Pentium 4 exploded (again).

Specs of the ancient and dead Pentium 4 (in sig) (dead as of 4 days ago)
Dell Dimention 8200
2.53 GHz Pentium 4
512MB RAMBUS!!! PC800
80GB IDE Seagate (after 2 IBM Deathstars died)
Geforce 4 MX420 (dead) so I got a 5900 Ultra (that died too), then a 9500Pro (it exploded so that died as well) and finally it ended up with a 9800 Pro 128mb AGP
Windows XP Home SP3

Computer I have to use for now as I have no money because I spent it all on a semi-defective Ultrasharp 2007FP.
Dell Optiplex GX110
933MHz (upgraded from 667)
384MB PC133
6GB and 300GB HDDs
Integrated i810 video (can't do 1600 x 1200 in 24-bit and doesn't even have 32-bit for even 640 x 480...so no transparencies for me)
Windows 2000 SP4 Pro

933MHz computer with integrated is painful in 2008. At least its better than the Celeron 500MHz with 64mb ram that I was using 2-3 days ago before I brought the Optiplex up from the basement. Opera didn't like it very much :mad:.

I originally built a rig back in 03 but lightning messed it up. For a long time I had no computer until recently I mixed stuff from my Socket A comp and my brothers socket A comp. The specs were

AMD Barton 3000+
80gb WD
768mb ram
FIC Au13 (nforce 2..basically same board asEPoX 8RGA+ i believe)
Geforce 7900 GS
cheap 4.1 speakers
380 Antec PSU

But then the video card took a crap about a month ago so I decided to rebuild the comp so I could play BF2, CS:S, and AOEIII etc nicely.

Now its

Barton 3000+
2.5 GB DDR400 Ram
80gb x 2 WD's (had one laying around)
ATI X800 XT
Antec 380w PSU
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

I thought about going for the 3200 barton with the 400 fsb as they saw around a 10 fps increase in ingame benchmarks but thought maybe it wasn't worth it. Next on the list will be either a Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 system or Logitech Z-5500.

Im not sure when I'll be able to build another mid/mid-high leve rig so I just decided to give this one cpr.

I've still got a couple oldies plugging along nicely, both of which were pretty heavily used up until a month or so ago when I upgraded. Here's the builds:

P4 3.2E, MSI i865PE, 4x512mb 500mhz Corsair mem, x800XT AIW AGP
Athlon XP 2100+, MSI KT3 Ultra, 2x512mb mem, TI4600

Both are sitting on old 80gb HDs (the p4 box with an old extra IDE 250gb drive for movies and the like-its my "htpc" now)

I've gotten plenty of good years out of both of them, with very little problems (a cheaper PSU or two)

look at sig, I bought that Barton when it was AMD fastest process on the market... a soo long agooo

It's an oldie, but it got me through 300+ hours of oblivion! ...not to mention countless hours carrying a TMP or pump shotty in CS:S. And I'm now working my way through NWN2:Motb. I'm more than happy with the length I've gotten out of this old box.

Asus A7N8X -deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
X850XT
1GB corsair something or other
120gb WD caviar HDD
Antec SLK3700

I have 2 older rigs and both are running great since I built them new

My other rig used for email, spreadsheets, financial, etc. Running for 7 years no problems

Asus P4B Socket 478
Intel P4 2.2 ghz
2X512 PC 133 ( first I845 Chipset that support memory other than Rambus
WD IDE 80 gb hard disk
Win XP Pro SP3
GeForc4 MX 440 (64 MB)
Verbatim CD Writer
24" Acer LCD

My Wife's Rig

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Socket 462 (A)
Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton)
2X512 mb PC3200 Dual Channel
250 GB Seagate IDE HD
Visiontek AGP 8X (128 mb)
Win XP Pro SP3
Sony 710A DVD Writer
Acer 20" LCD

Of course neither rig is as fast as current hardware, but neither is really slow either. Both have been running for several years(4+) with no problems. Very stable and little maintenance. Updated regularly.All are on a network and Internet

I have a ~5 year old Dell that runs on P4 (Socket 478) and a GeForce MX 400 AGP Card. It still runs great if I format it every once in a while.

Well, as a last hurrah, I am on this list, but if you peep the sig, it's changing soon.

I am on an AMD 2800+ not overclocked with 1GB RAM. I've maxed out the motherboard and the ATI Radeon 9800 doesn't go into 3D mode without crashing.

Needless to say, I'm done trying to stretch this thing and building a new one next week.

Then another 6 months down, I will build a nice Nehelm(sp) system for my wife. :)

My rig is sigged. I haven't upgraded for the simple reason that this rig has been the most solid computer I've ever owned. Goes months without a reboot. Plays everything I want to pretty darn well, though there's no question it's time for an overhaul. When Nehalem comes out, I'll probably be compelled to take advantage of the dirt cheap quad core CPU's.....:p

I remember my last Socket 462 system. Its running as a small file server.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
1.5GB of RAM
X800SE 256 AGP
80GB WD HDD
CD RW/DVD ROM combo drive.

"Current" rig is in my sig under Desktop; however, it pretty much decided to take a dump so it's currently not in a functional state. I'm using my laptop as my main PC at the moment until I get my paycheck so I can finally build myself a state of the art rig :D.

Sitting away in my closet I still have a semi assembled 462 system

Mobile AXP 2500 @ 2.6ghz:D With Zalman CNPS CU7700
2X512MB Geil 2-2-2-5 Ram
2X80GB 7200.8 Sata HDD's
Abit NF7-S
AIW X800XL 256MB

Just reading through this thread makes me want to fire that system up again, it treated me well for a looong time.

One dissapointing thing was when S754 came out I picked up a 2800+ A64 (1.8GHZ) and it benched (and ran games) almost as high as the XP @ 2.6ghz but thats technology for you.

my server used to be a socket A system, but i burnt out the mobo somewhow, so now its Socket 939...

lol

My Main rig
Motherboard - PCChips M848A (v5.0) SiS Socket A ATX

I just picked up one of those at a garage sale, along with 2 other socket A boards (An MSI NForce2 board, and an Asus NForce2 board), also an Athlon XP 2800+, and two AthlonXP 1800+, a Raidmax Mirage 278 case with the insides rattle-can painted metallic red, and a milk crate full of PCI slot fans and cables and assorted crap...... all for $20. :D

Needless to say a couple of my family's ancient machines got much needed upgrades.

Familys rig-

Athlon XP 1800+ (Throughbred clocked up like a champ when it was in a better mobo)
Asus MATX nForce1 motherboard
1gb OCZ DDR 3200
Geforce FX 5200 128mb
80gb PATA WD HDD
16x CD-RW and 4x DVD Rom

originally used the onboard GF2mx and had only 256mb ram plus a 40gb IBM Deathstar.

Mobo at some point was replaced with a DFI nForce2 which ramped the chip up to the 2ghz range, rest of the components were replaced with a 2500+(@3200+) and a 6600GT plus new ram and video. old stuff was put back together and the 2500+ system was eventually sold.

Then brough my current rig which when new consisted of:

AMD Athlon64 3200+
1gb OCZ DDR 3200
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI
Geforce 6600GT
Maxtor 120gb SATA HDD.

Along the way to its current state it gained another 512mb of ram for 1.5gb ghettoness, a 7800GT and later a second one for SLI and another maxtor HDD. before eventually getting a dual core, some good ram, the raptor and finally the 8800GTS and x-fi.

My mate is using a 939 with Athlon 3400+, x800GT, and 1gig of ram. It runs CSS pretty well but not much else which is quite strange.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo-P4 3.2 oc at 3.52
3 Gb of 400 MHz Dual Channel Ram
Dual Raptors in 0 Raid Array
Running XP SP 3
Have had since 2004.
Breathed new life into my AGP system. Picked up a "new-oem" nVidia GeForce 7900GS w/256mb of 256 bit memory. How sweet it is! Got it thru eBay from an Aussie for about $200 USD w/shipping. Was as advertised! Overclocked with RivaTuner - Core at 584 MHz and Memory at 1480 MHz. With stock cooler idles at 49c and peaks at about 72c under stress test.
I'm good to go for a few years til I build another system. Not a huge gamer but like to fire up my Mech Warriors from time to time. Do mostly Photo editing and music etc.

lol jsmac, what was his ebay name? might have been one of my mates (i'm an aussie myself)

Hi Soundguy!
Got this card from "videocardshop". Might be a business with more than one bloke - don't know. All I know is they've got nvida agp cards that can't be had here anymore. I had gotten an ATI card but the drivers available were so poor and buggy I returned it to Newegg and ate the restocking fee.

Since I only use my new system for gaming, I still use my old system for everything else.

Specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus A7N8x-E Deluxe
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2ghz/400mhz fsb
RAM: 1gb Corsair PC3200 (2x 512mb)
GFX: Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Audio: Soundblaster Live! Value + Nforce2 Integrated Audio + Logitech USB Headset
HDD: 60gb Maxtor, 80gb Seagate, 500gb Seagate

This thing is still running strong after 4+ years. It runs Vista surprisingly well despite only having a gig of ram, and that's with all the bells and whistles (including Dreamscene) running. I want to throw another gig or two of ram into it because I know I'm maxing out the puny 1gb that's in it right now.

I use this rig for everything from web surfing to playing Starcraft to capturing video footage from old vhs tapes (which is why I have a 500gb hdd sitting in it).

still running two single core AMD boxes...

Box #1
Mobo: Asus A7S8X-MX
CPU: Sempron 2500+ (skt 462)
RAM: 512mb Wintec PC2700 (1x 512mb)
HDD: 80gb Samsung PATA

Box #2
Mobo: Asus K8V-MX
CPU: Sempron 64 2800+ (skt 754)
RAM: 512mb SuperTalent PC3200 (1x 512mb)
HDD: 250gb WD2500KS SATA

ordered 1gb Crucial PC3200 RAM today from newegg for #1.
looking to retire #1 when prices on quads drop a bit.

Any advice for extending the life of #2 (ram, cpu, video) or should I retire it as well?

Blast from the past. It's been awhile but I thought I'd bump this up and see how everyone's doing, or if anyone else has prehistoric builds they'd like to share.

As for me, I'm still using the system I posted on the first page as my main rig, except my 6800GS (and all RMAs I've received) have died on me so I stuck an old FX5700 in it so at least I can play Starcraft...

wow... how'd u get xp installed with only 1 "meg" of pc2700? i didn't even know they made modules that small. :p

lol i think he ment gig :p

but i have an:
athlon XP 1700+ overclocked to a 2000+
cheapo pc-chips motherboard
512mb ram
radeon 9500 pro soft modded to radeon 9700
4x4 port sata PCI cards
16x1TB WD GP drives

this is my network/file server sitting in my closet.. in a 10 year old aluminum case designed to only hold 2 hard drives.. its been heavily modified to support 16 drives.. which has been running with 0 issues for a little over a year and half since i installed all 16 drives.. before that it had 4x750GB IDE drives..

and no im not going to post pictures because i dont feel like disconnecting everything to take it out of my closet

I have a Geforce TI300 AGP 4X or 8X card laying around... That's about as old as I've got right now. I think my Socket A system is AGP, though I have a 5200 in it. It's got a Mobile Barton 2600+, though I cannibalized the RAM for my 939 system.

The RAM I did have in that system, back during it's heyday, was GEIL 2X256 meg PC3200. I recall OCing my Opteron 270, and was able to more than double the speed of the RAM, and it was stable. Didn't touch the timings either. I think the Motherboard was my limiting factor.

My sig is probably 3 years out of date.

The oldest working system I have is a 600MHz P3, I think. I've gotten rid of a lot of my really old components, although I do still have a few other P3 systems around as well as a whole bunch of CPUs, RAM chips, cards, and other assorted components (I have a box full of old CD-ROM drives somewhere as well :D). As for my main rig, that was upgraded quite considerably since the last time I posted in this thread.

The oldest working system I have is a 600MHz P3, I think. I've gotten rid of a lot of my really old components, although I do still have a few other P3 systems around as well as a whole bunch of CPUs, RAM chips, cards, and other assorted components (I have a box full of old CD-ROM drives somewhere as well :D). As for my main rig, that was upgraded quite considerably since the last time I posted in this thread.

You beat me. I have a 800MHz P3, using that slot-A socket for the CPU and ancient memory, but it still does things okay :)

going through my closet over the weekend and i came across my duron 600 rig just for giggles i pulled it out and plugged it up. The thing still booted straight into windows xp and is still OC'd to 1ghz. I will see if i can get the full specs of it in this thread later. I do know that it has a Voodoo3 3000 (16m) AGP in it. other specs are not coming to me right now.

I think I've sold all my "ancient" rig parts already. The only pre-Core2 stuff I have is a P4C 2.4Ghz... unless I dig deeper into my closet, lol.

You beat me. I have a 800MHz P3, using that slot-A socket for the CPU and ancient memory, but it still does things okay :)

:eek: I didn't know they came in Slot-A "socket." :p

no but i do have a prehistoric rig. sold 65 year old neighbor a desk/monitor/mouse/speakers/keyboard/with a 233 mhz pentium 2 with 192 mb of ram on a supermicro board running ubuntu with a sbawe. she leaches of my internet connection. all for 100 bucks.

My main rig is in my sig.

My Retro Gaming rig, however is using quite old hardware... a lot of it is salvaged stuff except for the
V5-5500 which I bought brand new.

Asus K7M motherboard
Slot-A Athlon overclocked to 1018Mhz - using a modified stock S939 Opteron 4-heatpipe heatsink on top of the stock heat spreader... even $60 Slot-A coolers sucked when they came out compared to this.
768Mb PC-100 SDRAM
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
Sound Blaster Awe64 Gold - horrid to figure out how to configure properly for DOS games that don't natively support it.
40Gb IDE hard drive
3.5" floppy
Modified and rewired Micron Millineum case.
Windows 98SE

well I built this in 2006

AMD FX55
Asus a8n32-SLI deluxe
G.Skill 4GB DDR500
SeaSonic 600w M12
MSI 7900GS
2x500GB

then I fried the video card, sold the pieces off and bought a laptop, sold that and now im on my ex-main rig

AMD Athlon XP @ 1250Mhz
random MSI mobo
512mb DDR266
60GB hard drive
random 450w PSU
eVGA fx5200 <--yeah i know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1

There were quite a few Slot 1 Pentium III chips. I had several of them over the years.

Ok, since my tongue faces weren't obvious enough, I thought it was funny how he said it was a "slot-A socket." Also, you were *sure* he meant slot1, but the fact that he also said "socket" could mean that he meant socket 370. Again, all jokes/sarcasm, but I guess not obvious enough.
shrug.gif
I know there were slot1 P3's, I've sold about 20 of them, lol.

Last edited:
Ok, since my tongue faces weren't obvious enough, I thought it was funny how he said it was a "slot-A socket." Also, you were *sure* he meant slot1, but the fact that he also said "socket" could mean that he meant socket 370. Again, all jokes/sarcasm, but I guess not obvious enough.
shrug.gif
I know there were slot1 P3's, I've sold about 20 of them, lol.
You used an odd combination of smilies, so I wasn't sure exactly what you meant :).

Back